Fuji Altamira fans out there? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Idgitman
    Nov 2013
    Hey Gang, I found this old post and thought I share, since the same was recently a mystery to me and my LBS bike tech.

Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by jonstringer View Post
    I'm convinced that I am ridiculous for asking this question. I am planning on purchasing a 2011 carbon road bike kitted with ultegra 6700. Shimano uses the BB86. I don't want the ultegra on the bike, I'd like to swap it for Sram Force. Sram uses BB30 BB technology. So... Will the frame be able to accommodate the different Bottom Bracket system? The bike I want is the 2011 Fuji Altamira 2.0. Here is a link to the specs:

Fuji Bikes - USA Archive

Before I purchase this bike I'd like to make sure it can be set up with sram. my training bike is sram, and i'm afraid i'm not talented enought to fluently use two different groupsets.

jon
    I'm sure you've figured this out by now, but if not...

I offer this suggestion. First if you choose a a BB30 crankset you have to ensure that it has an 86.5mm spindle legnth. Std BB30 i think is designed for 68mm BB Shells.

For your altamira BB86, you can not use a std BB30 68mm crankset the spindle will not be long enough. So that leaves your with either 24mm spindle cranksets or BB386evo.

BB86 and BB386evo are NOT the same, I almost found out the hard way. BB/PF86 is based on the shimano std of 86.5mm wide bb shell and a 24mm spindle. BB386evo is base on a 86.5 wide bb shell but for a 30mm spindle. So, BB386 annotation stands for 30mm spindle, 86.5mm shell. PF86 is 24mm spindle 86.5 shell.

There is a solution if you want to upgrade to a BB386evo crankset. The issue is that on a BB386evo bb shell the bore opening is i think 46mm, on the BB/PF86 its only 41mm. The issue with a crankset with a 30mm spindle is that the bearing cups take up a certain amount of space and then you have the bearings, which is why, generally the 41mm PF86 opening can only accomodate the 24mm crank spindle.

However there is hope, Enduro bearings the maker of the bearings for the Rotor cranks which is based of the 30mm spindles makes a bearing that the bearing cup is integrated with the bearing body, and there by allowing the extra clearance need for the 30mm spindle.

The part is BB4130 or 41mm opening (PF86) 30mm Bearing opening (PF30). Originally these bearings came in black and red, however I have only been able to fined them in steel silver lately, I hear that there is also a ceramic version that yellow/gold in color, but the also cost in the $180-200plus range.

Hope this helps.

PS

If you still riding your altamira there is a new forum that started recently...
    Fuji Altamira fans out there?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    There is a lot of compatability between Sram and Shimano. Perhaps you can keep the Ultegra cranks and use Sram derailuers, shifters and such

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Just a pick of my 2012 Altamira with the Enve wheels. Amazing how much easier the bike goes forward in windy conditions compared to the Oval wheels
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    CX version count?

Altamira CX 1.3 by jsig1, on Flickr

dirty switchbacks by jsig1, on Flickr

Idgitman
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jsigone View Post
    CX version count?

Hells Yeah!!! It's and Altamira ain't it! LOL Welcome jsig1, looks great !

Idgitman
    Nov 2013
    Looking good MR645! I like what's the depth on those? Man, I get the shivers everytime I see your frame...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by idgitman View Post
    Looking good MR645! I like what's the depth on those? Man, I get the shivers everytime I see your frame...
    Nice one Mr645! Love the ENVE SES 3.4s! BoB all the way! Sick! Excellent choice in wheels and set up... I'm sure you're loving the roll... I hope you got the tubulars as they have a much better roll compared to the clinchers. What hubs do you have? The Chris Kings or DT Swiss?

Idgitman, if im not mistaken, the ENVEs that Mr645 has 35mm depth in the front wheel and 45mm in the rear. Much better handling in crosswinds compared to my 45s... The nice thing about those wheels is that they make ANY bike bad a*s. I also agree that the BoB frame Mr645 is awesome! By the way, how's your Altamira coming along? All done?

