Pawn Shop Purchase
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007

Smile Pawn Shop Purchase

Hello,

I've been searching for an old bike to turn into a FG and found this Schwinn Le Tour at a pawn shop for $50. Offered them $35 and they accepted. I'm new to this and don't really know what I'm doing but I think I got a great deal. What do you think? Is this a good candidate for a FG conversion?

Thanks,
    Kevin
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nice. Hope there's nothing wrong with it mechanically.

There are some that can be against making that a FG because of the rear dropout. One quick google and the spacing in the rear is likely 126mm - which a few spacers or whatnot might able to deal with.. I can't see why an SS conversion can't happen, but I'm not entirely sure with going fixed.

There's no rust on the frame either? You got quite the deal. I'd just make it into a really nice road bike.
    Last edited by Ventruck; 08-08-2009 at 08:42 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    35.00 that is a great find.

waterproof*
    Those old freewheel hubs are the kind that the thread matches that of track cogs. And, an old BB lockring.

So if you can find the right tool to pull that freewheel (LBS) then you don't need a new hub.

Cat 6 rider
    You've got a great old retro machine. No need to butcher it. You want SS- put it in one gear and don't shift. (The drive train appears to have been updated, but man, those look like the original [or at least correct] gray cable sheaths). If you're determined though, send me an email. I might want to buy those pedals if the bearings are good.
    To the troll mobile, away...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Excellent buy! Looks like it is in superb shape.

There is no reason (mechanically) that you could not do a fixie conversion on that. It has the same type of forward facing horizontal drop out that most bikes had in the 70s and 80s. Just because it doesn't have track drop outs, doesn't mean that you cant go fixed.

Are you going to leave the stock paint? That thing is too nice to repaint.

Great find though!

RoadBikeReview Member
    sent you a PM

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Ahhhhh dont rip it apart.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd just replace the wheels with some 27" track wheels 120 mm - I assume those are 27" wheels, right?-; and either bend the stays to fit or use spacers. The semi horizontal dropouts will work to adjust the chain tension. Leave the crankset with the inside ring [or outside - depending on the gear ratios you want, and you got a very fine fixed gear. You can leave the brakes as is if you ever want to flip the rear wheel and go single speed you'll appreciate the rear brake. You can just go with the front only, remove both levers and the rear brake, and add a small tektro horiz. lever for the front brake. You got a real find at a bargain. I wouldn't paint it - keep the historical look!
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions. If I do anything to the bike, I will not make it permanent, like painting the frame. I put some air in the tires, lubed the chain and took the bike for a ride around the neighborhood. The bike is fun to ride and seems to be in good mechanical shape, the wheels do need to be trued. My intent is to use this as a commuter bike and I want to give fixed gear riding a try, but for now I’ll ride the bike as is. For $35 I was not expecting to find something I would feel bad about taking apart.

Reality Star
    Wow that bike is is great condition. Why not keep it as a cool retro bike and buy an inexpensive fixed gear/SS on sale from Performance Bike for cheap? Hard to beat the price ($299). Right now they have a 20% rebate that can be used toward other items. You cannot convert that bike to a SS for the price.

http://www.performancebike.com/webap...http:ClickInfo

Reality Star
    Sorry wrong link. Here is the bike: http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._400001_400317

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    as a fixie or as is, what a deal. Good deals are getting harder and harder to find with the fixed gear craze.

The only thing I'd suggest is removing the suicide levers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees
    Those old freewheel hubs are the kind that the thread matches that of track cogs. And, an old BB lockring.

So if you can find the right tool to pull that freewheel (LBS) then you don't need a new hub.
    Safety Warning

While many newbies to the fixed gear world feel that it's OK to mount a fixed gear sprocket on a road (no reverse thread) hub with or without a lockring, it is not a safe practice.

Take it from someone who's been riding fixed gears since the sixties, that unless locked on with reverse threaded lockrings, fixed cogs have a nasty habit of coming unscrewed at inopportune moments.

If you decide to use fixed cog on a road hub, be sure to use two brakes and don't depend on reverse torque to control the bike.

Note- this warning does not apply to SS freewheels which are perfectly OK to mount on respaced road hubs.
    fb
    www.chain-l.com

Solving any problem requires understanding the underlying cause