Fixed gear brake levers - comfort ?

Mar 2004

Fixed gear brake levers - comfort ?

I am (still) trying to make the shift over to fixed from years of commuting and racing on Campag ergos but just can't get the brake hoods & cabling just right for my hands.

On on bike (fixed cross setup) I am using Diacomp levers on another (Mid 80's roadbike) some old Shimano aero levers. No matter how I run the cables or locate the levers, I just can't get anywhere near a flat surface on the hoods like the Campag ergos.

Have thought of buying Record levers but they would be worth more than the rest of the bike(s). How do people set up their levers so they are comfortable on the hoods ?(assuming you use road bars & levers and run 2 brakes whcih I want).

Cheers

Oct 2002
    You don't have to get the Record Carbon levers. Any Campagnolo aero lever set you can find on ebay is going to give a flatter surface from bar top to hood than either Dia-Compe or Shimano, provided you use an anatomic bar. Anatomic bars are designed so that the hoods can be mounted level with the bar top, giving you a flat surface that runs from the stem to the end of the hood. But Shimano dropped the ball and made their hoods way too curvy to sit at the edge of the bend without sticking up and looking hideous. That's why Shimano bikes have the bar rotated lower in the clamp, robbing you of comfort. If the price of Record levers is a concern, you might consider looking for some Avanti or Mirage Ergolevers that you can gut and use. In any case, get rid of the Shimano.

Jun 1999

cowhorns?

I agree that Ergos are far more comfortable than anything else, but recently even they gave me blisters on a long ride. So, I'm looking at putting cowhorns on; if you have never used cowhorns, you'd be amazed at their comfort. This is a dead issue, then.

If you are group racing, that's not an option, but for all others, I'd at least consider it.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by GilbeyAllen
    I am (still) trying to make the shift over to fixed from years of commuting and racing on Campag ergos but just can't get the brake hoods & cabling just right for my hands.

On on bike (fixed cross setup) I am using Diacomp levers on another (Mid 80's roadbike) some old Shimano aero levers. No matter how I run the cables or locate the levers, I just can't get anywhere near a flat surface on the hoods like the Campag ergos.

Have thought of buying Record levers but they would be worth more than the rest of the bike(s). How do people set up their levers so they are comfortable on the hoods ?(assuming you use road bars & levers and run 2 brakes whcih I want).

Cheers