Transonic not fast enough! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    What the Hell is going on
    My bike is stock. Besides the stiff links on the tektro direct mount brakes (I have a 58cm Transonic 2.5) I see no reason to change out anything in the near future. The bike rides fine as is but I do prefer 180mm cranks instead of the stock 175mm. Any recommendations?
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I thought you guys might be interested in knowing that a Transonic was ridden to the King of the Mountains jersey in this year's Vuelta. Definitely not something most people expect from an aero road bike.

https://instagram.com/p/7kwsCIxBzK/

I love to climb!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    I thought you guys might be interested in knowing that a Transonic was ridden to the King of the Mountains jersey in this year's Vuelta. Definitely not something most people expect from an aero road bike.

https://instagram.com/p/7kwsCIxBzK/
    The guy isn't even a climber, just got in the right breaks. Still, the bike climbs well, anyway.

I think they should change the kom competition. With the gps trackers already on the bikes, they could track who actually climbs each mountain fastest, rather than just giving the points to first one in the break each day. Would see who the real climber is that deserves the jersey.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle View Post
    The guy isn't even a climber, just got in the right breaks. Still, the bike climbs well, anyway.

I think they should change the kom competition. With the gps trackers already on the bikes, they could track who actually climbs each mountain fastest, rather than just giving the points to first one in the break each day. Would see who the real climber is that deserves the jersey.
    Omar Fraile is actually a pretty serious climber. This isn't his first KOM jersey, he also won the climber's jersey at the Tour of Basque Country:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Fraile

I am guessing he would probably describe himself as a GC guy/ all arounder, but he climbs well enough to legitimately be in the classification if you ask me.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle View Post

Also it's racing, so it's not just about who covers a certain section of road the fastest, it's about who reaches certain points first. Just like fastest lap doesn't win you the race in NASCAR or F1, fastest climb doesn't give you the mountains jersey in cycling. You have to get out and compete for the points that are available for finishing the climbs first and take the risks that come with beating the peloton there to prevail. It's the same deal for the sprinters and it requires effort and planning, otherwise the KOM jersey would always go the the GC leader.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Are you sure that he rode the Transonic on the mountain stages? I think he probably rode an Altamira or the new SL, but the team gave him a polka-dot Transonic for the last flat stage.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    Are you sure that he rode the Transonic on the mountain stages? I think he probably rode an Altamira or the new SL, but the team gave him a polka-dot Transonic for the latter flat stages while he still had the KOM.
    He rode the bike the entire race. You can watch the stages or highlights on YouTube if you like. This latest generation of aero bikes can really be raced all year. That's where they are taking things. Degenkolb actually won classics on his Propel and Kristoff races his Aeroroad all season and won almost everything he was in the mix for. They simply aren't one dimensional bikes any longer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    He rode the bike the entire race. You can watch the stages or highlights on YouTube if you like. This latest generation of aero bikes can really be raced all year. That's where they are taking things. Degenkolb actually won classics on his Propel and Kristoff races his Aeroroad all season and won almost everything he was in the mix for. They simply aren't one dimensional bikes any longer.
    I'm happy to hear that. I have the Transonic 2.3, and i love it. But I read some reviews that said it didn't climb very well, and I let that get into my head. Now i will try to convince myself that it's a great bike for climbing and stop making excuses.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I'm happy to hear that. I have the Transonic 2.3, and i love it. But I read some reviews that said it didn't climb very well, and I let that get into my head. Now i will try to convince myself that it's a great bike for climbing and stop making excuses.
    Lol, I tested a 2.7 awhile back and I liked it. I didn't get to do any heavy climbing that day but it performed fine on the rolling hills I was on. I can't say I felt like it was in any way inferior to the Giant Propel Advanced I tested around the same time. I guess some folks don't like the look much though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Lol, I tested a 2.7 awhile back and I liked it. I didn't get to do any heavy climbing that day but it performed fine on the rolling hills I was on. I can't say I felt like it was in any way inferior to the Giant Propel Advanced I tested around the same time. I guess some folks don't like the look much though.
    Omar Fraile and his Transonic doing their thing:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GaBLYWgXFao

There's alot of talk about Nibali's illegal pull and ejection in this clip, but Fraile took control of the Mountains Classification (which he never really relinquished) and won the Combativity Award on this stage. He has since moved on to MTN Qhubeka/Dimension Data where he will likely be riding a Cervelo alongside Cavendish and others.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just ordered mine, a 2015 Transonic 2.1. This is my first carbon road bike since my 1996 Trek 5200, first 11-spd drivetrain, first bike with a non-SRM computer and powermeter, first Fuji, and first with electronic shifting.

