The New Fuji SL - What will it weigh?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002

The New Fuji SL - What will it weigh?

Fuji's website has a tease prior to their launch of the new SL on August 20. Any guesses? I'm expecting something between 13 - 14 pounds. Excluding pedals, of course. And less than $6K

Fuji SL Sneak Peek #2![UNIQID]
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Well, I wasn't close. The top of the line SL has a claimed weight of just 10.91 Lbs
    SL 1.1 | SL

The next models down the line are much less impressive, at 14.17 lbs, 14.48 lbs, 16.50, 17.86, etc.

Heck, the 2.3 model, with mechanical Ultegra weighs more than the same trim on my Transonic 2.3. 17.86# vs. 16.96#

SL 1.3 | SL
    SL 1.5 | SL
    SL 2.1 | SL
    SL 2.3 | SL
    SL 2.5 | SL
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

I love to climb!
    Still pretty impressive to me
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle View Post
    Still pretty impressive to me
    I am very impressed by what I have read about this bike thus far at the price point it is expected to be sold at. Apparently, you will be able to get a top of the line 1.1 Frameset for like $1900. I am loving that. This looks like the best bike Fuji has ever made.

http://www.fujibikes.com/sl/

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/news/article/new-fuji-sl-almost-2kg-too-light-for-the-pros-45073/
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 08-21-2015 at 04:27 AM.

FTP testing
    I am also very impressed. Would be a frame I would consider buying, assuming reviews are positive and I enjoyed a test ride.

With Performance Bike frequent 15% and 20% off coupons, this could turn into a very nice 'budget' build. Not that much more than some aluminum and lower end carbon fiber frames.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
    I am also very impressed. Would be a frame I would consider buying, assuming reviews are positive and I enjoyed a test ride.

With Performance Bike frequent 15% and 20% off coupons, this could turn into a very nice 'budget' build. Not that much more than some aluminum and lower end carbon fiber frames.
    I agree 100%. They also usually have a Performance exclusive model that is even cheaper than the others. If the test rides and reviews pan out, this one could be tough to beat as a value.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Wait for fathers day and they always do 30% back in points

FTP testing
    IS Fuji pretty good with their claimed weight vs. actual weight? Hopefully the new SL rides as nice as it sounds.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    IS Fuji pretty good with their claimed weight vs. actual weight? Hopefully the new SL rides as nice as it sounds.
    There are already some first look type reviews out there that talk about actual weight of some models. It sounds like they are fairly close.

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/previews/fuji-steps-its-game-new-sl

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Using a 900 g tubular wheel set certainly helps with the weight. There are some other parts specific to the SL SRAM RED version to that light weight parts. That's why the Red 22 model jumps to $10k while the DuraAce Di2 version which has Oval wheels is $6300.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr645 View Post
    Using a 900 g tubular wheel set certainly helps with the weight. There are some other parts specific to the SL SRAM RED version to that light weight parts. That's why the Red 22 model jumps to $10k while the DuraAce Di2 version which has Oval wheels is $6300.
    Yep. I still think the best bang for the buck is to buy the frameset, some decently priced carbon wheels that weigh in at 1300-1500 or so grams, a decent component package and cockpit and you probably end up with a sub 15lb bike for less than $4000 if you do even a decent job of shopping. Performance has some solid Reynolds wheels for $999. You can get a Shimano 105 group for less than $400 as well or Ultegra for like $600. Throw that together and you have a common man's super bike.

FTP testing
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    There are already some first look type reviews out there that talk about actual weight of some models. It sounds like they are fairly close.

