My new Seven's

Thread: My new Seven's

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007

My new Seven's

My new Sevens

I've been racing mountain bikes for a few seasons now but do most of my training on road bikes since we only have one trail nearby. Last winter I built up a singlespeed mtb for some cross-training and loved it so much I switched to riding SS exclusively on the mtb. So I sold my geared bikes and ordered up a Seven Sola (ti) for my SS race bike.

I had a great season on it until August when I broke my right wrist. That forced me to effectively ride SS on the road too since I couldn't shift the rear derailleur with my cast. I thought I would hate it since the road generally doesn't flow like a trail and being caught in the wrong gear on a long straight into a headwind sounded miserable to me...I was so wrong!

My first "SS" road ride was a revelation - it wasn't nearly the grind I thought it would be (went with 50x17 gearing). Like the SS mtb, just focusing on pushing without thinking about gear, cadence, etc was just mentally liberating and from a training perspective it complimented SS mtb'ing much better. So based on that first "SS" road ride experience I ordered a Seven Axiom S.

When it arrived it was just as awesome as I'd imagined (went with 48x16 gearing). I loved riding it so much I decided to quit riding geared bikes all together except for recovery rides or touring. I like to have a primary bike and a backup/foul weather bike (I won't ride on the trainer unless there's ice or snow on the roads no matter how cold or wet), so a few weeks later I ordered a Seven Resolute SLX (steel) with identical custom geometry to compliment my ti Seven.

It may sound excessive to put so much effort into a backup/foul weather bike, but I regularly do 3-5 hour rides, so having a bike I'm excited about riding helps make slogging through crappy conditions a little more bearable ;)

Seven was great to work with on both bikes and they've just been an absolute joy to ride. I definitely feel lucky to have such a great stable of bikes!

2016 Cannondale Supersix EVO HiMod, Ti Seven CX, Ti Seven Singlespeed, 2012 Cannondale Supersix EVO HiMod,

RoadBikeReview Member
    Beautiful machines, congratulations.

50x17? you must be a very powerful rider, or you live in the flats.

I'm getting my first fixie with 46x17 to start with, see how it goes in our really hilly terrain, go from there. This very capable Cat 3 racer I know goes on group rides with us and he runs 48x16 (the rest of us ride our geared bikes). Not only does he keep up in spectacular fashion, he's usually leading out and in sprints while us geared riders are huffing and puffing. Some day I want to be like that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    very lovely, you are a lucky guy to have so many seven bikes.

could you please post closer pics of the drop-outs, or should i say trackends? would like to see what's going on there. & whats the rear spacing on those beauties?

lastly...are you saying that you use the steel or the ti bike as your backup/foul weather bike?

keep up the good work...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by demonrider View Post
    Beautiful machines, congratulations.

50x17? you must be a very powerful rider, or you live in the flats.
    Yeah, it's pretty flat here. There are a couple double-digit grades, but none of them gain more than 100'. On an 80 mile ride where I hit all the climbs I possibly can my total elevation gain is only around 3200 ft.
    2016 Cannondale Supersix EVO HiMod, Ti Seven CX, Ti Seven Singlespeed, 2012 Cannondale Supersix EVO HiMod,

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for all the kind words!

Here's a closeup of the rear. They're sliding dropouts with 130mm spacing. I like this style dropout for ease of tensioning & QR use since I put on big miles and like to be able to fix my falts quickly:

The steel bike is my back-up bike. I know ti is the more corrosion resistant material, but I always make sure to thouroughly hose down & dry-off the steel bike post-ride.

Formosan Cyclocross
    Any perceptible difference between the two materials?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    I had the frames spec'd to the same drivetrain stiffness (9 out of 10) and Seven did an excellent job accomplishing that since they both ride equally stiff. I can tell a subtle difference over rougher pavement with the steel being slightly smoother. The tradeoff is of course weight with the steel being a lb heavier, but that's OK because part of the fun of owning frames with different materials is experiencing the tactile differences

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wow, nice bikes, congratulations! I am a single speed mtb racer, so I do a lot of road work on a single speed road bike and love it. I also use 48:16.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 Cross
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

Cumudgitude
    Those seatstay angles/bends are nuts! It's also a little unusual to see a frame where the seatstays and chainstays are nearly the same diameter. There's some interesting stuff going on there.

How do you like the Paragon sliders?
    If you only ride in nice weather you're missing a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Had fun building up a bike... Check!
    Having fun riding... Check!
    The rest is just details.

C 1/5
    both look pretty nice, but I prefer the yellow one the most.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Quick update:

The bikes are still running strong! I've upped the gearing to 53x17 on the ti bike and alternate between 53x17 and 53x19 on the steel bike depending on on the weather. I use the easier geairng for subfreezing temps when I wear all of my heavy winter riding gear or for 50+ mile rides when it's super windy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Those are two very sweet bikes. Enjoy every mile!

Ride Safe,

Joe