A few questions on geometry...
    Sticky Valentine

A few questions on geometry...

After reading through Nate's thread I discovered that i had another question. Not wanting to hijack his, I thought a new thread would be appropriate. thanks guys!

Right now I have a Bianchi Volpe, which my only bike, so I use it for commuting to school and wok, and I do longer rides on it as well. I find the geometry to be very comfortable. After looking it up on their website I found that for a 58, it's got a 72.5 degree HT, and a 72.5 degree ST. Looking at the Mark V, the HT is 74 degrees, and the ST is 73 degrees for a 59. This isn't as agressive as the Pista, which I'm assuming is more traditional track geometry at 75/75 degrees.

My question then is: Does the mark V offer a good balance between these two geometrys? Will it still be comfortable, while also making it a bit more maneuverable?

In your experience, does it take much getting used to a different geometry, or will I be too concerned with getting used to the fixie in general?

Is this a good start for someone new to riding in general, and that is eventually looking to use the fixie as a daily commuter and an around town bike?

Also, for anyone who has dealt with IRO, do you know if i will be able to get bullhorns and one of those Cane Creek levers for a front brake installed on the bike, rather than his bars and whichever lever they use (making up cost differences, of course)? I don't want to call and bother them as I'm not going to be ordering till the end of the month, so if anyone has experience, lemme know.

Sorry for all of the questions. I appreciate everyone helpfullness and patience. I'm just so stoked! Thanks guys!

joe
    'They say gold paint on the palace gates comes from the teeth of pensioners
    They're so tired of shooting protest singers that they hardly mention us
    While fountains fill with second-hand perfume and sodden trading stamps
    They'll hang the bullies and the louts that dampen down the day" - EC

Travels by Map
    For the questions about components, I'm sure they'll swap out whatever you want (and charge you for it) since they sell frames and components, not just complete bikes. When you click on a complete bike description, it says "This is a starting point. You can add or change anything you like."

I'm sort of interested in the geometry question, too, although my current bike has very similar geometry to the Mark V. My bike has a STA of 74 and HTA of 73.

Done with winter.
    In my opinion, the difference isn't huge. I've ridden metric-century distances on my track bike (75/75) and as far as comfort it really didn't feel a whole lot different from my road bike, just in a sense "quicker". It does track quicker than my road bike and inputs are much smaller but after an adjustment period, it'll just add to the overall feeling of the bike.

Of course fit is paramount above all else and as long as you've done your homework, measured your current setup and gotten the fixed bike set up with similar measurements you'll be fine.

Non non normal
    My take on the measurements. First, there isn't going to be much difference in the seat tube measurements with one being 72.5 and the other being 73 degrees. Just remember, if you are going to set your bike up with KOPS, by getting your knee over the pedal at 9 o'clock, the seat rails will be back further on the seatpost clamp on the 73 degree bike. This means that if both bikes have the same top tube measurements the 73 degree bike will have a little longer reach after you postion the saddle.

The difference in the head tube angles will change how quick the bike handles. I think there is a noticable difference between a degree or two on the head tube angle. Also, if you are riding fixed, toe overlap may be an unwanted issue on the steeper head tube angles. Some people like the faster steering bikes while others don't care for it at all.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

Nov 2005
    The degree-and-a-half of difference between a 72 and a 73.5 ST angle shouldn't be a big deal; you probably won't notice it at all, in fact, if you get the other set-up dimensions to your liking.

To me, the difference between "track" and "road" geometry isn't as noticeable in the handling as it is in the comfort. The short wheelbase, close-tucked rear wheel, more vertical seat tube, and the round steel fork of the Pista make the ride seem rougher/more chattery to me, especially over longer distances.

But when I first started riding fixed, neither geometry nor comfort were issues at all - I was much more concerned with mastering the 'no pedaling' thing than with analyzing the nuances of frame design!