Freewheel removal tool - WHICH ONE?!?!
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2003

Freewheel removal tool - WHICH ONE?!?!

I have an IRO Mark V with a 18t Dicta Freewheel. The freewheel has the 4 pronged female mating points. I plan on buying 16t and 17t ACS freewheels to replace the 18t Dicta.

The hub on my bike is a flip-flop fixed/freewheel hub. No idea on the threading if that is important. I understand the IRO hubs are rebranded Formula hubs.

I am 100% confused as what freewheel removal tool to get. I want one that should remove the Dicta and allow me to service the 16t and 17t ACS ones.

ACS sells there own removal tool but I'm not clear if it will remove the Dicta. I also "think" I need either the Park FR-6 or Park FR-8. At first I thought I needed the FR-6 which is for standard 1.37 x 24 tpi hub threading, but the description for the FR-8 says for use on Flip Flop hubs, but it says BMX flip-flop. Since I have a FF hub, this is throwing me off.

Ack - you guys are smart - any advice appreciated on solving this puzzle.

Militant commuter
    If it's a 4-prong, it is almost assuredly the FR-6 for standard BMX/singlespeed freewheels. BMX flip/flop hubs are very different from the F/F hubs WE know and love around here.

Be lucky you got a Dicta freewheel that is removable in the normal way...most are removed only through destructive measures (clamping the whole ugly mess into a bench vise and spinning it off).
    "Luminous beings are we...not this crude matter!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverStar
    Be lucky you got a Dicta freewheel that is removable in the normal way...most are removed only through destructive measures (clamping the whole ugly mess into a bench vise and spinning it off).
    Yes, the Dicta has the 4 prongs as well. When I first started researching this and I read a few reviews about removing the Dicta, I got real scared and went to check the bike and see if it had the prongs - YES!!!!

Thanks. I'll get the FR-6.