Rear hub spacing advice
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006

Rear hub spacing advice

Hello,
    I found a set of Surly wheels pulled from a new Steamroller. They're 110mm front and 120mm back. I'd like to get these for my Crosscheck, which has 135mm rear spacing. Should I find a set with the 130mm rear hub or can I make the 120 work? Anything I should look out for?

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Spoke with LBS and am going to try 4 3mm spacers to see if I can come close. Wish me luck on the chainline. I'll post back once I get this going.

Life Coach
    As long as two of those 4 spacers go on each side, your chainline won't need luck. It will be fine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    I spent like 3 hours today trying to get all the chainring bolts out, but to no avail... still 2 stuck in there. I tried flathead screwdrivers, wood chisels, $0.41 worth of change, a crowbar... everything I could think of, but couldn't get them out. Ridiculous I know. Tomorrow I'll go to the bike store and pick up a $3.99 tool that'll do the trick and 10 minutes later I should be riding.

Oh, I have a SRAM powerlink that makes it easier to take the chain on/off. Is that OK when riding fixed?

Life Coach
    You can look here or search for others:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...highlight=sram

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by superjohnny
    I spent like 3 hours today trying to get all the chainring bolts out, but to no avail... still 2 stuck in there. I tried flathead screwdrivers, wood chisels, $0.41 worth of change, a crowbar... everything I could think of, but couldn't get them out. Ridiculous I know. Tomorrow I'll go to the bike store and pick up a $3.99 tool that'll do the trick and 10 minutes later I should be riding.

Oh, I have a SRAM powerlink that makes it easier to take the chain on/off. Is that OK when riding fixed?

Been there...Not having that chainring bolt tool is frustrating...I bought a second one because I thought I lost my first one...It's nearly impossible to get stuck bolts off without one.
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    thanks Val_Garou, searching is good and sometimes we (ok I) forget.

Picked up a $4 Park chainring tool and the final 2 came off in < 5 minutes. I'm having a bit of trouble getting chain tension right, it seems to be too loose or too tight. This isn't something I want to mess up so I'm going slow.

Hey, happy fathers day. This is my first and it's kinda like a 2nd birthday Now if I can just get my bike up & running so I can go for a ride...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Thanks everyone for the assistance, it is much appreciated. Here's the final product...
    Attached Images Attached Images