Thanks also for sharing the post on the BB86, 386, 30 etc...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the kind words. I really enjoy my bike, even though those Evne wheels were demo's that I had to give back after an hour.
    I think they were tubular and had Vittorio slicks on them. They seemed to add about 1mph to my speed in heavy winds, and that's considering that I ode the route with the Oval 330 wheels first.

If I did buy them, I would be even faster peddling from the wife after she found out how much they cost.

Idgitman
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr645 View Post
    Thanks for the kind words....

If I did buy them, I would be even faster peddling from the wife after she found out how much they cost.
    LOL I hear you on that. Glad I'm not married at this moment. In fact I only ended up getting the Altamira because I bought my girl friend a WSD GT it has Ultegra everything, Mavic wheels, and Richie carbon all over the place. Funny thing is, I got the bike at a steal for $600 from a would be Tri-athlete... Problem was I couldn't let her have a better bike that me, considering this was her first bike, my ego just wouldn't let it ride. To even further compound matters, the My stock Altamira was just marginally a one-up, so The I just had to blow it out the water and just replace everything so it was clear that my bike is better...LOL So, as my buddy puts it, her $600 bike + my ego ended up costing me about $4500...SMH, and mind you, I was happy as a Lark on my Fuji Cross Pro...LOL

Idgitman
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingBuddy View Post
    ...By the way, how's your Altamira coming along? All done?

Thanks also for sharing the post on the BB86, 386, 30 etc...
    No problem, I wish I had been educated about all the different Bottom Bracket standards and the specs regarding each, I'd be riding my bike, well if it weren't for the snow and ice, and fridgid temps here in DC...

But to answer your question , no, I have not had the bearing s pressed in yet, The unexpected snow down south has slowed my shipment of Loctite. As i had stated about the enduro bearings about the bearing cup being part of the bearing to accommodate the 30mm bb386evo spindle if the bearings ever go bad the whole bear which includes the integrated steel cup has to be replaced. So I chose a special loctite (609) that's for applications that will need to be serviced/taken out opposed to the loctite 480 that's recommended for the bottom brackets that have independent bearings and bearing cup, where the bearings can be replaced/service d with out removing the cups.

It's on its way now, it got stuck in Atlanta coming from Florida.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    CX version count?

Nice photos jsig1! Yes, the CX counts. It is still very much an Altamira! ;) i envy the clean downtube (no wires) and i like the color! I am hoping to try the CX version or just Cyclocross itself. Really intrigued about the fun it can give us who are hooked on cycling...

Welcome to the Fuji Altamira club and keep riding! Thanks for sharing your photos! Enjoy the ride!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    thanks, frame is routed for Di2 in case I ever want to make it an electric dirt bike LOL but internal cable route do look good. But I'm happy with the SRAM force. Only thing I might really change to the shifting group is swap out the force rear D for a Wifli version so I can run a 30 or 32t cassette. 36x28 might not be low enough....I'll know more after tomorrow ring around Palomar Mt tomorrow.

Idgitman
    Nov 2013
    36x28 might not be low enough....I'll know more after tomorrow ring around Palomar Mt tomorrow.
    I guess you are referring to 36t front chain ring and 28t largest rear cog? If so, your probrably right, thought about going compact? that way you'd get a 34t in the front, and if you still want to go more teeth in the back that would just better your low gear chances...

I have a 2010 Fuji Cross Pro that I ride more on road than cross, but I recently put compact front rings on and am glad I did so. The only draw back is little to big chain ring shifting, the tooth diff is higher by 6, so I find that I have to manually trim the rear by 1 or 2 before shifting the front...

Idgitman
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingBuddy View Post
    By the way, how's your Altamira coming along? All done?
    I got the Bearings pressed in and with great excitement rushed home to install the Crankset...
    Well, you can probably tell by how I started this that it wasn't successful. Long story short, The FSA tech apparently knew what he was talking about when he said that the version of the BB386evo k-force lights that I have wouldn't work, they bind to the point they donít rotate when partially tightening them. He did say that there was a machining oversight that they corrected in a later version and is accommodated for in the new 2014s.
    For the older version the spindle has to be etched '...BB86/30í mine is etched 'BB30/86', based on what happened, I would say the spindle is too short. prob by .5mm. probably since when using the crankset on a BB30 frame, FSA has adapters to take up the extra space, or the spindle my not be exactly 86.5mm, or that BB86 may need a little extra clearance than a true BB386, could be the way the BB shell is situated...?

