Track ends, track drops, road geometry, one brake- who'd build your frame?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002

Track ends, track drops, road geometry, one brake- who'd build your frame?

Here's the deal. You are going to wake up tomorrow morning and there will be a new bike beside your bed. The conditions:

It must have track ends, a fixed/fixed or single side fixed rear hub, track or road drops, track or road stem, either brakeless or one brake with a cross top-mount lever (no road levers), and road geometry. Describe the bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    [QUOTE=Auriaprottu]Here's the deal. You are going to wake up tomorrow morning and there will be a new bike beside your bed.QUOTE]

In my case, that bike will be a Vanilla built by Sacha at Vanilla Bicycles. But if you actually want yours tomorrow, Sacha's not your guy because he's booked for months. I saw a very nice looking Soma at an LBS. Great steel frame, lovely paint, good components. Not the cheapest off-the shelf option, but it's what I'd get if I didn't already have one fixie (Bianchi Pista) & another on the way.

Bianchi is a good option or, if you're not wedded to steel, the SPecialized Langster is a cheap reasonable way to take the plunge.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Rich Adams

Easy, I would probably get Rich Adams to build me one of these

http://richadams.instantlogic.com/Ph...22C%7d&Page=14

His frames are great and not too showy.

I could be tempted by the fine folks:

http://www.vanillabicycles.com/bikes/track/index.html

i like whiskey
    Quote Originally Posted by FixedPip
    Easy, I would probably get Rich Adams to build me one of these

http://richadams.instantlogic.com/Ph...22C%7d&Page=14

His frames are great and not too showy.

I could be tempted by the fine folks:

http://www.vanillabicycles.com/bikes/track/index.html
    Both of them are beautiful! Either one would do me just fine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    [QUOTE=PdxMark]
    Quote Originally Posted by Auriaprottu
    Here's the deal. You are going to wake up tomorrow morning and there will be a new bike beside your bed.QUOTE]

In my case, that bike will be a Vanilla built by Sacha at Vanilla Bicycles. But if you actually want yours tomorrow, Sacha's not your guy because he's booked for months. I saw a very nice looking Soma at an LBS. Great steel frame, lovely paint, good components. Not the cheapest off-the shelf option, but it's what I'd get if I didn't already have one fixie (Bianchi Pista) & another on the way.

Bianchi is a good option or, if you're not wedded to steel, the SPecialized Langster is a cheap reasonable way to take the plunge.
    Thanks for the info. Actually, what I meant was... It's sort of a shopping spree/wish list kind of thread... you get the framebuilder of your choice to build a road frame with track ends and whatever components you want (1/8" or 3/32"). It's "what would you like if cost was no object?" I'd like either a Gios (blue), a Bianchi (celeste). Either frame would be lugged.

I have a lugged Bianchi frame that will end up celeste, fixed, and hopefully mostly Campagnoloed soon, but it doesn't have track ends. I'd love to have the same frame with ends, tho- I guess I could get Gene Spicer to put some on, but the dropouts are long and horizontal already, and I'm not planning to do any velodrome riding (yet), so it'd be a waste of money.

angel of the morning

my wet dream

Here's the deal. You are going to wake up tomorrow morning and there will be a new bike beside your bed. The conditions:

It must have track ends, a fixed/fixed or single side fixed rear hub, track or road drops, track or road stem, either brakeless or one brake with a cross top-mount lever (no road levers), and road geometry. Describe the bike.
    Firstly i will say there are many fine builders out there but if i was paying i cant see myself waiting for longer than 2 months. Similarly all the parts mentioned below are available without having to pay collector prices for them. Modest total cost.

Vigorelli fixie frame By Mercian UK - with road angles, 6 inches of chrome on the forks and end stays, kelly or brittish racing green with contrasting white and red seat tube barber pole style & white head tube. Ye olde style block downtube transfers - gold. Twin plate frok crown (chrome) drilled for road brake. Lugs lined in gold. Braze-on for 1 water bottle. 50/50 about whether to get braze-ons fender mounts (thinking might as well if its for a road use fixed gear).

http://www.merciancycles.co.uk/

Campy Chorus headset & Ti seatpost. Phil Wood bottom bracket and flip/flop high flange track hubs. Campy track crankset. Araya red label tubular rims, 32h laced 3 cross with DT d/butted. Red Tufo's. White Regal. Cinelli 1a stem and 65/44 (criterium bend road bars). White cloth tape. Chorus monoplanar front brake with a small cross style lever near the stem (as discreet as poossible). MKS sylvan pedals w/ some christophe steel cages & single Toshi straps. Cogs du jour to make a 48 x 17(fix)/18(free).

sounds good to me.

ciao
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I watched him walking in and it was like they say, you know, he kind of glowed. Like a ray of light was around him. A kind of Jesus. - Spirito (interviewing Spirito)

http://instagram.com/ciclispirito

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2003

Matt Chester...

Definitely Matt Chester. He rides nothing but fixed gear on and off road and has for years. He's actually planning on riding the Great Divide Route on a fixie this year. He also wrote the "flexiflyer" piece for Dirt Rag and has written a good bit for 63xc.com. He's mentioned that he'd like to build nothing but fixed gears.

Here's one he built: http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2004/gorini.htm

Scot

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Wer money no object

Hetchins Magnum Opus. I'm not sure I could get one with track ends.
    Record cranks, cog, bottom bracket and hubs
    Fir Rims (love the color)
    Cinelli 66-44 bars and X-A stem
    Modolo brake levers and Chorus front brake
    Chorus Ti Seat post
    Early 80's San Marco Concor saddle
    Look 206 pedals
    We have nothing to lube but our chains.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

i'd have my frame built up with lugs and dedaccia zero by bilenki in philly, and put her together myself. it'd be a learning experience. i think i'd have the frame clear powdercoated, b/c that'd be kinda pimp.

-rob

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

We have a Bilenky tandem

Prettiest filet brazing I've ever seen and a wonderful bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002

Thumbs up

Cinelli Track frame, yellow 62cm. Nitto bars and stem,Philwood hubson Velocity Deep-V rims, phil BB, Suzue pedals,leather cinelli toe straps, Everything else DuraAce and Cinelli

What dreams are made of....drooooolllll

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

bilenky's fillets

Quote Originally Posted by rusa1586
    Prettiest filet brazing I've ever seen and a wonderful bike.
    i had some drinks with montana, one of the welders at bilenky, a few months back. his personal ride that night was a fixie he'd built when he first started working there, to make sure he was up to snuff, i guess. anyway, he went budget and used tig welds by the bb and all, but fillets everywhere up top(toptube/headtube, toptube/seattube, downtube/headtube, etc), where ppl'd notice it. it was beautiful work, but montana said that steve bilenky himself is the ultimate fillet-brazer.

you must love that tandem, eh?

-rob

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Bilenky tandem.

We hardly ever ride it. Sadly, tandem riding doesn't work as well for us as riding together on single bikes. My wife grew up a mile from the top of a 3 mile climb and used a bike for transportation from 13 to 19. She's won trophies as a Clydesdale/Athena in multi- sport races so I don't have to wait around for her very much.

Every time I start cleaning it up with the idea of selling it I see the welds at the head tube and think that there's no way I could get enough money for the bike to give up the hope of riding it.