some stupid newbie questions.
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005

some stupid newbie questions.

My old mtn bike I use for commuting is looking at about 300 dollars in parts to get it up an running like I would like it to. It is a decent frame, but I hate riding the road on 26 inch 1.25 wheels. I am planning on getting some cash together to build myself a single speed over the next few months. That said, I have some questions I was hoping you could answer for me here.

1. (which you will probably view as the stupidest) On a Fixed bike that seeming has no brakes, how do you stop?

2. What should I look for in a used frame so as to find something that is a good value, but also rides nicely. My road bike is aluminum with carbon fork and stays, but I was thinking steel for commuting.

3. What kind of wheels do people typically use?

4. Where do people get old bikes repainted.

Thanks a lot.

Just Riding Along

A few answers

Quote Originally Posted by delay
    My old mtn bike I use for commuting is looking at about 300 dollars in parts to get it up an running like I would like it to. It is a decent frame, but I hate riding the road on 26 inch 1.25 wheels. I am planning on getting some cash together to build myself a single speed over the next few months. That said, I have some questions I was hoping you could answer for me here.

1. (which you will probably view as the stupidest) On a Fixed bike that seeming has no brakes, how do you stop?

A: "Real Men" backpedal; the less adventurous mount brakes.

2. What should I look for in a used frame so as to find something that is a good value, but also rides nicely. My road bike is aluminum with carbon fork and stays, but I was thinking steel for commuting.

A: Horizontal dropouts to allow chain length/tension adjustment...

A: Road wheel for front, rear wheel with a "Track Hub" or "Flip-flop Hub"; the latter allows mounting a fixed cog on one side and a freewheel on the other, typically the freewheel has one more tooth than the fixed cog to give an easier gear. As to rim and tire choices, be guided by your riding terrain.

A: Many use the Krylon / Rustoleum method. Others know good paint shops. Some do the stripping themselves and take the naked frame to the painter. Your budget may influence your choice here.

Thanks a lot.
    For a great tutorial, visit www.sheldonbrown.com and find your way to his fixed gear pages.

Good luck.

RoadBikeReview Member

your last question...

a decent option is to strip/sand the frame yourself and get it powdercoated. it's relatively cheap (40 bucks or so if you find the right guy and supply paint) and pretty easy to find in the local yellow pages. it's also more durable (a factor on a commuter bike which is exposed to all kinds o' mom nature's nastiness and better for the environment. cheers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004

there's lots of info/tutorials availabe online about various braking techniques w/o an actual brake...my 2 cents is if you've never ridden fixed, start off with a front brake. -it'll allow you to really get comfortable with the bike, it's limits, and your limits without freaking-out about stopping.

i ride a steel frame and i really like it....and usually you can find old steel frames at garage sales and stuff for cheap (and as the previous post said: remember the horizontal dropouts)

for commuting: get a real beefy, bombproof wheel, or the beefiest you can afford anyway. i'm riding on ma3s and they're great for dealing with, well, most anything. my rear wheel has a surly track hub that has also seen a ton of miles and been great.

for me: my back yard...doin' it yourself works out pretty well and is definetely the most wallet-friendly method.