Pawn shop Pista
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pawn shop Pista

RoadBikeReview Member

Pawn shop Pista

Picked up at a pawn shop. I have no idea how to ride a fixie, and it seemed a little bit more than I wanted to bite off today, so I stopped at the LBS and picked up a freewheel to put on the other side of the flip-flop hub so i could actually ride it.

Not sure how I'll like it on the rolling hills to work and back, but... the pawn shop said 30 day money back return policy, so I might as well try it!!!

Anyone know how I can determine what year model it is?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Pawn shop? Assuming you got a great deal on that.

As for the year, I can't help you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have no idea how to ride a fixie
    It's easy. Don't coast.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sounds great (until I want to stop). I'll flip the hub and get brave soon.

duh...
    get a rear brake

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Nice, May we inquire what kind of a deal you got on it?

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireFred
    get a rear brake

+1...don't ride single speed without a rear brake.....Fixed is fine, SS nope
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    400.00 including sales tax. I think it is a 2009 from doing a little online research.

It was the 30 day money back return policy that got me. I don't think I would have bought it from anywhere I couldn't take it back to, since I am not sure how I'll like SS/F.

I guess tomorrow I'll give my regular commute a try and see if I can make it up the hills. If it's too hard I'll see about a larger cog. If that's not enough, I'll just take it back.

Question about the back brake. It doesn't look like it's pre-drilled for that. LBS can do that?

When my hubby is home to ride with me, I'll try the fixed side. I think I have an irrational fear of mucking up stop signs/stop lights. I just can't imagine how it's going to work not coasting to stops.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Loraura
    I guess tomorrow I'll give my regular commute a try and see if I can make it up the hills.
    Give hill riding a good chance. I actually prefer climbing hills on me SS over my road bike. It's a totally different experience, but not necessarily harder.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, I rode my commute in the more difficult direction today with it on the fixie side of the hub (since I don't have a back brake).

NOT BAD!!!!!

Learning to stop when I want to stop, where I want to stop, with my feet in a position I want them to stop in is going to be a bit of a learning experience, but I was already getting better each time I had to stop.

I also had trouble getting my second foot into the toe clips with the pedals in motion. I eventually got it, but it was a bit annoying to have to keep trying. I'll learn the sweet spot for placing my foot to spin it around and catch the clip with practice though.

The hills were NOT THAT BAD!! I am shocked, actually. I expected this to be much more difficult. I expected to be too lacking in fitness to climb hills without a 34/27.

The momentum of the bike is amazing. Not ever coasting really keeps the power going in the appropriate direction.

I have one short steep decent then ascent on the way. I was a bit afraid of the decent, thinking the bike would get away from me. But it was fine.

Overall, I am shocked and awed!

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Great job...

When stopped, sweeze the front brake and lift the rear tire off the ground. Rotate the cranks to your ideal starting position. Climbing isn't that hard on a fixie...Decending can really make your hand sore because you ride the brake.. I max out at about 25-28mph on my fixie.....My legs don't like to turn any faster
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oh my... I'm sore this morning from yesterday's ride on the fixie. I have muscles I didn't know I had (and apparently don't use for general road riding)!

Frog Whisperer
    Oh my... I'm sore this morning from yesterday's ride on the fixie. I have muscles I didn't know I had (and apparently don't use for general road riding)!
    uh huh!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's a real good workout
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    nice find, I keep waiting for the day a nice little deal like that comes my way.

Strained coccyx etc etc
    once you go fixed,...

hey, that looks like a pretty steep gearing.
    One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    It is really cool isnt it. Find a gear ratio you are happy with and go.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Day 3 on fixed. It's a 48-16. LBS says that's pretty common for around here, but I'm generally not as strong as most cyclists around here. I'm considering wimping it out a bit, but so far I can make it to work and back and still want to ride it again the next day.

After three days, now my arms are sore from standing to go up hills, lol. It will definatly make me stronger, that's for sure.

I have to admit.... it's better than I thought it would be! And not by just a little.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    3to1 is a little bigger than I ride, but you're younger. When riding on flat land are you spinning as fast as you would on a geared bike? If not, a 46 tooth chain ring would give you one of the more popular combinations.
    We have nothing to lube but our chains.

Frog Whisperer
    my langster came with a 48/16, the steeper hills were an issue (7% is a b!tch) so I swapped the cog for an 18 (48/18). The track (or semi track) geometry is what makes the pista and langster and some others so nimble. They are just outright fun to ride. Furthest I have ridden mine is 45 miles, any further than that and I want gears.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I run a 48/18, too and I think my max has been about 65 miles.
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by David Loving
    I run a 48/18, too and I think my max has been about 65 miles.
    you got hills?.....my average 50 miler around here has between 2 and 3,000 feet of ascent.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ya, I've got some hills. The bike is planned to be a commuter, maybe some around town trips, but for any longer rides, I have my Synapse for that.

On the flats, I'm not able to spin as high as I want to. Thanks for the tips on gearing. I think I'll talk to my LBS about making it a bit easier. I may be younger, but I would bet I'm not stronger.

Another question: Are koolstops the best choice on non-machined Velocity Deep V wheels? The current pads look a little worn, so I should probably replace them.

Frog Whisperer
    Ya, I've got some hills. The bike is planned to be a commuter, maybe some around town trips, but for any longer rides, I have my Synapse for that.

On the flats, I'm not able to spin as high as I want to. Thanks for the tips on gearing. I think I'll talk to my LBS about making it a bit easier. I may be younger, but I would bet I'm not stronger.

Another question: Are koolstops the best choice on non-machined Velocity Deep V wheels? The current pads look a little worn, so I should probably replace them.

Spinning at 90 for extended periods of time isn't too bad....on the flats. My biggest problem is really descents, I don't care much for a cadence over 115-120, I just can't keep it up for long. 130 on the trainer is fine....on the road it's a different story......no rest.....(no coasting even for a second...lol)

RoadBikeReview Member
    One more question I have: I know that for a bike with 170mm crank arms my measurement from center of cranks to top of seat is 25.5inches. What should it be for a 165mm crank arm?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast