Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Good to see that many miles and no major problems with your Grand Fondo. The color scheme on your bike looks great, too.

I bought a Grand Fondo 2.3 from Performance in Allentown Pa. late this last Spring with 105s and hydraulic disc brakes for the nastier wet riding days we tend to get here in Maine. You might want to look at the disc model if you ever decide to change bikes. The stopping power and modulation of the disc is really a quantum step up from rim brakes. Makes a huge difference, especially in the rain.

Since you're from Torrance, Ca. you'll probably have to look up "nastier wet riding days" on Google. Something you most likely don't deal with a lot out there in all that California sunshine. And we don't even get to ride all year round either. Snow season makes it tough to do, though there are the few that don't stop riding just because the temperature is below freezing outside. I'm not one of those, yet. I use that part of the year to go snow skiing.

Anyway, the isolation from road buzz on this bike is super, too. Just feels very smooth and spoils the rider. I did a lot of comparison riding on several Endurance frames from different manufacturers, and for the price and ride quality, I couldn't turn down the Fuji. It's a sweet ride.

I have a great climbing bike and an aero bike, but this Endurance Grand Fondo model really shines on the rougher back roads and does really well on maintained gravel paths. It's not a lightweight at just a hair under 20 pounds, but I've been able to keep up with the road speedsters when I'm in a group by pushing a little extra effort into the pedals.

I also ride for weight control and fitness. You've done a great job at it. Don't stop cycling, 'cause it definitely gets harder to stay fit as you get older. I've always done quite a bit of riding, but really amped up the cycling when I started noticing that running was beginning to damage my knees and ankles a bit when I tried to extend my mileage. Cycling is just way nicer on the joints. If I jog, usually when the weather gets colder and too bad to bike, I keep it under 4 miles and use a cushioned running shoe.

You might enjoy a group ride now and then. Usually your local bike shop(s) will hook you up. The groups out here have all classification of riders and are a lot of fun with no pressure. The hotshots will gather and take off, never be seen again, but the rest of us all hang together and have a great time riding. That might spice up your riding and introduce a little variety in the route department. The other benefit is from the knowledge base of the group, from mechanical bike wrenching to riding technique. I've never met an unfriendly or unhelpful cyclist.

Hang in there and keep these updates coming!
    At my age, it's all uphill!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    4+ year update (anyone still care?).

Bike is still going strong. No creaks or problems at all. I have gotten back into a riding routine but I am not as fanatical about it as I was 3 years ago. I have been averaging about 150 miles of serious (I.E. riding for exercise) riding a week. My apps say I have covered about 15,000 miles total, and I also use the bike to commute and get around town, and I dont track those rides so the actual mileage is much higher. I got a job closer to my house and now commute daily by bike, but I do have to travel so I can occasionally go a week or two without riding.

I found a great sale and have bought an Ultegra R8000 52/36 crankset but haven't had the time or motivation to put it on. My old FSA factory crankset is fine, and the Praxis Works chainrings wear like diamonds covered in adamantium, but I want to try something different than the 50/34. I will post when I get around to it.

I also would like to give a shout out to Continental Gatorskin tires. I put them on and it has virtually eliminated flats for me. I am very happy with that product.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Amazing to find a 4 year old thread still going on the forum..CONGRATS!!!!
    Great to hear long term positive experience with your Fuji and Praxis rings since I recently got a Transonic (with Praxis cranks/rings) for an early BD present. Really like the bike so far, although with little mileage on it given the Midwest winter is fast approaching

RoadBikeReview Member
    4 year long thread that generates continued interest each year is pretty good! Great work "casual" on all those miles on your Fuji. Your dedication to staying fit and cycling is definitely commendable. Everyone has ups and downs with weight and fitness levels, but cycling is something that is really enjoyable. Also shows the Fuji Fondo frame is the real thing and durable. I've come to really appreciate this bike.

15,000 miles in 4 years is impressive. I haven't accumulated nearly that many miles on my Grand Fondo, but since I bought this bike, I've come to enjoy riding it more and more. Comfort is amazing. I generally use this bike for fun rides with friends and family, mostly on rolling coastal sections of Maine. I still use a lighter bike for bigger hill climbing rides, but it doesn't come close to the smooth feel that the Fuji allows on our sometimes rough roads. There is a huge difference, especially road buzz. I just don't feel any on the Fuji.

Give us another update when you get the chance to install the Ultegra crankset. Imagine it could be a tad lighter than your FSA/Praxis. Interesting to see if your speed goes up with the bigger 52/36 chain rings. What cassette range do you use on your bike?

Ride safe, but ride every chance you get. We had a decent riding season from late April to about mid October. Then it got cold quickly and stayed cold the last couple of weeks here. Snowed almost 2 inches on us yesterday, but still hoping for some mild 50 degree or above biking weather before the big Winter snows come.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Four years...dang. Thanks for the updates. It does me good to see that folks are still riding. Helps me get off the couch at oh-dark-hundred on a dizzly saturday morning.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yep! We all try to keep riding. I hadn't had the chance to ride for about a month due to bad weather, cold temperatures and some travel I had to do. Then on Wednesday, the sun came out and the temperature was heading toward 50 degrees so I hopped on the bike and cranked out a 42 mile ride. Then on Thursday I decided to do a shorter 30 mile ride in cooler 40 degree air.

Must say, I really do feel way better when I get the chance to ride, versus periods when I don't get the chance. So even here in Maine we ride when we can. Snowed last night, so our road riding weather is slowly coming to an end for the Winter season. I'll switch over to snow skiing soon and use my old indoor trainer a couple of times a week to keep the seat interface toughened up. If the snow report is good, I may even give this new early season snow a try at our local ski area on Monday. If not, I'll get out on the bike for a chilly 40 degree ride. Options, options.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thumbs up, oldbikah. Longtime family friends live in Portland. Maine is a beautiful state. We've been there many times. Camped in Arcadia. Wicked good !!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks! Maine has been an interesting place for me the past 23 years. Great place to cycle for sure, but it has it's Winter limits, unless you get a "fat bike" for some snow trail riding. I've been thinking about it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12