The New Fuji SL - What will it weigh? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 34 of 34
  1. #26
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,901
    Quote Originally Posted by andyaa View Post
    I have been looking at the SL 1.3. But I can't find any in the state. I would really like see/try one before I buy. Only smaller shops seem to carry Fuji and they would have to special order one. When you folks buy the frame and build up your own, you can't try it first either, is that a concer? What if you don't like it after it is built?
    I really like to test ride first, but that's me and others don't care as much. Try performance bike if you have one near you.

  2. #27
    Forever a Student
    Reputation: MMsRepBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,963
    Quote Originally Posted by andyaa View Post
    I have been looking at the SL 1.3. But I can't find any in the state. I would really like see/try one before I buy. Only smaller shops seem to carry Fuji and they would have to special order one. When you folks buy the frame and build up your own, you can't try it first either, is that a concer? What if you don't like it after it is built?
    Those of us that buy framesets and build them ourselves understand geometry usually. Meaning we buy a frame that will fit us correctly. We know it will fit before buying it. That being said, if a frame fits right, it'll ride fine. Any frame of any material that fits well is going to ride good. They all have their own characteristics with their angles and such but they're all pretty close.

    And test riding a bike doesn't tell you much of anything at all. Especially if you're one to buy framesets and build yourself.

    Did the test bike have the exact same fit as your current bike to the millimeter? If not the difference in fit is going to make more of a difference than the different ride characteristics of the bike. The different wheels and components and saddle will heavily skew the opinion of the frame one way or the other. I think test riding bikes is dumb unless you don't know exactly what you're after and plan to ride it exactly as it was tested.
    use a torque wrench

  3. #28
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    115
    Also I figure if I get it from a reliable bike shop they will work with me on the fit. And probably upgrade/swap components as I request. Would like some carbon wheels on the 1.3.

  4. #29
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,901
    I will only say this: I get a feel for how my body fits/feels on a bike during a test ride (but my favorite shop has good fitters and Guru system we usually play with before I go out on a test) and also some general understanding about how it handles (based on geometry) and the ride quality (you can take your own wheels with you or try bikes with the same wheels, etc.). So, while I can agree with some this, all of it doesn't work for me and I don't consider test riding before purchasing to be a dumb or unnecessary practice. I like to test bikes before I make up my mind and spend money, but that may just be me.
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 01-07-2016 at 05:57 AM.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  5. #30
    I love to climb!
    Reputation: Jwiffle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,001
    Quote Originally Posted by andyaa View Post
    I have been looking at the SL 1.3. But I can't find any in the state. I would really like see/try one before I buy. Only smaller shops seem to carry Fuji and they would have to special order one. When you folks buy the frame and build up your own, you can't try it first either, is that a concer? What if you don't like it after it is built?
    A short 5 minute test ride really won't tell you all that much. A longer test ride of a minimum 30 minutes (hour is better) will be of more use. Honestly, the test ride is usually overrated. If you have an idea of what size you need, you can purchase without a test ride, then fine tune from there. I haven't done a test ride before a purchase in many years (and I've gone through a number of bikes, all of which fit well and ride great). If you've purchased the right size, you will like the bike. You may need to swap some parts, like stem, post, or bars to get it to feel the way you like it best, but that's easy enough.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

  6. #31
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    115
    I found Scheels carries Fuji bikes in my town. They would have to special order an SL 1.3 but would be willing to customize it any way I want. Need to find some carbon wheels. Dura-Ace C24, Zipp 202?

  7. #32
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,901
    Quote Originally Posted by andyaa View Post
    I found Scheels carries Fuji bikes in my town. They would have to special order an SL 1.3 but would be willing to customize it any way I want. Need to find some carbon wheels. Dura-Ace C24, Zipp 202?
    Both are good, as are Reynolds Assault SLG, Giant Bikes new SLR1 and SLR0, Enve 3.4, Bontrager Aelous 3 wheels, Ritchey carbon wheels, and a few others. On the budget/Chinese end, take a look at Yoeleo.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  8. #33
    coaster
    Reputation: Lelandjt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,051
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    Those of us that buy framesets and build them ourselves understand geometry usually. Meaning we buy a frame that will fit us correctly. We know it will fit before buying it. That being said, if a frame fits right, it'll ride fine. Any frame of any material that fits well is going to ride good. They all have their own characteristics with their angles and such but they're all pretty close.

    And test riding a bike doesn't tell you much of anything at all. Especially if you're one to buy framesets and build yourself.

    Did the test bike have the exact same fit as your current bike to the millimeter? If not the difference in fit is going to make more of a difference than the different ride characteristics of the bike. The different wheels and components and saddle will heavily skew the opinion of the frame one way or the other. I think test riding bikes is dumb unless you don't know exactly what you're after and plan to ride it exactly as it was tested.
    I've never test ridden a bike before getting it and I usually have the option to. Numbers tell me what I need to know and the setup and parts of a test bike are gonna throw off perception.

  9. #34
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,901
    Here's some actual weight/scale shots:

    2016 Fuji SL 1.1 + Review - Weight Weenies
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. What does your Fuji weigh?
    By Oldlegs in forum Fuji
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-08-2014, 05:50 PM
  2. Fuji Altamira VS Fuji SST VS Madone 4.5
    By microspawn in forum Fuji
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-02-2014, 10:36 AM
  3. FOCUS Ilzalco, Fuji SST, or Fuji Altimira?
    By gnauss in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-12-2013, 06:09 PM
  4. Fuji SST 1.0 (2011) v Fuji SST 1.1 (2013)
    By markgiardini in forum Fuji
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-04-2012, 06:37 PM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-20-2011, 05:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.