A Retro/Modern SS Conversion Budget/Blown Budget Build
    What the what???

This bike and thread started on the Retro forum. But now that it's complete, I think it should probably live here. If you'd like the backstory, you can find it here:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/ret...st-283083.html

The condensed version is that it was a 1982 Trek 614 that I found on CL for $75. Once I overhauled the bike, I decided to try my hand at a SS conversion. Nearly a year (and waaay more money than I intended to spend) later, this is the result.

Old bits:
    Frame
    Fork
    Headset
    Seat post
    Wheels/hubs (27" Rigida, 36h)
    Levers (Dia-Compe)
    Crank/BB (Sugino)
    Freewheel (I used the original Suntour Mighty 6 and just kept the 16t cog and the threaded 14t cog that holds it in place)

New bits:
    Brooks B-17
    Nitto Technomic stem (50mm)
    Nitto Noodle 177 bars (44cm)
    Jagwire cables and housing
    Nashbar brakes (had to bore out the bolt holes in the frame and fork, but it worked)
    Kool-Stop pads
    Sugino 42t chainring
    Deda tape
    Rim strips/tubes/Michelin World Tour tires
    Cane Creek brake hoods
    KMC chain and 1/2 link
    Pedals (a set of Wellgo platforms I had on hand)

Could I have bought a nice SS cheaper than what I spent on the new bits? Probably. But I couldn't have bought the satisfaction of putting it together and knowing I did it myself.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Opus51569; 04-12-2013 at 07:43 AM.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Oh, that is cool. I am positive that is better than any store bought single speed.

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    Oh, that is cool. I am positive that is better than any store bought single speed.
    Thanks. I certainly learned a lot along the way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Nice ride! I'm glad you saved the "old bike". I'd love to have a nice SS to knock around in like yours!

What the what???

Quote Originally Posted by 1948D18 View Post
    Nice ride! I'm glad you saved the "old bike". I'd love to have a nice SS to knock around in like yours!
    They're out there. It just takes some digging and a lot of patience... or occasionally some good luck. My son recently dropped off a 1987 Schwinn Traveler he found by the roadside with a "free" sign on it. The frame isn't my size, but it has some "newer" parts (levers, wheels) that I can use on this bike.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Soooo nice ... the water bottle cage, high stem, and saddle give it a road bikey look, imo.

Thanks much for listing the parts ... that's helping me with adding brake(s) for my ss.
    CAAD9 Build in Progress
    CAAD4 Dura Ace
    3.0 SR900 Campy
    3.0 Black Lightning

What the what???

Thanks. The brakes were the only "scary" part of the process for me. The modern ones I purchased had the larger diameter nuts that are meant to recess into the brake bosses. I ended up drilling out the back side of the brake bosses on the frame and fork to get them to fit. I think there are also replacement bolts you can find to make modern calipers work without having to modify the frame.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

RoadBikeReview Member
    OK ... I may have some of those bolts in my parts bin ... else I'll search the usual sites.

I orderred Cane Creek's Flat Bar levers .... going for a minimalist look , light as possible ... hope they'll look OK on the roadie handle bars,
    else it'll just have to be function-over-form ... we'll see.

... there's no way my ss would look as classy as yours.
    CAAD9 Build in Progress
    CAAD4 Dura Ace
    3.0 SR900 Campy
    3.0 Black Lightning

What the what???

Some new bits

I recently sold a bike and used part of the money to make some updates to the Trek:

Wheels - Alex rims, 32 hole, from Velo Mine. The bearings needed to be repacked, but otherwise they seem to be pretty decent.

Freewheel - I'd like to go with a WI at some point, but for now it's an ACS Crossfire (20 tooth).

Tires - I had a Panaracer Pasela already, so I purchased a second one. 28mm, and I like the gumwall look with the black rims.

Seat bag - Axiom. Nashbar for $9.99 was more reasonable than a Brooks bag.

Bar tape - The Deda tape was a bust. I loved the color with the Honey saddle, but the quality was poor. The tape is so thin that it started to wrinkle after a while of riding. Again Brooks would have been my choice, but I can't quite justify $60 for bar tape. Took me a while to find a decent foam tape that went with the color scheme that wasn't uber-expensive. This tape has a kind of wood-grain look to it.

Crankset - in order to get the chainline with the new wheel/freewheel, I needed to swap out the crankset with an FSA Gossamer hollow crank I had. I kinda miss the retro look of the old Sugino cranks, but I think it's okay.

That's it for now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Opus51569; 07-31-2013 at 05:23 PM.