My new bike

Thread: My new bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007

My new bike

Here's my new 2012 Fuji SST Ltd bike finally done building it. Still waiting for the Michelin Pro 4 Red tires to arrive.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AnthonyL88; 04-10-2012 at 11:24 AM.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't like the colors. Too light. I can barely see it.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Sorry, had problems uploading the picture before.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What a sweet machine.....make sure you post a pic with the red tires!
    Fuji ACR 2.0
    Motobecane Jubilee Deluxe

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Quartermaster View Post
    What a sweet machine.....make sure you post a pic with the red tires!
    Here's a picture with the Michelin Pro 4 tires.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    I think the stem should be rotated...

RoadBikeReview Member
    The red hoods and tires are a really sharp look against the flat black....nice choice.
    Fuji ACR 2.0
    Motobecane Jubilee Deluxe

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gucho View Post
    I think the stem should be rotated...
    Why?
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Why?
    I think that in road bikes the stem is mounted mostly going down and in mountains going up. That's, I think, to be able to adopt a more aerodynamic posture in the road bike.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I think that in road bikes the stem is mounted mostly going down and in mountains going up. That's, I think, to be able to adopt a more aerodynamic posture in the road bike.
    On all bikes, the stem should be mounted in a way that's comfortable to the rider and suits their needs. Not everyone needs an aerodynamic posture, especially if they're not racing. Also frame geometry, headset spacers/steerer tube length will affect the stem as well. You could have an aerodynamic posture and still have your stem up.
    I would argue that for the average recreational rider, more stems are going up than are going down. Pretty obvious if you browse here..
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/beginners-corner/your-entry-level-bike-pics-upgrades-230505-2.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    On all bikes, the stem should be mounted in a way that's comfortable to the rider and suits their needs. Not everyone needs an aerodynamic posture, especially if they're not racing. Also frame geometry, headset spacers/steerer tube length will affect the stem as well. You could have an aerodynamic posture and still have your stem up.
    I would argue that for the average recreational rider, more stems are going up than are going down. ]
    Well, personally and ultimately for the look, all my roadies have the stem in the downward position.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, personally and ultimately for the look, all my roadies have the stem in the downward position.
    Gotcha.... fashion over function/comfort. If that works for you, great.
    But I think just telling someone "I think the stem should be rotated" for a purely fashionable reason is bad advice.
    Last edited by tlg; 04-11-2012 at 07:19 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Gotcha.... fashion over function/comfort.
    If you go to fuji website, all the roadbikes pictured, including the Fuji SST, had the stem mounted going down, so what's the issue. Mounting a stem in either position won't affect the function/comfort factor so much as to affect the look of the bike. A bike like the Fuji SST must have the stem in the downward position to have an agresive good looking, otherwise spend much less in a bike that you could be conmforting cruising...

Bike Enthusiast
    Apr 2011
    sweet looking bike. The tires and hoods really set this machine off!!!
    2013 Specialized Allez Compact
    2011 Specialized Crux Pinky SS
    2012 Specialized Crux Skittles
    2015 Trek Farley 6 Fat Bike
    2011 Fuji D6 3.0

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Gotcha.... fashion over function/comfort. If that works for you, great.
    But I think just telling someone "I think the stem should be rotated" for a purely fashionable reason is bad advice.
    For the contrary, telling someone who has spent that class of money to build this bike that it will look meaner with a simple stem rotation, is great advice.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    If you go to fuji website, all the roadbikes pictured, including the Fuji SST, had the stem mounted going down, so what's the issue.
    The issue is you NEVER base bike fit from a website photo. Those bikes also show the seat post with about 6" exposed and several inches above the handlebars. I guess that's how everyone should adjust their bike?

Mounting a stem in either position won't affect the function/comfort factor so much
    Utterly wrong.

A bike like the Fuji SST must have the stem in the downward position to have an agresive good looking,
    Why must a Fuji SST have an aggressive look?

Should the fashion aggressive police arrest this guy?

Or this guy https://www.buyathlon.com/words/wp-c...2/IMG_9823.jpg
    Or this guy https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_OLHSwj3JD.../s1600/009.JPG
    Or this guy https://bikemoments.s3-eu-west-1.ama...F3601EC162.jpg

For the contrary, telling someone who has spent that class of money to build this bike that it will look meaner with a simple stem rotation, is great advice.
    Sure, if looks are THAT important to you. And terrible advice if said fashion causes discomfort.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    I understand the bike does look better if I rotate the stem, but I've been dealing with some lower back pain lately. My back is getting better with therapy and in time the stem will be rotated.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyL88 View Post
    I understand the bike does look better if I rotate the stem, but I've been dealing with some lower back pain lately. My back is getting better with therapy and in time the stem will be rotated.
    What? You have a functional reason? Absurd... flip that stem and suck up the back pain. At least you'll look cool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    The issue is you NEVER base bike fit from a website photo. Those bikes also show the seat post with about 6" exposed and several inches above the handlebars. I guess that's how everyone should adjust their bike?

Utterly wrong.

Why must a Fuji SST have an aggressive look?

Should the fashion aggressive police arrest this guy?

For the stem maybe not, but the pedals deserve it...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    What? You have a functional reason? Absurd... flip that stem and suck up the back pain. At least you'll look cool.
    The change in the position of the handle by a flip of the stem can be counteracted by a change in the spacers; that is the reason they are there.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    The change in the position of the handle by a flip of the stem can be counteracted by a change in the spacers; that is the reason they are there.
    Not always. Not all bikes have sufficient spacers. Some don't have any at all. Some riding positions require a flip of the stem as well as spacers.
    The OP couldn't have his handlebars in the position he does with a down stem. He's already at the top of his spacer stack.

How do you raise these handlebars with spacers? Are you going to tell me this bike with a flipped stem wouldn't have an aggressive riding position?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Not always. Not all bikes have sufficient spacers. Some don't have any at all. Some riding positions require a flip of the stem as well as spacers.
    The OP couldn't have his handlebars in the position he does with a down stem. He's already at the top of his spacer stack.

How do you raise these handlebars with spacers? Are you going to tell me this bike with a flipped stem wouldn't have an aggressive riding position?
    No. My only thought is that this bike with a flipped stem will not look as good. But if the only manner to fit it is by flipping the stem, then flip it and be comfortable happy...