Finally joined the ranks...
    Michigoose

Finally joined the ranks...

Found this old bike in my roommate's parents' house...thought it would make a good fixed gear. Thus far, I've been right. Just got it finished last night, and now I'm wondering if I should strip it and paint it.

Gearing is 42 x 16, kind of weak, but perfect for commuting on campus (MSU is very flat) and I don't mind spinning 130 if I have to. Pretty easy job after I got a track hub...I'm just trying to get the stopping without brakes thing down.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yo no fui.
    Cool ride. Before working on it, you might want to consider what you're gonna use it for. If it's a townie or is gonna be locked outside, I say leave it to avoid a higher "steal me" appeal from added bling. You could then get another frame to strip and trick out in the meantime.
    "It is better to conquer yourself, than to win a thousand battles." -Dhammapada

"Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

"A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars. Laurent Fignon

Michigoose
    I was actually thinking that too...my cousin's neighbor is giving away an old 70's Peugeot, so I might have another project bike...I keep this one in my apartment except for in between classes, and I'm not too worried about people stealing it during the day as long as it's well locked. The painting thing is just a thought...I can never truly "finish" a bike; I'm sure you know what I mean.

Yo no fui.
    I hear ya. I remember that in college I really enjoyed having a bike that I wasn't crazy about having in perfect riding condition.
    "It is better to conquer yourself, than to win a thousand battles." -Dhammapada

"Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

"A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars. Laurent Fignon

RoadBikeReview Member

gearing

Quote Originally Posted by joehartley
    Gearing is 42 x 16, kind of weak, but perfect for commuting on campus (MSU is very flat) and I don't mind spinning 130 if I have to.
    Nothing "weak" about that combo, which gives you about a 70-inch gear with 27" wheels. That's just about exactly what most folks find works best for flat terrain. 90 rpm = 18 mph; 110 = 23. Sounds perfect.

Welcome to the fold. And BTW, brakes are for stopping, IMHO.

Spicy Dumpling
    Leave it as is. Like the others said, harder to steal. And 42/16 is considered the perfect gear by most riders.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

Master Bike Mechanic
    +2 on leaving it. Also, be careful of those french bikes, they were made with all french parts for a long time, well into the 80's at least.
    And shepherds we shall be, for thee my Lord for thee, power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. And We shall flow a river forth unto thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be
    In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    Leave it! God! I'd kill to 'find' a bike like that! Some people just must have very good bike karma, and you're probably one of them.

Michigoose
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggity
    Leave it! God! I'd kill to 'find' a bike like that! Some people just must have very good bike karma, and you're probably one of them.
    HA! If that's the case, I guess it's just making up for the year's worth of mishaps I had in my first year of road racing. Oh well...I'll take it though. Thanks for the kind words, all.