Track Forks vs Road Forks

Jan 2009

Track Forks vs Road Forks

Whats the advantage of having a 28 degree offset track fork over having a 44 degree offset road fork besides the track fork being overly twitchy? Im looking into getting a carbon fork for my new Leader frame but I dont know what to buy.

duh...
    rake is in mm... aside from less rake, track forks are often shorter, and might not be drilled for a brake. get the one that the frame was designed for, or handling might be affected

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004
    Given the same length (headset race to dropout)-- the track fork will actually be more stable than a road fork. Some track forks these days are drilled for a brake, but tire clearance can still be an issue.
    For sixth place, he was invincible.

Flat Track Racer!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    I'm using a Tange track-fork on a road-frame on my commuter.

It's no less comfortable than my road-bike, in a straight line and over surface bumps etc. It's noticeably 'more maneuverable' or 'twitchier' at low speeds (take your pick), the upshot is a combination that works well for me.

Probably best to buy something specifically designed for the job if you're unsure

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but I am thinking about switching out the fork on my Anchor so I can put in a brake. I don't really want to drill it. Any recommendations for something cheap with the right amount of rake?

Miyata 1000

duh...
    Quote Originally Posted by akatsuki
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but I am thinking about switching out the fork on my Anchor so I can put in a brake. I don't really want to drill it. Any recommendations for something cheap with the right amount of rake?

no idea what rake or length you need, but spicercycles has a bunch of track forks. also pake, soma, steamroller, all make track forks, and iro is has a lot of forks in their bargain bin sale

tell me, is your name your name?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    there is no advantage (actually significant disadvantage) to using a rake around which your frame was not designed. figure out what the OEM spec is and don't stray. if you absolutely *must*...no more than 5mm.