Transonic not fast enough! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I love to climb!

Transonic not fast enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Congrats, it looks good and I think you made some good choices on your build. Wheels can always be upgraded, so I wouldn't sweat the weight too much. Technology continuosly improves, which means you will probably be interested in a different wheelset in due time. Those would be a great set of back-up wheels if you decide to upgrade down the road anyway and are more than fine to start with now. I am happy for you man.

I got some disaappointing news today. All 3 of the Fuji shops within a half hour of where I live now (Atlanta) all said that they cannot tell me when framesets will be available in America. Information suggesting they are available or will be soon was on vendor sites a few days or so ago, but is now gone. It just says accepting back orders. My other bikes I selected this one over were the Specialized Tarmac Sport SL4, the Lapierre Xelius, the Scott Addict 30, Trek Emonda SL, and the Norco Tactic. I guess I could go with one of those, but I really kind of had my heart set on building one of these up from the Transonic SL frameset at this point. I do really like the Addict as well, but it's not the same kind of value that Transonic is price wise. Starting to reconsider going with the 2.3 again, it looks like that one might be available (at least it's on Performance's site. None of the 105 equipped bikes or the frameset are anymore). I guess my other option is that I could spend the next month or two acquiring my components and wheels and hope the framesets are available at that point (I have identified some amazing deals out there). My concern is that I do that and then find out that the Transonic framesets won't be available for months and months. .....
    Yeah, I had to wait quite a while. Looking at Fuji's stock now on the dealer site...they have the 1.1s, a couple 1.3s, most sizes 2.1s, and a couple sizes 2.7 with more 2.7 due beginning of February. I don't see when frame sets are due, would have to call.

I'll give a ride report soon as the snow is gone!
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle View Post
    Yeah, I had to wait quite a while. Looking at Fuji's stock now on the dealer site...they have the 1.1s, a couple 1.3s, most sizes 2.1s, and a couple sizes 2.7 with more 2.7 due beginning of February. I don't see when frame sets are due, would have to call.

I'll give a ride report soon as the snow is gone!
    Cool. Oh really.... (on the availability of the 2.7). The 2.7's aren't on the performance site anymore. Maybe I will just go that route and get some lighter wheels (Cero or Reynolds), a lighter cockpit (Zipp or Ritchey), and a lighter crankset (not sure which one yet). So long as I build a bike that is around 16 or so pounds, I don't care. I might be able to get there with the 2.7 because it would leave me so much cash to play with on the component and wheels side.

I could pursue things like these (which I can get at a discount price at a few places):

Cero AR30 wheelset review - Cycling Weekly (1400g for $600)

wiggle.com | Reynolds Attack Carbon Clincher Wheelset | Road Race Wheels

Ultimate Control: The Ritchey Cockpit ? Peloton

Zipp Alloy Just Got A Redesign ? Peloton

Zipp - Speed Weaponry | Bars | Service Course 80

Specialized Bicycle Components

It could be a really nice bike if the 2.7 frameset is a solid ride and it wouldn't destroy my budget or marriage (it does kind of bug me that I can't test ride it first though). Any thoughts???
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 01-06-2015 at 05:54 PM.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

I love to climb!

Cool. Oh really.... (on the availability of the 2.7). The 2.7's aren't on the performance site anymore. Maybe I will just go that route and get some lighter wheels (Cero or Reynolds), a lighter cockpit (Zipp or Ritchey), and a lighter crankset (not sure which one yet). So long as I build a bike that is around 16 or so pounds, I don't care. I might be able to get there with the 2.7 because it would leave me so much cash to play with on the component and wheels side.

I could pursue things like these (which I can get at a discount price at a few places):

Cero AR30 wheelset review - Cycling Weekly (1400g for $600)

wiggle.com | Reynolds Attack Carbon Clincher Wheelset | Road Race Wheels

Ultimate Control: The Ritchey Cockpit ? Peloton

Zipp Alloy Just Got A Redesign ? Peloton

Zipp - Speed Weaponry | Bars | Service Course 80

Specialized Bicycle Components

It could be a really nice bike if the 2.7 frameset is a solid ride and it wouldn't destroy my budget or marriage (it does kind of bug me that I can't test ride it first though). Any thoughts???
    Sounds like it could be a good plan.

As for test riding before purchasing, I can't remember the last time I rode a bike before purchasing. I know the geo I'm looking for. And I don't always need to compare bikes; if a bike has the features I want and gets decent reviews, I'll experiment. 'Course owning a shop now can make doing so a little easier.
    Get Out! Have Fun!

I love to climb!

