Fixed/Free Project Complete
    Rodie Persona

Fixed/Free Project Complete

My dad purchased this bike when we moved from Memphis, TN to Cypress, CA in 1989. It is a double-butted steel, lugged Specialized Sirrus.

It originally had 6 speed 105 components with downtube shifters (I kept all the old hardware). I reused as many parts as I could including the bakes, stem, crank, bb, headset, and post. I purchased a Nitto Randonneur from Velo Orange, 32 h Formula/Mavic CXP22 wheels from bicyclewheels.com ($150 shipped), a WTB saddle, various odds and ends from Open Road in Pasadena.

I will be running a 42/18(free)-15(fixed) for the time being. Mainly because that's all I could coble together at Open Road. Seemed liked a good place to start. I rode it around the block a few times yesterday after the build. Gearing seems like it might get a little too easy.

I plan to ride the bike around Pasadena. There are two plans for the bike right now. I will either keep it at home and run errands with it and go for short training rides, or keep it at work and go for 45 minute training rides around the Rose Bowl at lunch.

Any recommendations how I can clean the brake hoods?
    Finding new brake hoods for a these old brakes can't be easy I would imagine.

I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

RoadBikeReview Member
    Very nice bike! the one reason I went to bullhorn bars and aero levers on my build is because, I lost one of my hoods, and could get the other clean again or find a white hoods.

Frog Whisperer
    I like that....a LOT....very pretty.... are the hoods dry or just dirty?. some may laugh but one thing that WD40 actually is good for is preserving rubber for some strange reason....imo

RoadBikeReview Member
    That is one beautiful bike. I am from Miami, that bikes screams Miami, Dolphins. Considering how they are playing right now it might not be a good thing.

You can try a white shoe polish and see if that help the hoods.

Rodie Persona
    Thanks for the comments everyone. I used some citrus cleaner today and it cleaned the hoods right up with no damage to the rubber. They now look almost as white as the cork tape.

I took the bike out or a spin this weekend. I wanted to see how the gearing worked on one of my normal training streets. The grades are between 8% and 11%. Let's just say 42x18 was not the easiest gear. Even while standing I had to put a lot into it just to keep moving.

Overall the ride was great. The steel frame, nicely raked fork, and long wheelbase leads to a nice smooth ride on the open road. I'm really looking forward to riding the bike a lot.
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

A guy from Norway