2012 Fuji Altamira 3.0 - Report
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011

2012 Fuji Altamira 3.0 - Report

After a lot of personal/internal debate and several months of online research, I decided to buy the new Altamira 3.0 about 5 weeks ago.

First I wanted to say thanks as I got some good advice off the RBR forums! Second, I wanted to say how much I enjoy it. I'm new to road bikes and I LOVE the speed! I want to go faster and faster. I was pumped the other day when I got to 30 mph going down an overpass with wind at my back...but hey, it felt great!

I'm just now starting to ride in the drop position for a few minutes at a time, though my belly gets in the way a bit.

I was surprised when the bike came in. I thought it would be black and it looks that way in the all the pictures, but it's a black/natural carbon. I'm not quite as enthused about it.

It comes with several Oval products which I just didn't know about. I know Fuji owns Oval and it seems it is Fuji's version of FSA's line of products. I have been pleased so far as they look great. I keep hearing about people in my weight category breaking spokes (I weight 275) but it hasn't happened so far.

Anyway, I just wanted to drop a post with a status and say thanks for all the help! I've learned alot reading the forums!
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    very nice

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nice bike. Keep riding.
    ------------------------------
    TheDarkAce

Bike Enthusiast
    Apr 2011
    great looking bike!!
    2013 Specialized Allez Compact
    2011 Specialized Crux Pinky SS
    2012 Specialized Crux Skittles
    2015 Trek Farley 6 Fat Bike
    2011 Fuji D6 3.0

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    take the reflectors off the wheels and it will go faster. congrats on the bike. I have the SST Limited Edition on the way

RoadBikeReview Member
    reflectors should be out in my opinion
    “If you worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on.”

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    See? I learn something new every time I'm here. ;-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    May I ask what size the bike is and how tall you are? I am looking into maybe getting one as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    This is a 58 cm. I am 6'2" and weigh (now) 265. I have a pant inseam of 32.5", which worked out great as the stand over height is something like 32.3" or 32.4".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    I'm thinking about geting the same bike myself, it's supposed to be a great price performance model. Do you have any new thoughts about the bike, Maniton? maybe some new pics of the bike?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    I'd be glad to load more pics, but it'll be this weekend. Really, I'm too new to it all to comment on the performance aspects. I love it and it looks great, but I can't give you any sort of comparison to other bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    I was thinking more along the lines of, if you perhaps found out something about the bike that bothers you. I am as well getting this as my first road bike, riding mountain bikes for the most of my life. Any information helps

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    The only thing I don't like is the natural carbon effect on the paint. It is 'streaky' and not really 'black'. However, it still looks good. I really like the bike and don't have anything negative other than that.
    Last edited by Maniton; 02-17-2012 at 04:45 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    I saw this model at performance and noticed the black leaf testure instead of the normal weave. I still loved the look of the bike and would take one in a second if the price was right.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    I'm a cat 3 racer owns a Cdale evo sramred size 48cm

2012 fuji altamira 3
    I've riding this in fuji's LBS, searching for the right bike (to gift for valentines day)
    frame and fork was OK not as stiff as SST, but comfortable. What i meant was it does not feel like a race bike when you ride it, the acceleration on the stock altamira 3 are quiet sluggish. however It has an amazing handling when your going downhill.

It's extremely heavy right around 19 lb size 47cm. the frame is in the heavy side and I'm telling you it is not 815 grams for the 47cm. in my guess its around 2.5lb.

I will not recommend this for a hard earner guy , it a waste of money!! Yes $2000 is a deal but man you need to spend an extra $3000-$4000 to make this race worthy. Save the $2000 and buy a decent bike !

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    @leon1 Surely you can't compare cannondale's evo to this bike, for one evo is the lightest frame there is, so comparing evo to altamira 3.0 over the weight is like comparing a ferrari to renault over the power

There is also another aspect of this debate, as you said, you're a category 3 racer, whereas most of the guys buying this bike are just everyday normal riders, going for long mileage rides, expecting a compromise between speed and comfort. wouldn't you say then, this bike is almost perfect?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PduxCycle View Post
    @leon1 Surely you can't compare cannondale's evo to this bike, for one evo is the lightest frame there is, so comparing evo to altamira 3.0 over the weight is like comparing a ferrari to renault over the power

There is also another aspect of this debate, as you said, you're a category 3 racer, whereas most of the guys buying this bike are just everyday normal riders, going for long mileage rides, expecting a compromise between speed and comfort. wouldn't you say then, this bike is almost perfect?
    Sry if it sounded like I'm comparing altamira 3.0 to my Cdale evo. however i'm comparing it to fuji SST 3 . Fuji SST are alot more responsive, and has a racing bike feel.