So I've managed to get one ride in on the bike a few days ago. Not enough to give a full ride report, but a first impression, anyway. Before even riding it, I knew the 120mm stem would be too long. 100mm on order, but wanted to ride it anyway. Definitely too long with 120mm stem for me. I was too stretched and the steering felt a little vague. I have since put the 100mm stem on, but haven't had a chance to ride it. Just around the shop, though, it feels like it will improve the ride for me, both in terms of reach and steering.

The bike feels fast, but I've been riding my 30+ lb commuter bike the last several months, so anything will feel fast! I'll find out when weather gets better if it's actually any faster than my previous bike, at least on flats. I did notice that the bike was very comfortable, in that it really sucked up road vibrations. Better damping than the TCR I had previously. Also, I was surprised that I felt very little of being pushed around in crosswinds with the aero frame and wheels. I had not ridden wheels with ad deep a profile, so I expected to find myself blown around in crosswinds. It was not particularly windy out, but there is always some wind around here. Think the aero wheels will help a lot in headwinds, and glad they seem like they won't hinder me in crosswinds.

I'll follow up in a month or two with a longer term review after I have some more rides on it. So far, I think it will be exactly what I wanted: light, comfortable, and an aero assistance on the flats compared to my previous bikes, without holding me back on the climbs.
    Get Out! Have Fun!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Really looking forward to your 2nd review.

I'm really surprised about the weight on your bike as my 2006 Fuji Team Pro (52cm) weights exactly 16 lbs with the saddle bag.

I love to climb!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keoki View Post
    Really looking forward to your 2nd review.

I'm really surprised about the weight on your bike as my 2006 Fuji Team Pro (52cm) weights exactly 16 lbs with the saddle bag.
    I'm actually surprised your bike would be that light! Mainly, though, if the Transonic came with lightweight box rims instead of the aero rims it would be in at under 16lbs with pedals. And if it was 6cm smaller (mines a 58), it'd probably same a couple ounces, as well. The bike is in the ballpark of what I've had before, so I'm not worried about the weight. But I did put a shorter stem on it, saving 20 grams in the process, and put some lightweight skewers on it. It now weighs 16.71 pounds ready to roll.
    Last edited by Jwiffle; 01-28-2015 at 07:17 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle View Post
    So I've managed to get one ride in on the bike a few days ago. Not enough to give a full ride report, but a first impression, anyway. Before even riding it, I knew the 120mm stem would be too long. 100mm on order, but wanted to ride it anyway. Definitely too long with 120mm stem for me. I was too stretched and the steering felt a little vague. I have since put the 100mm stem on, but haven't had a chance to ride it. Just around the shop, though, it feels like it will improve the ride for me, both in terms of reach and steering.

The bike feels fast, but I've been riding my 30+ lb commuter bike the last several months, so anything will feel fast! I'll find out when weather gets better if it's actually any faster than my previous bike, at least on flats. I did notice that the bike was very comfortable, in that it really sucked up road vibrations. Better damping than the TCR I had previously. Also, I was surprised that I felt very little of being pushed around in crosswinds with the aero frame and wheels. I had not ridden wheels with ad deep a profile, so I expected to find myself blown around in crosswinds. It was not particularly windy out, but there is always some wind around here. Think the aero wheels will help a lot in headwinds, and glad they seem like they won't hinder me in crosswinds.

I'll follow up in a month or two with a longer term review after I have some more rides on it. So far, I think it will be exactly what I wanted: light, comfortable, and an aero assistance on the flats compared to my previous bikes, without holding me back on the climbs.
    Glad to hear you at least got out and tried it. The Transonic, the Giant TCR Advanced (Pro probably), and the Specialized Tarmac are my finalists. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the TCR vs. the Transonic. Delivery dates are still weeks out for both the Fuji and the Giant bikes (14-15 weeks for the Giants and at least 3 to 4 for the Fuji). That's really what is keeping the Tarmac in play (it could be ordered pretty much immediately) because I really loved the ride (and the price) of TCR Advanced when I tested it and I am really intrigued by the Transonic (but nobody can tell me when I might be able to actually test ride one because they don't know what sizes they will get in February or March). I am looking forward to hearing more as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    fuji.jpg here is my 2.3. love it so far, although I only have 20 miles on her. it still needs some adjusting

