fixed/fixed on a fixed/free hub?
    Born from JortsŪ

fixed/fixed on a fixed/free hub?

simple question, and the search ain't cutting it.

Can I run a fixed cog on the threaded side w/o lockring threads? Any known issues?

I want to be able to flip-flop 2 different fixed gears.

thanks homies -

HW

duh...
    sure you can, but whether you want to or should will be hotly debated... with or without locktite and/or BB lockring

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

eRacer
    Yes, a Track cog will thread on, however, without a lockring, any attempt to back-pedal, skid, use legs to slow down, has the potential of unthreading the Cog. Some refer to this as a 'Suicide Hub'. Some folks also, have suggested using a BB lockring and LocTite. This is still R-Hand threads and still can potentially come off with back-pedaling.
    Having said that, before my FG, I used a Track Cog on a FreeWheel Hub and with BB Lockring and LocTite, I never had a problem. I did, however, use 2 brakes and never tried to skid.
    John Lapoint / San Diego
    God is Great, Beer is Good, and People are Crazy!

Born from JortsŪ
    cool thanks. This will be on a 2-brake bike so it should hold up ok.

hello
    I run fixed/fixed on one fixed/free wheel I have. It's just the fixed cog on the free side with nothing else, no loctite, no ring. I always use my brake but frequently back pedal to slow down and the cog has never spun loose. My backpedaling pressure will never equal my forward pedal pressure so I never worry about it ever loosening.
    SurlySteamrollerLitespeedClassicBianchiPista
    DeanColonelSurlyLongHaulTruckerKonaKu
    LitespeedFirenzeCinelliOlympic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    What John Lapoint said. Still a good idea to use a bb lockring and some loctite even with two brakes.
    Anyone who believes there are no stupid questions never worked in a bike shop.

Cumudgitude
    You might consider going the extra step of brazing or spot welding the thing in place if you know for certain you're happy with the cog. Personally I'd consider shelling out for a fixed/fixed hub. It's more money because it's a part you don't already own, but I wouldn't trust anything on my chainline without the reassurance of failsafes and lockrings.

eRacer
    Using Loctite and BB Lockring, I have done this for 1000's of miles on my Track Bike on the road with no problems. I have never had the BB Ring come off or the Cog loosen.
    I don't however do Skids.
    John
    John Lapoint / San Diego
    God is Great, Beer is Good, and People are Crazy!

hello
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlapoint
    Using Loctite and BB Lockring, I have done this for 1000's of miles on my Track Bike on the road with no problems. I have never had the BB Ring come off or the Cog loosen.
    I don't however do Skids.
    I've also had same results on different bikes over the years, but in my case without ever using Loctite and BB lockring. A cleanly threaded quality cog securely tightened will hold.
    SurlySteamrollerLitespeedClassicBianchiPista
    DeanColonelSurlyLongHaulTruckerKonaKu
    LitespeedFirenzeCinelliOlympic

m_s
    oh lonesome road for you
    Nov 2007
    It should hold fine.