Fuji Steps Up Its Game with the New SL | Bicycling
    I had already read that review and they still talk about claimed weight. Didn't see any scale shots or mention of them verifying the claimed weight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I had already read that review and they still talk about claimed weight. Didn't see any scale shots or mention of them verifying the claimed weight.
    Bike Radar and Bike Rumor are usually the ones that focus on getting that information out. My guess is that all of the official test ride info is still probably a few weeks away as the design was just officially released a day or so ago. The numbers are probably close to the 745 for the frame we keep hearing though. At this price point how much does it really matter even if they are 30-40 grams off? That is still a great deal at this price point.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Bike Radar and Bike Rumor are usually the ones that focus on getting that information out. My guess is that all of the official test ride info is still probably a few weeks away as the design was just officially released a day or so ago. The numbers are probably close to the 745 for the frame we keep hearing though. At this price point how much does it really matter even if they are 30-40 grams off? That is still a great deal at this price point.
    These guys seem to think it's pretty light lol....

https://instagram.com/p/6r1OaCRB43/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Definitely excited about this bike. Wonder when they will start showing up at dealers?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahillock View Post
    Definitely excited about this bike. Wonder when they will start showing up at dealers?
    First shipment is supposed to be late October to early November. At least that's what I was told yesterday.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    It's sounds like the weight claims are ringing true thus far: Spanish mechanics relaxed as Vuelta draws nigh - BikeRadar

FTP testing
    Any owners of the current Fuji Altamira? Curious what your thoughts are on it and what areas you hope Fuji improved on for the SL?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

Just some thoughts:

Fuji SL frameset: $1900
    Shimano 9000/SRAM Red 22: $1200
    Favorite handlebar/stem/seatpost/saddle: $1000
    Favorite wheels: xxxxx

So for around $4,000 plus whatever you want to spend on wheels or whatever wheels you already have, you could build a very solid bike. If you go the SRAM Red route, could build a very lightweight bike for a fairly 'reasonable' price considering the pricing what you would pay for a similar build from other companies.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahillock View Post

Just some thoughts:

Fuji SL frameset: $1900
    Shimano 9000/SRAM Red 22: $1200
    Favorite handlebar/stem/seatpost/saddle: $1000
    Favorite wheels: xxxxx

So for around $4,000 plus whatever you want to spend on wheels or whatever wheels you already have, you could build a very solid bike. If you go the SRAM Red route, could build a very lightweight bike for a fairly 'reasonable' price considering the pricing what you would pay for a similar build from other companies.
    Those are my thoughts as well, but I would probably opt for the following:

-Shimano Ultegra 6800- $600
    -2016 Giant SLR 1 wheels- approx $1300 or the Performance exclusive Reynolds wheels @ $999.00 or Williams 38 wheels @$1199
    -Specialized Power Expert saddle $130 and seatpost with zerts insert $110
    - Fizik Cyrano R1 or Ritchey cockpit for $200-$600 or Zipp Service Course cockpit for $120 or so.
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 08-24-2015 at 05:32 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Any owners of the current Fuji Altamira? Curious what your thoughts are on it and what areas you hope Fuji improved on for the SL?
    I think my only concern with my 2012 Altamira SE is the bottom bracket. The press fit system will eventually wear out making difficult to keep replacing bottom brackets as they wear out. But other wise it's been a great bike, pretty comfy, durable, well built.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr645 View Post
    I think my only concern with my 2012 Altamira SE is the bottom bracket. The press fit system will eventually wear out making difficult to keep replacing bottom brackets as they wear out. But other wise it's been a great bike, pretty comfy, durable, well built.
    It looks like they have included Praxis on every SL model to help avoid those issues and prevent any creaking.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Have a 2014 2.1. Overall it's a good bike. It's comfortable, handles well, and seems to be well made. Other than the Di wire rattling around in the down tube when it was new (fixed it), it doesn't make any noise--creaks, etc.

I guess it could be a bit stiffer in the BB area. It could be lighter--the 2.1 has the heavier fork and heavier carbon. Overall, I'm happy with it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    Fuji's website has a tease prior to their launch of the new SL on August 20. Any guesses? I'm expecting something between 13 - 14 pounds. Excluding pedals, of course. And less than $6K

Fuji SL Sneak Peek #2![UNIQID]
    Here's some more info on the weight and ride quality: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLsfZ77PJBs
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    I have been looking at the SL 1.3. But I can't find any in the state. I would really like see/try one before I buy. Only smaller shops seem to carry Fuji and they would have to special order one. When you folks buy the frame and build up your own, you can't try it first either, is that a concer? What if you don't like it after it is built?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast