low flange vs. high flange hubs
    RoadBikeReview Member

low flange vs. high flange hubs

I'm just getting into SS riding and plan on trying fixed gear a little later, so with no experience I really don't know the answer to this question.
    Why do track wheels traditionally use high flange hubs instead of low flange hubs? Extra stiffness, strength or something else?
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

RoadBikeReview Member

Supposedly,

extra stiffness and strength, because of shorter spokes. Probably largely a myth, though the higher angle probably adds some lateral stiffness. Now mainly just tradition, I think.

FWIW, I think they look cool. My cobbled-together fixie has wheels I built on some old (cheap, touring-bike) Campy thread-on freewheel hubs. They're pretty beat up, but I polished them and they look nifty, I think. They roll real smooth, too.

Yo no fui.
    With most current fixies, it's tradition and/or the coolness/aesthetics factor.
    "It is better to conquer yourself, than to win a thousand battles." -Dhammapada

"Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

"A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars. Laurent Fignon

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo
    With most current fixies, it's tradition and/or the coolness/aesthetics factor.
    I've had issues with low flange hubs and freewheels. I've had the freewheel rub the spoke ends on a low flange track hub...
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

What the Hell is going on
    In the old days of track riding it would be harder to change out a broken spoke on a low flange hub, especially in the rear cog side.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

Yo no fui.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hickey
    I've had issues with low flange hubs and freewheels. I've had the freewheel rub the spoke ends on a low flange track hub...
    Freewheel? What do you mean freewheel? I thought you we a fixed-riding man?

"A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars. Laurent Fignon

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo
    Freewheel? What do you mean freewheel? I thought you we a fixed-riding man?
    Ha.... My rain bike is single speed.....I'm not fond of fixies in the rain....
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

Yo no fui.
    All the better to skid with, I suppose. It never rains in Colorado, so I don't know.

Feb 2007
    High flange just looks right.
    David Leroy Loving, III
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios