Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Small 8mm hex wrench for wedge bag?

649 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  roadfix 
#1 ·
Sugino RD crank caps worked themselves loose on my Steamroller. Built the bike up in August, 2200 miles on her so I figure maybe these caps might loosen once or twice a year.

No, I won't use Loctite. I prefer to keep things lightly greased and carry a wrench.

So.....all of my 8mm wrenches are long, looking for a short one to fit in my small under-seat wedge bag. Any favorites?

#2 ·
You mean the crank bolts? Just check them before you ride... they shouldn't go from tight to loose over the course of a single ride providing they were installed with proper torque. It would be hard to get the necessary amount of torque needed for crank bolts using a small hex wrench although I think my Park multitool (Park MT-1) has an 8mm on it.

I usually back mine out then tighten them if I'm doing a monthly once over.

#3 ·
I think you missed my question. I'm looking for a small(ish) 8mm hex wrench.

I'm good with my wrenching schedule. I ride 150-200 miles pretty often so I would like to carry what I need.....

#4 ·
You could cut one down. I don't know that there are any that come as short as you want them. That said, there are a couple of multi-tool options (Park, Crank Bros off the top of my head).

Are the dust caps coming loose or the crank fixing bolts?

#5 ·
cut one down

You can buy one at the hardware store for a buck or so. You can cut it with a hacksaw -- a file works too, and a grinding wheel even better.

If you carry a multi-tool that includes an 8mm socket (most don't now, but I ride some bikes with some old bits that have hex rather than allen bolts), you can cut off a very short piece of the allen key (an inch or so) and just insert in the socket when you want to to use it.

#7 ·
I carry Topeak"s tiny 9 function multi-tool which comes with a 8mm hex insert. Of course, you're not going to get much leverage out of this but if you're talking about tightening a loose cap, then it's fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.