How'd I do?

Thread: How'd I do?

Mar 2007

How'd I do?

This past weekend I took my fixed gear on my longest ride yet, 80 miles in the MS 150 City to Shore. I did it in 4.5 hours riding time at an average speed of 17 mph. I had planned on doing the century but spent the first 20 miles with serious leg cramps that really took it out of me.

The course is mostly flat and I really had to work to keep up in the paceline with all the geary's. But it was big fun and would not do it any other way if I had a chance (except the cramps). I wasn't sure about doing a century on a fixed gear going into this, but now I know I could.

Is that a respectable ride? I don't ride with anyone who rides fixed so I have nothing to judge by.

[Wheels]
    Congrats . You rode hard and pushed yourself AND kept up with the geared folks. Sounds pretty respectable to me (of course, 50 is the farthest I've gone on my fixed, but in the hills). Not coasting for 4.5 hours seems pretty respectable too. What gear were you running?
    I'm so fast I beat people who don't even know they're racing me!

Mar 2007
    Gearing was 44/16

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a century coming up and was planning on riding the fixed. But, I've read how others here decided to flip the hub after a while, as the downhills were getting too rigorous.

Oh yeah, and I still don't know which size brake to get, 10 or 12mm. Afraid to ask the LBS since I was hoping to install it myself.

Spicy Dumpling
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine
    I have a century coming up and was planning on riding the fixed. But, I've read how others here decided to flip the hub after a while, as the downhills were getting too rigorous.

Oh yeah, and I still don't know which size brake to get, 10 or 12mm. Afraid to ask the LBS since I was hoping to install it myself.
    I had to flip on a recent century but if I would have done my pace instead of trying to keep up with the gearies I'd have been fine. Get a brake, use it and ride your own pace.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus