New member! I had forgotten the joys of cycling!
    RoadBikeReview Member

Hello all! My name is Rey. I hail from the flat lands of Miami, FL. I had not owned a bike since I was a kid, and about a year ago I decided enough was enough. I didn't want a full blown road bike with multiple gears, as I did not want to spend that kind of money right away, and frankly, not the kind of riding I wanted to do. I wanted to start off with a single speed, and eventually wanted to segway into a fixed gear. I looked at some of the "off the shelf" bikes available, namely State, Purefix, etc., and although there were some nice bikes in their line ups, I felt I wanted something to put my personal touch on, being a creative professional. So I set out looking for a bike that caught my eye, that after I was done, the price was in the vicinity of the off the shelf bikes, and something that I wouldn't be afraid of riding because I'd put a scratch on it. So one day, my wife and I were walking by the bike section at Walmart (please hear me out first), and a Mongoose Detain caught my eye. The cool frame geometry, the aluminum frame, and the price made it an attractive buy. I bought it primarily for the frame and wheels, as I knew the rest of the components were garbage, and I had the intention of swapping them out any way. I took it home, and immediately set out to order the first round of components. Anyway, enough chatter. On to pics.

I HAD to make a logo for the project! (Hey, it IS about having fun, right?)

When I first got it.

Peeled the ugly decals off, new saddle, new grips, and new pedals, in preparation for its maiden voyage, 15 mile ride at Shark Valley (paved loop deep in the Florida Everglades).

So the purpose of that ride was to determine the severity of the crapiness of the brakes, bottom bracket, and crankset, on a road with no traffic. The brakes never successfully stopped me, and fell apart after I tried adjusting them.

The bottom bracket developed a "clacking" noise a few rides after, so new brakes, levers, crankset, bottom bracket, and chain were ordered. I also ordered a new bar, just for aesthetic purposes. Liked the clean lines a perfectly straight bar gave the bike.

On a road trip with the wife.

This bike is pretty much complete. I built it to my liking, well within the budget (about as much as the average off the shelf fixed gear). Quality is decent, considering almost all bikes at this price range are made in China. I had fun building it, and even more fun riding it!

Components:

Frame: Mongoose Detain
    Bar: Eighthinch Straight Bar
    Grips: Oury Mountain
    Brake Levers: Xposure Mid Lever
    Brakes: Origin-8 Pro Pulsion Classic Road Caliper
    Bottom Bracket: Eighthinch 68mm
    Crankset: Eighthinch Courier Crankset 46T 165mm
    Pedals: Eighthinch Track Pedals
    Chain: KMC Z410
    Tires: No name 700x25c that came on bike
    Wheeset: No name 700c with Quando hubs and 16T cog that came on bike
    Saddle: Origin-8 Urban Aero

Here is a glimpse of the next project, a fixed gear conversion.

1987 Raleigh Technium 420 I picked up for $40 on eBay.

I'll post pics of updates when I start work on it.
    Last edited by r_adesigns; 08-09-2013 at 12:53 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sounds like you're having fun. I got lost in the description of your process: is it FG or freewheeling? That's a moderately tall gear, but if it works for you, cool.

The Technium frames were an odd technological development, but they have a lot of fans. The bonded construction (aluminum main tubes glued to internal steel lugs) sometimes fails, but if you watch for it it's a gradual thing, so I haven't heard of it being dangerous (i.e., no catastrophic failures without warning signs). Excellent bike for a FG conversion, IMO.

I kind of understand the aesthetic appeal of straight bars, but functionally I don't like them. Drop bars are so much more versatile IME, allowing many hand positions (including essentially the same one as on the straight bar). On my FG's, I really value the drops when grinding (over-geared of course) into a headwind.

Have fun.
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.

RoadBikeReview Member

Thanks! It is a freewheel. I liked the straight bars for this bike because of the more relaxed geometry. It works. And the gearing isn't all that tall for our roads here, which are about as flat as glass. The few climbs I encounter (not the taller bridges) aren't an issue. The Raleigh will be fixed gear and have drop bars.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I could not open any of your attachments, I would like to see your build in progress.

RoadBikeReview Member

Odd... I used Tapatalk to upload the pics. I'll see if I can repost them from a computer when I am home.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by r_adesigns View Post
    I wanted to start off with a single speed, and eventually wanted to segway into a fixed gear.
    Stay away from those things—too expensive, much too slow and you could hurt the poor fixed gear rider. :-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nice segue, Wim. I caught that but couldn't think of anything clever to say.
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.

RoadBikeReview Member

Quote Originally Posted by wim View Post
    Stay away from those things—too expensive, much too slow and you could hurt the poor fixed gear rider. :-)
    Well played, sir.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Updated the pics!

Tig
    Clear Lake, TX
    Had fun building up a bike... Check!
    Having fun riding... Check!

The rest is just details. Enjoy the next project and the rewards that come with it.