I love to climb!
    Thought I'd give an update now that I've had a few more rides. The shorter stem did the trick for me as far as my reach. It made the steering more responsive for me, as well. It's been windy and cold, so haven't had any real direct comparisons on my usual routes to determine if the aeroness accounts for much, but it certainly doesn't feel like it hurts anything! Still surprised that I'm not pushed around more by side wind. Definitely get pushed around more than my previous standard tubed bikes with lower profile rims, but really not bad at all. Nothing to worry about, anyway. The bike is stiff and transfers power well up the climbs. Aero may not help much on climbs, but the bike is no slower up climbs than my previous bikes.
    I'm looking forward to setting some PRs this year, and this bike will certainly help me achieve them!
    Get Out! Have Fun!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I finally got to get my hands on Transonic for a test ride today. The local Performance got a 2.3 with Ultegra 6800 in stock in my size (S/M). They let me take it out for a decent amount of time on a loop that included 1 short punchy climb, lots of flats, and some rough roads as well. I did about 4 circuits alternating between all out sprinting efforts, out of the saddle climbing, and just cruising along. To sum up my feelings: I really, really liked it man. I enjoyed the ride more than I did on either the Venge or the Propel I tested before. This felt a little stiffer in the bottom bracket area and more comfortable all at the same time (go figure). I prefer Fuji's integrated brake system over what you find on the Felt or Giant aero bikes. I was also impressed to see how light it felt for an aero bike, how much clearance there is for wider tires, and completely blown away by the price ($2100 at my shop which is $200 less than MSRP). It's really great bike and the best product I have seen from Fuji.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    A post ride pic-

Attachment 304996Attachment 304997

It doesn't do the bike justice at all. The 2.3 is really nice looking in person. Of course I would adjust the cockpit by flipping the stem and removing spacers, etc. if I pulled the trigger. I didn't have a fit done or anything before the test ride and was on my way to a movie, so I just wanted to get out as quickly as possible. It's easily my favorite aero road bike I have ever ridden.
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 04-05-2015 at 03:14 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    This is one with a nice set-up...

Attachment 304998

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I took delivery of a 2.3 last week & put 175 miles on it so far. By far and away the best aero road bike I've ridden. That being said, it's the only aero road bike I've ridden. Compared to what I've been riding for the past few years - a Trek 5200 and a SWorks CX with road tires, it's noticeably faster, lighter and stiffer. At this price point, and the fact that my favorite LBS is a Fuji dealer, I wasn't going to shop around and agonize over the decision. I've read up enough on the current aero offerings to conclude that the Transonic had what I was looking for. So after a satisfying test ride, I just pulled the trigger. I'm happy with it so far, but I've reached the rather depressing conclusion that a 30 MPH headwind is still a 30 MPH headwind, no matter how aero the bike is.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    I took delivery of a 2.3 last week & put 175 miles on it so far. By far and away the best aero road bike I've ridden. That being said, it's the only aero road bike I've ridden. Compared to what I've been riding for the past few years - a Trek 5200 and a SWorks CX with road tires, it's noticeably faster, lighter and stiffer. At this price point, and the fact that my favorite LBS is a Fuji dealer, I wasn't going to shop around and agonize over the decision. I've read up enough on the current aero offerings to conclude that the Transonic had what I was looking for. So after a satisfying test ride, I just pulled the trigger. I'm happy with it so far, but I've reached the rather depressing conclusion that a 30 MPH headwind is still a 30 MPH headwind, no matter how aero the bike is.
    Lol, at least you are suffering on a nice bike. One thing I was not impressed with was the saddle. That thing was pretty uncomfortable (hard really). The wheels were better than I expected though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Lol, at least you are suffering on a nice bike. One thing I was not impressed with was the saddle. That thing was pretty uncomfortable (hard really). The wheels were better than I expected though.
    Yeah, I don't care for the saddle either. But then again, none of my 4 other bikes have the saddle they originally came with. As far as the wheels go, I'll have to see how they hold up in the long run.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I swapped the saddle with a Fizik from one of my other bikes and that vastly improved the comfort. The only issue I've had so far with the Transonic is that the seatpost tended to slip down a bit. I may need to exceed the recommended torque on the binder bolt.

I did a group ride with the usual cast of characters over the weekend and had no trouble keeping pace, until the end of the ride, when one of the guys, who usually fades toward the end, dropped the hammer and left us in the dust. He was riding a new Fuji Fran Fondo. Did I get the wrong Fuji?
    Last edited by AlanE; 04-14-2015 at 04:10 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Make sure your fit is letting you get the best leverage and power to the bike, but other than that the difference between a Grand Fondo, Transonic or 50 other similar road bikes would not make any difference. Most likely he avoided the front and had spent less energy then normal during the ride and had more in reserves toward the end

I love to climb!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    I swapped the saddle with a Fizik from one of my other bikes and that vastly improved the comfort. The only issue I've had so far with the Transonic is that the seatpost tended to slip down a bit. I may need to exceed the recommended torque on the bunder bolt.

I did a group ride with the usual cast of characters over the weekend and had no trouble keeping pace, until the end of the ride, when one of the guys, who usually fades toward the end, dropped the hammer and left us in the dust. He was riding a new Fuji Fran Fondo. Did I get the wrong Fuji?
    Sounds like mr645 is right. You're friend on the gran fondo knew he usually faded, so was probably careful to avoid the front just to save his energy
    I've ridden the fondo. It's a great bike, but the transonic is the 'faster' bike. (All else being equal, between the aeroness of the bike and the more aero body position, particularly-not as upright as the fondo-you'd be faster on a transonic)
    Get Out! Have Fun!

I love to climb!
    I've been putting some good miles on the Transonic the past month. Best road bike I've had, bar none. I've gotten completely used to the handling with the aero wheels, and the thing flies. Comfortable on long rides (75 mile rides so far as longest). I have set numerous PRs. The aeroness does seem to help on the flat segments, and doesn't hold me back on climbs.

The Transonic IS fast enough!
    Get Out! Have Fun!

What the Hell is going on
    I finally joined the 21st century and bought this carbon fiber bike (58cm). I cheaped out and got the 2.5 instead of the 2.3. Overall I am happy with the bike. Some rants include the tektro direct mount brakes. Some of the linkages on the brakes themselves were stiff and I couldn't center the brakes correctly. I'm old and my eyesight is poor. The adjustment screw is a Torx #10 not an Allen wrench. Once I took off the brakes and loosened up the linkages it was a pain to re-install the brakes. Finally, I thought I could use some of my old wheelset (19mm & 20mm) but the direct mount brakes are actually set up better for the new wider type rims (23mm & 25mm).

Other than those small rants I love this bike.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    I really don't like the Transonic. I feel like it's one of the lower end attempts at the aero trend right now. The Oval components don't help. You spend all that money and then need to upgrade the parts right away. Tests done on the Transonic vs SST vs Altamira found over a 40k, the Transonic was fastest, then Altamira, THEN SST. Transonic feels ugly when you hit the climbs, just grab an Altamira, build your dream and call it a day.

I love to climb!
    Quote Originally Posted by avantcorevb View Post
    I really don't like the Transonic. I feel like it's one of the lower end attempts at the aero trend right now. The Oval components don't help. You spend all that money and then need to upgrade the parts right away. Tests done on the Transonic vs SST vs Altamira found over a 40k, the Transonic was fastest, then Altamira, THEN SST. Transonic feels ugly when you hit the climbs, just grab an Altamira, build your dream and call it a day.
    With a full Dura Ace setup, I have had nothing to upgrade. The oval wheels are more aero than box section rims, so they're aero enough for me (No experience with other aero wheels, tbh)
    The ride certainly doesn't feel low end to me. Certainly as high end as the Giant TCR advanced it replaced. And your statement that it's faster than Fuji's other offerings means they meet their goal with the bike. I do honestly wonder why they have kept the SST, though.
    Get Out! Have Fun!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    It may be lower end as far as price...but at the price point they have them set at I think they are a good deal. For me it matters that the bike fits me and I enjoyr riding it for a good price. I am not sure what I would need to upgrade to make the bike noticably better. I have the 2.3 so it is mostly Ultegra. The diff between the 105 cassette and Ultegra is not worth mentioning (not my opinion but the opinion of many folks). Seat can be improved, but then again, many folks I know change out the stock saddle anyway. I have actually gotten use to mine and I do 70-100 mile rides on the weekends.

So far the wheels are fine. I thought about changing them but many folks have said I would not notice a real difference.

So, what parts should I be upgrading?
    Isaiah 6:8
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    Crankset, rims (they do make a huge difference, even if you get some other alloy clinchers, there are much better options than the 527s), then you can upgrade stem and bars to carbon to help absorb shock. Also, the tires. If you're going to stay with Vittoria, I would go with the Rubinos at least and a 25mm tire will give you better comfort and a better contact patch with surprisingly less rolling resistance compared to 23s.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    Crankset, rims (they do make a huge difference, even if you get some other alloy clinchers, there are much better options than the 527s), then you can upgrade stem and bars to carbon to help absorb shock. Also, the tires. If you're going to stay with Vittoria, I would go with the Rubinos at least and a 25mm tire will give you better comfort and a better contact patch with surprisingly less rolling resistance compared to 23s.
    Thanks for the advice...but those are all "desires or wants". Not needs. I am looking at the November wheelsets for two reasons: good reviews and 2: I might want to have the ability to easily change out wheelsets that have a different tire and cassette on them depending on what ride I want. But that is really a want.

I am going to 25 mm tires when the Vittoria's wear out. I do about 260 to 300 miles a week so I will definitly be in the market for new tires. I would have been in the market for new tires anyway even if the bike came with something other than Vittoria 23mm.

I am getting another bike soon. I might just get the frame and build it myself or have the bike shop build it. Or buy something with all the bells and whistles. I bought the Fuji becuase it fit my needs and wallet.

Not one bike is for everyone.
    Isaiah 6:8
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast