Forum meet Jack; Jack meet forum
    RoadBikeReview Member

Forum meet Jack; Jack meet forum

This is my Jack Taylor circa 1981. It was built up with parts from other bikes and is going to get stripped down to frame and fork and re-built with new parts. I need some suggestions, this is a super sexy frame with an awesome paint job and boxed striping pretty unique to Jack Taylor's. Its going to be a fixie and potentially a flip flop hub. This bike is my keeper so I'm willing to drop a little dough. Help me out peeps!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Zero

Zeppelin/Ultegra Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by giovanni sartori
    I need some suggestions, this is a super sexy frame with an awesome paint job and boxed striping pretty unique to Jack Taylor's. Help me out peeps!
    My only suggestion would be: when your finished, box it up and SHip it my way. I'll even spring for the shipping!
    Ride in Peace....Enjoy every sandwich......Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    This is my Jack Taylor circa 1981. It was built up with parts from other bikes and is going to get stripped down to frame and fork and re-built with new parts. I need some suggestions, this is a super sexy frame with an awesome paint job and boxed striping pretty unique to Jack Taylor's. Its going to be a fixie and potentially a flip flop hub. This bike is my keeper so I'm willing to drop a little dough. Help me out peeps!
    Sharp! If you're intent in posting the pic was to encourage envy, you've succeeded! And, as long as you're willing to break the bank, here's a completely self-serving suggestion: ship those perfectly good wheels to me; then, take a cue from the paint scheme and outfit the ride with black hoops - a pair of semi-aero CXP-33s rims in concert with those red Michelins would really accent the frame well. Hubs? Go for some Phils: nice shiny high-flanged jewels to add luster to your treasure.

Let us know when the bank forecloses ;-)

Luke

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Sweet.....How much dough you willing to drop? Is it 120 or 126 rear spacing...

I'm thinking Phil's high flange hubs..
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

Very small suggestion.

Absolutely gorgeous!!

Get some really sharp-looking stainless steel Allen head screws and nuts and install them in the rear brake bridge hole and the seat stay rack mount holes. Make sure the screws are just long enough for the nut to be flush - you don't want exposed threads. Works kind of like filling the extra bottle cage holes with screws - gives it a finished appearance instead of a "something's missing" look.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks all. The rear spacing is actually 122 so 120 hubs work without a problem. I'm leaning towards some black rims and high flange hubs. I plan to check out what Phil has to offer. I'm willing to spend a decent amount, I'm 34 and I'm keeping and riding this until I keel over. What about color of headset, type of stem, etc?

BTW, I gave the saddle to Dave for a charity bike because it was unbelievably uncomfortable, and it was a good cause so right now its saddleless. The seatpost is Campy Chorus.
    Zero

banned
    That bike gives me wood. Is there something wrong with me?

Done with winter.
    Ok here's my thinking... now that you gave away the saddle you have a chance to par down the red. Looking at the photo, it was a good thought but the red overshadows those lovely box stripes! I'd say you have to add at least a couple white items to try and bring out the striping.

Phil Wood hubs are a must, or Pauls high flange. An older Campy track crank ... the new Record track cranks would look out of place. If you do decide on more white, maybe look for some old white-hooded Shimano Aero brake levers (I think these were 105 level). If you ever think you might ride it in a possible rainy situation some tasteful chrome fenders might look nice. For rims if you want bling I'd have your LBS call up Velocity and order some polished Aeroheads or Deep Vs. As for tires, maybe a white/black striped would bring out the striping.

That's all I got, beautiful frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

nothing new.

Parts should be age appropriate on a bike as swweeet as that!
    We have nothing to lube but our chains.

Dec 2005
    bye bye cable guides...