I wasn't planning on getting a new bike this soon (have until spring to get something roadworthy) but I saw the colors of the 2016 models and the 2015s were on sale...

I usually go many years between bike purchases so it's always interesting when I do get something new.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Squint View Post
    I just ordered mine, a 2015 Transonic 2.1. This is my first carbon road bike since my 1996 Trek 5200, first 11-spd drivetrain, first bike with a non-SRM computer and powermeter, first Fuji, and first with electronic shifting.

I wasn't planning on getting a new bike this soon (have until spring to get something roadworthy) but I saw the colors of the 2016 models and the 2015s were on sale...

I usually go many years between bike purchases so it's always interesting when I do get something new.
    Congratulations man.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's bicycle manufacturers who really should be congratulated.

When I first started riding, I was really into equipment and spent the majority of my discretionary income on gear (the timing was bad because I was a college student at the time). Later, my focus was on training which generally yields more performance benefits than equipment. My equipment purchases became less and less frequent. Scandium, vibration dampening, ceramic bearings, stiffness, carbon fiber...I never bought into those. Then Di2 came along and while I didn't rush out and buy it, I knew it would be on my next bike. The relatively recent aero trend in road bikes is what got me though since I was finally convinced that my round-tubed Ti bike put me at a disadvantage. That also means a new aero road helmet and aero clothing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    It's bicycle manufacturers who really should be congratulated.

When I first started riding, I was really into equipment and spent the majority of my discretionary income on gear (the timing was bad because I was a college student at the time). Later, my focus was on training which generally yields more performance benefits than equipment. My equipment purchases became less and less frequent. Scandium, vibration dampening, ceramic bearings, stiffness, carbon fiber...I never bought into those. Then Di2 came along and while I didn't rush out and buy it, I knew it would be on my next bike. The relatively recent aero trend in road bikes is what got me though since I was finally convinced that my round-tubed Ti bike put me at a disadvantage. That also means a new aero road helmet and aero clothing.
    I hear ya, but it's always nice to get a new bike in my book, regardless of how long you have to wait for technology that moves you, lol.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015
    Just ordered the 2015 1.3 on Tuesday and picked it up yesterday. Kept everything the same and will also try to remove those wheel decals (good idea)... Bike looks and feels very fast but will definitely test it out tonight. If you were on the Performance Bike website and saw that last size 58 disappear, that was all me, LOL...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I picked mine up yesterday. It came with a small scratch on the top of the seat tube close to where the seatpost inserts. It also came with 175 mm cranks on a size M frame. I was going to replace the BB and crank anyway with a powermeter (already purchased).

Anyway, the important thing is: has anyone filed the wheel retention tabs off the fork?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    More Omar Fraile and Fuji Transonic highlights. You will see him riding away from other climbers in some of these clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbbOAqiVccE

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Here's an interesting test /comparison between the Transonic and some other aero road bikes on the market, including the Cervelo S5, which is considered by many to be the most aero bike out there right now. Velonews seems to be focusing on aerodynamics and torsional stiffness in this test. When you combine this test with reviews by the likes of bikeradar, etc., it's pretty easy to see why the Transonic is considered to be a really great value.

Reviewed: Time Skylon aero road bike - VeloNews.com (click through the photos)

Here's some reviews (there are others out there, including a number for the 2.X series of Transonic bikes):

Fuji Transonic 1.3 review | Cyclingnews.com

First ride: Fuji Transonic 1.3 aero road bike | road.cc

Fuji Transonic 1.1 Di2 review - BikeRadar USA

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    The Transonic received a fairly middle of the road review from Velonews:

Reviewed: Fuji Transonic 1.3 aero road bike - VeloNews.com

What the Hell is going on
    Quote Originally Posted by JaeP View Post
    My bike is stock. Besides the stiff links on the tektro direct mount brakes (I have a 58cm Transonic 2.5) I see no reason to change out anything in the near future. The bike rides fine as is but I do prefer 180mm cranks instead of the stock 175mm. Any recommendations?
    Man, I am now getting the dreaded click-clicking from the bottom bracket.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

coaster
    Anyway, the important thing is: has anyone filed the wheel retention tabs off the fork?
    Of course!

coaster
    Did those "bad climbing" comments focus on the bike and wheel weight? Most of the builds come with kinda heavy wheels and the 2-series frames carry some extra carbon too. Remove a pound from the wheels and 2 more from the rest of the bike and it becomes a pretty good climber. While I coulda saved another 1.5 pounds with non-aero wheels and the Fuji SL frame and fork I decided 14.6lb was light enough and I wanted the aero qualities. This frame is laterally stiffer than any I've owned before (and the bike's 1.5lb lighter) so it's an excellent climber in my opinion.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123