Sloped Top Tube

Thread: Sloped Top Tube

Jul 2009

Sloped Top Tube

Just a matter of opinion...the top tube on the 49 cm bianchi pista is slightly sloped...yet that is the size my LBS put me at. Is it acceptable for a guy to ride a sloped tube bike? Or is it unisex? I mean, I'm sure they intend for it to be unisex...what I'm really asking is will it look like I'm on a girls bike? Im 5'7 but have a long torso and short legs.

Heres a link to one to show as an example...

http://velospace.org/node/12747

RoadBikeReview Member
    No sloped top tubes are not girls bikes. There are plenty of bikes with sloped top tubes. Every compact frame has a sloped top tube. That said, the Pista in the larger sizes don't have a sloped top tube but in the smaller size they do.

The top tube length between the 49 and 51 is 2 mm, which in the grand scheme of the things is negligible. But the standover height is different so you may have lucked out that this bike fits your body.

No Crybabies

sloping

I think more road bikes are sloping than not these days. Perfectly normal. In fact, it's hard to find one that isn't. Classic steel bikes are about the only ones left.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

When my fist clenches, crack it open
    Before I use it and lose my cool
    When I smile, tell me some bad news
    Before I laugh and act like a fool

hello
    Especially on smaller frames sloping top tubes are necessary to accommodate full sized wheels.
    SurlySteamrollerLitespeedClassicBianchiPista
    DeanColonelSurlyLongHaulTruckerKonaKu
    LitespeedFirenzeCinelliOlympic

Born from JortsŪ
    I read that he rides a "sloping top tube". I wouldn't broadcast that on the internet too much if I were you. HTH-

RoadBikeReview Member

Sloping top tubes

I don't think Mark Cavendish is riding a "girl's bike." :-)

duh...
    Quote Originally Posted by roadfix
    Especially on smaller frames sloping top tubes are necessary to accommodate full sized wheels.

how so?

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

hello
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireFred
    how so?
    Can you picture, say a 46cm frame for instance, with horizontal TT and 700c wheels?
    SurlySteamrollerLitespeedClassicBianchiPista
    DeanColonelSurlyLongHaulTruckerKonaKu
    LitespeedFirenzeCinelliOlympic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia
    I don't think Mark Cavendish is riding a "girl's bike." :-)
    Srsly. There's a bunch of bikes with sloping top tubes...including the S-Works Tarmac, Look 596, and zomgsh, the Trek Madone. To think I heard Trek makes good bikes.

But on a side note (small side note; not tryng to go off topic), any reason to why Cavendish opted for a 7800 DA crankset with the rest of his 7900 gruppo?

RoadBikeReview Member
    economizing?
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

No Crybabies

Srm?

Quote Originally Posted by Ventruck
    Srsly. There's a bunch of bikes with sloping top tubes...including the S-Works Tarmac, Look 596, and zomgsh, the Trek Madone. To think I heard Trek makes good bikes.

But on a side note (small side note; not tryng to go off topic), any reason to why Cavendish opted for a 7800 DA crankset with the rest of his 7900 gruppo?
    Is it an SRM?

Correction, it *is* an SRM. SRM may not have a newer model available.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

When my fist clenches, crack it open
    Before I use it and lose my cool
    When I smile, tell me some bad news
    Before I laugh and act like a fool

duh...
    Quote Originally Posted by roadfix
    Can you picture, say a 46cm frame for instance, with horizontal TT and 700c wheels?

yeah, but you won't see any bike with 700c wheels- even a 46 compact- with less than a 51-52cm TT (horiz). so to achieve lower standover you will need a sloped TT, which is what I think you meant, but I don't agree with your point that a sloped TT is nec to use 700c wheels on a frame w/ 51-52cm TT. I have seen a 48 ST (level TT) c-t (I think) lugged Derosa, so it is possible, you'll just have a TT that comes close to or touches the DT on HT. with thicker tubing it's not possible without getting creative on the HT.
    Last edited by FatTireFred; 08-11-2009 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

Baltic Scum
    Girls' bike.
    Was juckt es die stolze Eiche, wenn sich ein Schwein an ihr kratzt?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Being an "old fart", I used to "hate" sloping top tubes (and I still don't like radical frames like the original Giants.)

But doing the bike fitting in our shop, I've found that there are a lot of men (fewer women) who have short legs but with relatively long torsos and arms. Sloping top tubes on production bikes simply give one more fit options. Effective top tube length is and should be the starting point on any given "bike fit", with head tube length to acommodate bar height/seat height considerations next. "Standover", as long as one can "do it", is the least important consideration.

For me, however, I still like classic level top tubes.
    Anyone who believes there are no stupid questions never worked in a bike shop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    I read that he rides a "sloping top tube". I wouldn't broadcast that on the internet too much if I were you. HTH-

Thanks for bringing the discussion down to this level. I was going to do it myself, but I was still looking for something more subtle than "...if you squat to pee...".
    Kalukis
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    I ride lugged steel and I vote!