Anyways, it didnít work, so I'm waiting to see if Wiggle will have a %off coupon that I can apply to the 2014 FSA K-force. At $621 I need all the help I can get, I didnít plan on spending that much $$ on a crank set, plus the cost of bearings, and labor to get them pressed in.
    Had I known I would have just kept my original bearings and put in a Dura-Ace and saved $250+.

Oh well, Hope this helps so you all donít fall into the same pit :-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I guess you are referring to 36t front chain ring and 28t largest rear cog? If so, your probrably right, thought about going compact? that way you'd get a 34t in the front, and if you still want to go more teeth in the back that would just better your low gear chances...
    My super6 is setup w/ 50/34 which is fine, I can adjust the cassette per ride type 11/23, 11/25 or 12/27 for climbing only days. In most cases I'd be in either ring most of the time. The CX bike is in between that world where I shift allot more in the larger rings to stay in the RPM range I want. It would be allot cheaper to put a 34 on and call it a day but I need more range for the stuff I'm up against, going from 36x28 to 34x28 might not be enough. Saturday I did Nate Harrison grade on Palomar Mt (think Tour of CA if you're not local) is 2hrs at average of 9.4% climb. MANY steeper ups in there where I was pulling on the top of the bars for leverage just to turn the pedals. I refused to walk and can't stand in most section either or tires will slip.

Bike Ride Profile | CX half ring around Palomar Mt near Escondido | Times and Records | Strava

half way up Nates pano by jsig1, on Flickr

up up and away....err more ups by jsig1, on Flickr

around 4100ft on nate harrison grade by jsig1, on Flickr

chilly above 5k ft by jsig1, on Flickr

clear views to downtown san diego from Palomar Mt by jsig1, on Flickr

Overlooking southgrade by jsig1, on Flickr

Idgitman
    Nov 2013

BB86 BB386evo Compatibility - FSA Cranksets

This Just in:

Just recieved confirmation from FSA. So 30mm spindle 86.5wide cranksets are now an opption, so long as you use the Enduro BB4130/FSA BB86 / 386EVO ADAPTER, part #200-3216 Bottom Brackets and either 2014 FSA BB386evo (Gossomer,Team,SLK,K-force) or Rotor3D/3D+ cranksets.

From FSA:

Patrik Zuest
    12:33 PM (19 minutes ago)

to me

The 2014 cranksets are all BB86 compatible. The machining change was specifically for the standard 5-arm style cranksets.

As for the Di2 compatibility. This is another thing that was done from day one on those cranks, and there isnít a non-di2 version of the crankset. It works perfectly with non-Di2 systems so no need to worry there either. You should be perfectly ok. If you get the crank and for some reason it is not BB86 compatible, let me know and we will make sure you are taken care of. I fully stand behind the info I am giving you on this one.

Patrik Zuest
    Tech Services
    Full Speed Ahead
    12212 Cyrus Way
    Mukilteo, WA 98275
    Phone: 425 488 8653
    Direct: 425 320 3097
    Fax: 425 489 1082

Idgitman
    Nov 2013

Smile

Guess What I just ordered...?

Found them here in America and $120 cheaper than on Wiggle... Thankyou Google for search results when we're sometimes not sure what we're searching for...LOL

I found them at the below site for $499

https://bicyclebuys.com/item/1577136...b386-evo-black

They also have the Race colors too, since I already have a good amount of red on the frame, I dont want to add anymore. I wanna be as much as I can be a part of team BoB like Mr645...LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Idgitman
    Nov 2013
    Ok so, I guess everyone has either been extremley busy out on training rides or you're out Christmas shopping for new bling for your Altamiras...:-)

Anybody getting any cool bling for your Altamiras?

