Inaugural ride/mystery frame
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Inaugural ride/mystery frame

I found a ridiculous deal on ebay- a mystery frame (any help identifying it?) three wheels with old Record hubs (two rears- one SS, the other fixed), Am Classic seatpost, and a bunch of Bianchi parts- and three decent tires- all for the price of a good set of road tires. I'll be replacing the stem and bars, and getting rid of the computer setup. Previous owner gave it a decent paint job... not some "Krylon touch," but what is it? It really has a nice ride- and it isn't a total boat anchor.

The first ride with the fixed wheel was yesterday, and it was like when I first purchased a stick shift- that weird anxiety of "am I crazy? I'll never get the hang of this" (mostly issues with starting and stopping). Today and I'm already getting the hang of it- and I finally see what everyone has been talking about- and I'm addicted.

Good thing I brought a wrench- I had the rear wheel slip, which locked it up against the chainstay...

BTW- our cottonwood tree is going nuts this time of year...
    Attached Images Attached Images

pi makes wheels go round
    Quote Originally Posted by filtersweep
    I found a ridiculous deal on ebay- a mystery frame (any help identifying it?) three wheels with old Record hubs (two rears- one SS, the other fixed), Am Classic seatpost, and a bunch of Bianchi parts- and three decent tires- all for the price of a good set of road tires. I'll be replacing the stem and bars, and getting rid of the computer setup. Previous owner gave it a decent paint job... not some "Krylon touch," but what is it? It really has a nice ride- and it isn't a total boat anchor.

It looks a *whole* lot like my old early 80's Trek road bike... just generic good steel from back in the day of versatile bikes. Same DOs, same brake bridge, same seat stay caps, same looking lugs...

A lot of those bikes mid-range bikes from that era looked pretty similar, though.

-Damon

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by damon
    It looks a *whole* lot like my old early 80's Trek road bike... just generic good steel from back in the day of versatile bikes. Same DOs, same brake bridge, same seat stay caps, same looking lugs...

A lot of those bikes mid-range bikes from that era looked pretty similar, though.

-Damon
    The ridiculous thing is how well this frame rides- my regular roadbike cost a fortune and is drenched in carbon, and this old steel frame rides like butter... and the two bikes weigh about the same (of course the fixed is "missing" all sorts of parts).