Did Beefy break his new bike?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011

Did Beefy break his new bike?

Hi everyone. New to fixed gear, new to forum. Today was my first time out on my new bike, Surly Steamroller. I rode a few easy miles; really love the bike so far.

Rode to a vacant parking lot to practice panic stops. All was well till I stopped hard with just my legs a few times. Immediately after, the drivetrain skipped. Decided to head home and it will skip under moderate acceleration or deceleration.

Common ailment for larger riders with fixed? I'm about to head to the garage for a cold beverage and to check if anything obvious is loose. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

vexatious enigma
    Check the chain tension. That is a big one. That is about the only reason why it should be skipping if everything is new. It is pretty easy to yank the wheel loose if you didn't tighten down the rear wheel enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio
    Unlike Roebuck, you do "do" people.
    Maybe Judas did it for a Klondike bar.

Life in the fast lane with no brakes

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Loose chain?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Thanks, you guys are fast. Chain is quite snug, rear wheel is on tight. This may require multiple beverages and/or a trip back to LBS tomorrow.

vexatious enigma
    Quote Originally Posted by brobro
    Thanks, you guys are fast. Chain is quite snug, rear wheel is on tight. This may require multiple beverages and/or a trip back to LBS tomorrow.
    You don't need it to be too tight. A little bit of slack in the chain is good; especially with cheaper chainrings, they are not perfectly round and will put nasty stress on the chain and chainrings.

Are you using the right chain? The wrong chain width could cause issues. I'm pretty sure that the smaller chain on 1/8th gears would just fall off but it could also cause skipping.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    check that your cog &/or lockring are tight

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo425
    You don't need it to be too tight. A little bit of slack in the chain is good; especially with cheaper chainrings, they are not perfectly round and will put nasty stress on the chain and chainrings.

Are you using the right chain? The wrong chain width could cause issues. I'm pretty sure that the smaller chain on 1/8th gears would just fall off but it could also cause skipping.
    I'm guessing it's what came with the Steamroller complete from Surly. The shop seems to be straight shooters.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by markaitch
    Process of elimination and internet searching leads to that. I've read up on rotafixing the cog, but I'll leave it for the LBS tomorrow and resist further riding. All I feel like doing is going for a ride. If there are stronger components available that will resist my clyde forces, I'm all ears.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    ...If there are stronger components available that will resist my clyde forces, I'm all ears.
    big guy hubris?
    a steamroller is plenty strong. unless you are really gigantic or a jumping maniac, as long as it is properly assembled, it is quite capable of handling just about anything thrown at it. considering they blew it on the lockring...make sure that bike shop goes back over everything.
    good luck & have fun...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    [QUOTE=markaitch]big guy hubris?QUOTE]

Haha probably. Thanks for the well wishes. The short time I rode today was the most fun I've ever had on a bicycle.

\m/{-_-}\m/
    Quote Originally Posted by markaitch
    This. A lock ring tool and 30 seconds will probably solve your problem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Thanks, guys.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Sun Burn
    This. A lock ring tool and 30 seconds will probably solve your problem.
    Exactly what it was. I enjoyed a nice breezy ride yesterday and everything feels great.

vexatious enigma
    Exactly what it was. I enjoyed a nice breezy ride yesterday and everything feels great.
    Odd, Ive had the lockring and cog come loose a couple times and never heard that. I'm glad that it was a simple fix and that you're able to enjoy the bike now.