upgrading!! what should i do
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010

upgrading!! what should i do

hi, i want to upgrade my 09 bianchi pistas wheels and crank, i was thinking i would go buy a sram omnium crank and a set of mavic open pro wheels that i would later put some campy track hubs in. any opinions?

RoadBikeReview Member
    What are you trying to accomplish? What don't you like about the equipment you've got?

duh...
    just wait and do the full wheels all at once, i.e., campy hubs w/ open pros... huge waste of $ otherwise (pos new spokes + build)

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

banned
    May 2010
    get the wheels built together. I'm riding my SS/FG on Mavic OP + Formula Hubs + DT Comp spokes. They're smoooth and pretty efficient compared to other wheels i've ridden that dont coast as long.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010

thanks

ok, cool. wat do you guys think about dura ace hubs, because you can buy a set of mavic ops with dura ace hubs for 300 something. wat do you think?

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Dura Ace hubs are smooth and fast but they aren't sealed.. I used them on a couple of my bike but they are never ridden in the rain... If you ride in wet weather, get sealed hubs
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

banned
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bicycleguy
    ok, cool. wat do you guys think about dura ace hubs, because you can buy a set of mavic ops with dura ace hubs for 300 something. wat do you think?
    dura ace hubs are about as good as you can get... i'd go with them.

you can ride them in the wet, in the rain. just dont go when its pouring...
    with ANY hubs/bike i wouldn't go riding when its pouring. i dont want water/humidity building up in places where it shouldn't be long.

corning my own beef
    what kind of use? The Mavic Ellipse is a decent track wheel (not high-flange, but that's fine by me), but does not have a milled braking surface if you intend to use it off the track.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

Yo no fui.
    Do you want to upgrade for racing, or just for general pimpage?
    "It is better to conquer yourself, than to win a thousand battles." -Dhammapada

"Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

"A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars. Laurent Fignon

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    As far as crank sets go, I have a set of the omniums on my Bianchi Fremont and they are awesome. Super stiff and the gxp bottom bracket is way better then a square taper. They can be had for pretty cheap on Ebay.

Baltic Scum
    Quote Originally Posted by zwingz
    As far as crank sets go, I have a set of the omniums on my Bianchi Fremont and they are awesome. Super stiff and the gxp bottom bracket is way better then a square taper. They can be had for pretty cheap on Ebay.
    How so?
    Was juckt es die stolze Eiche, wenn sich ein Schwein an ihr kratzt?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by seeborough
    How so?
    Since the bearings of the bottom bracket are situated outside the bottom bracket shell, they are much larger and further apart, making for a much stiffer/smoother setup. The bottom bracket is also much lighter, as there is no cartridge.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I think upgrading is one of the greatest things about owning a bicycle. Nothing like having a rig that looks Plain Jane to non-cyclists (so it won't get stolen the moment you walk into 7-11 for a slurpee) but is a piece of art to anyone who knows what they are looking at. Crank wise get whatever you want. My guess is your current crank is fine so you are looking at a pure "feel good" upgrade. Good for you. Get what you enjoy the most. Hubs I think depend on your situation. If you only have 1 rig then you want to remain practical about your hubs. That means sealed bearing hubs unless you are really lacking in the life department and actually want to repack hubs all the time. If you have the green stamps go Phil. You'll never regret the decision. If money is an issue I recommend Surly hubs. They are great but make sure to check them when you get them home. Bolt them into the frame and make sure they aren't too loose or too tight. If they are either then a few cone wrenches will fix that. But do check. I recently built up a wheelset with Surly track hubs and one was too tight out of the box. But, if you have another "practical" whip then go ahead and pimp this one out as you see fit. Dura Ace makes everyone feel like a king and working on your steed makes you love it more.

vexatious enigma
    What are you looking to do with this setup? Are you just going to be riding around on them or are you going to be racing track?

If you are commuting with this wheelset I would stick with Open Pro/ Open Sport rims with a sealed bearing hubset. Dura Ace hubs are absolutely amazing but since they are not sealed bearings wet weather riding is just right out unless you like rebuilding hubs every other week.

I would talk to some people at the LBS to try and figure out with the Omnium cranks will work with your frame. I have heard some complaints of those not fitting some frames. Either you can't put a larger chainring on or the arms will come really close to the chainstays. Not sure that it will be an issue but it is something to think about. Otherwise Ive heard that those cranks are pretty good for how much they cost.

If you are racing track I wouldn't recommend Open Pro rims. They are absolutely fantastic rims but are a bit too flexible for high torque track sprints. I had to adjust my wheel so that it would go more to the right in the frame. Otherwise, whenever I stepped on the gas I would hear this horrendous rubbing and scrapping from the rear of the bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio
    Unlike Roebuck, you do "do" people.
    Maybe Judas did it for a Klondike bar.

Life in the fast lane with no brakes