the weight, again I'm not comparing it to other bikes. 1st of all i was interested on this bike because Fuji claimed all altamira c4 frame weigh at 800+ grams range depending on the size. It was more like 2.5lb when i lift the frame with only hanger and seat clamp on.

conclusion: price is good at $2000, but i think its not worthed . you better off with s-workTarmac Apex, Cdale SUPERSIX 6 APEX, giant defy composite or giant TCR Composite 1 and some trek madone 3's or 4's. Trust me Fuji altimera3.0 isn't worth buying. Note yourself to test ride what i listed above so you'll see what i meant
    Last edited by leon1; 02-25-2012 at 01:17 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    Very nice bike, Maniton.
    I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Nice bike, Maniton. I'm sure you'll enjoy many happy miles on it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    I'm going for a 43 mile ride Saturday, so we'll see how it goes. I haven't ridden more than 24 miles up to this point. And I was saddle sore from that. :-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    @Maniton after 2 months of use, how does the bike feel, are you still in love with it? =)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    I still really like it, but the honeymoon is over. If I had it to over again I would still buy it (at $2k). I am thinking about adding clip on aero bars, as I really struggle with riding in the wind. I ride in the drop position but after a while my hands get tired and sometimes start getting numb. I change positions throughout the handlebars, but still have issues. It seems if I could rest some on my elbows it would help.

All in all, I still like it and recommend it. I am intrigued by the folks talking about the SST, though I don't think I am anywhere near the rider for a more aggressively positioned bike.

Thanks for asking! Did you buy a bike?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    I'm afraid my situation is a bit more complicated, as i'm not so sure i wan't a road bike anymore. My offroad bike got smashed completely the other day and now i'm thinking more off a new MTB. However i'm still not quite decided and are still looking at some road bikes, perhaps FUJI Grand Fondo more than FUJI Altamira - my biggest concern is, the sitting position on Altamira would be to agressive for me and i'm not really incline on destroying my back just for a few km/h faster than other more "back-friendly" road bikes ..

i'm gonna test both bikes mentioned in the coming weeks and we shall see.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011

Update

I was responding to a post in another part of the forums and thought I'd update my 'review' of the Altamira.

The Pro's
    • MSRP at $2,500 and I bought it at $2k. I'm told that's a proper mark down for this bike. I'm told Fuji marks them up so the retailers can mark'em down.
    • Component Mix. 105 Grupo. 6 months in I'm very pleased with the dependability of the set. The Oval components seem like they're holding up well. I really like the Selle Italia saddle.
    • Appearance. It looks awesome. I love the red, white & black. The matching components are sweet. They went to a lot of effort to make this a good looking bike.
    • Stiffness. When the road is smooth, it's like riding on rails. You feel like you can accelerate forever.

The Con's
    • Tires. I've heard others say they like the Hutchison Nitros, but I just replaced them with Specialized Armadillos. I now weigh 255, down from 275 6 months ago, but I was having pinch flats about once a month. To be 'fair', I found a gouge in the sidewall, but I think that was pretty recent.
    • Paint Job. It's a flat back, which is cool. However, they went with the 'natural carbon' effect which makes it look like someone painted it and then ran junk all over it. Leafing I believe is the name of it. Personally, I like a nice shiny paint job with clear coat.
    • White bar tape. It looks great clean, but I sweat profusely and ride about 75% of the time without gloves. They're starting to look a bit dingy now.
    • Stiffness. Did I list this as a Pro? Biking down rough, country asphalt roads makes you wish you had a double thick chamois. I can feel the vibration just thinking about it.
    • My personal pet peeve - they went cheap on the cassette. It's a Tiagra not 105. Thumbs down.

I think the weight is about right at this price.
    I've continued to shop and find that most bikes in this price range have similar group sets, though they may trade up or down for certain components (like the cassette).

All in All, I'm happy with it and would definitely buy it again.

* I attached a pic of the seat stays. They aren't pencil thin...maybe 2 pencils.
    ** This pic's are after a brick workout. I'm down to 255 now!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott

2012 Fuji Altamira 3.0
    2006 Specialized hardtail

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    @Maniton:

Hi, I have been looking at this 2012 Altamira 3.0 as well, I do like the color of the frame. My question to you is does the flat black paint easy to get scratch? I looked at it at Performance bike shop and it looks really scratchy. Please let me know, thank you.

By the way, this is my very post in RBR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast