Single Speed Conversion Help
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007

Single Speed Conversion Help

hi,

First post here. I've been thinking about doing a single speed conversion for a while and just trying to find the right frame. I'm looking for a decent getting around the city type of bike, preferably a road bike.

I just found a Schwinn 1973 Super Sport that's in okay shape, but will need a new crank and some wheel truing/dishing in addition to the conversion parts. I can get this for like $95 on Craigslist and I'm wondering if this would be a decent choice for this application or if there is something better out there for the money? I'm trying to keep the total cost under $200. Any recommendations? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, so I would do most of the conversion myself, but I would probably go to a local shop for the wheel truing.

Here is the link to the bike on Craig's List: http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/bik/2369543288.html

Thanks
    Last edited by marider07; 05-13-2011 at 04:33 PM.

Cumudgitude
    Personally I'd keep looking, but that's just me. Chances are pretty decent that with a '73 you'll encounter Schwinn's former, and very annoying, habit of making proprietary parts. The rims in particular were a pain in the rear and famously difficult to seat tires. While the vintage factor can be cool it's also worth remembering that there's a significant difference between the steels used for bike frames from the '70s, '80s, '90s, and so on.

I just reread the post. I'd pass unless on site inspection is in the cards. "Patina" sends up a warning flag for me, as does a nearly complete bike sans cranks and bottom bracket. If the bottom bracket threads are munged the frame is toast. And a "very warped" rear wheel could just need truing or could be irrevocably fried. If all goes well this could be a fun conversion and a neat bike. If things don't go well your $95 bike could quickly become a $350 lesson.

Just my two cents.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the reply. I'll pass on this one. I've had similar projects in the past and I don't really need any more $350 lessons.

Any recommendations on what you would look for in terms of brands and models? I don't really want a hi-tensile steel frame that seem to be all over the place on craigs list.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marider07
    I don't really want a hi-tensile steel frame that seem to be all over the place on craigs list.
    Why not? That's what I'd be looking at to do a SS around-town bike that cheap. Keep in mind that a SS is inherently lighter, because of all the parts you strip off, so frame weight isn't such a big deal. I'd just look for a frame that fits. With luck, you can do a conversion with almost no parts to buy.

And if you're mechanically inclined, true the wheels yourself. With a little effort, it's not that hard to learn. It's a great skill to have.

Cumudgitude
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia
    . . . With luck, you can do a conversion with almost no parts to buy.
    I'd say if the OP is that lucky more power to him. I know my luck and would expect wild badgers living in the frame to attack me the first time I tried to ride it, after spending $200 on parts I didn't need!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    I guess I shouldn't be as concerned with frame weight as I am. Anyways what about a Giant Kronos for a conversion? I found one on Craigslist for $125: http://providence.craigslist.org/bik/2386356128.html

Does anyone have experience converting a Kronos?