Thinking about getting on of the new KMC chains (Black and Red) -KMC x10SL DLC 2.0

PFB
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2013
    Just got my 2013 Altamira 1.1 two weeks ago and love it. Got it at Performance and joined their "club" to get 10% back in store credit. It has taken some getting used to the DuraAce di2, but I love the way the bike rides. I looked around for a long time and in the end this bike represented the best bang for the buck AND had an exceptional ride. I used my credit to get a bigger cassette over the 11-25 because I live in the foothill mountains. I am still getting used to the bike, but I think I am gonna need a zero setback post to go with the 100mm stem. I am 5'10. Its my first time with carbon 46mm wheels. They do make a hum in the wind and with a crosswind like to today of 8-10mph with gusts of 18mph you had better not take your hands off the bars. They definitely catch some crosswinds. I hope this thread sparks more and continues to show more people how the brand has moved so far away from the low end walmart type bike market it was in less than 10 years ago. Ride safe friends.

PFB
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2013
    Nice. Never used Campy before, but I hear it's top notch stuff. Just be sure to test ride the actual frame. Its best if you can ride first. I went thru 7bikes at performance, a combo of diff sizes and SST, Altamira, and one Fondo for kicks.

Also be carful to make sure if you change cranks they will fit. I am chaging to a bb386evo crankset. I was under the impression that press fit 86 and bb386 were the same, close, but not the same. 386 evo will not fit without special bearings that appearently only Enduro makes for Rotor. Press fit 30 bottom brackets will not work. Fsa has a bb386 to bb86 adapter bb, but it only will work with the 2014 bb386evo cranksets, not the 2012/13 kforce lights as i have. So you either have to stick with the 24mm spindle based cranks or new fsa or Rotor who was a special bottem bracket made by enduro (bb4130, aka 41mm bore 30mm spindle), bb386 is either 44 or 46mm bore
    Sram Exogram GXP with GXP bottom bracket also work in a BB86 frame.

Idgitman
    Nov 2013
    Nice PFB, and welcome... and yeah, those cross wind can be a beast...LOL

Post pix when you get a chance...

Idgitman
    Nov 2013
    Thought about that, but wanted to cause myself great headache, with compatibility issues, pay more, oh and try out the the whole 30mm spindle thing...LOL

The 2014 K force hasnt arrived yet, but I have high hopes that it will be all that I wished for.

Idgitman
    Nov 2013
    Hey... been quiet in here...K-Force finally came, looks great, haven't had a chance to ride it yet...
    Attachment 291101

Attachment 291103

Domestic Drivin' E-Thug
    Aug 2002
    Also looking forward to seeing more pics. I have an Altamira 1.0 from 2 years ago with the fluro yellow lettering. At first I hated the lettering (they actually shipped the 1.0 to me by mistake when I ordered the lower end white-lettered one instead, but said I could just keep it if I wanted at the same price). Now I love the fluro yellow and wouldn't change a thing.

One thing I noticed about the Altamira, a bike "designed for stage racing" is that it is so absolutely compliant where it needs to be because of the tiny seat stays among other things. By comparison, my prior race bike just absolutely beats me up on rides longer than 75 miles, and I can really tell the difference now between the two. It is such a dramatic difference.

It does take a little getting used to deep carbon in relation to wind. Eventually, it just seems normal though and you're fine except in the worst conditions.

I just ordered these to compliment the fluro yellow of my Altamira:

Ľ 1-_MG_6903 Wheelworks.co.nz ? Handbuilt wheels

Should look amazing. Will post pics in 10 days when they arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by PFB View Post
    Just got my 2013 Altamira 1.1 two weeks ago and love it. Got it at Performance and joined their "club" to get 10% back in store credit. It has taken some getting used to the DuraAce di2, but I love the way the bike rides. I looked around for a long time and in the end this bike represented the best bang for the buck AND had an exceptional ride. I used my credit to get a bigger cassette over the 11-25 because I live in the foothill mountains. I am still getting used to the bike, but I think I am gonna need a zero setback post to go with the 100mm stem. I am 5'10. Its my first time with carbon 46mm wheels. They do make a hum in the wind and with a crosswind like to today of 8-10mph with gusts of 18mph you had better not take your hands off the bars. They definitely catch some crosswinds. I hope this thread sparks more and continues to show more people how the brand has moved so far away from the low end walmart type bike market it was in less than 10 years ago. Ride safe friends.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Looks mean! Great col
    or and components. How much does it weigh?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast