$3.99 to $5.99 Tubes
    I-M-D bell curve of bikn'
    Nov 2005

$3.99 to $5.99 Tubes

Okay, lessons learned in life are that you get what you pay for. And for bike tubes it holds true. I usually stock tubes in the price range of $3.99 to $5.99 range. I am finding that they are very vulnerable in the stem areas for holding up. Anyone out there got any suggestions on a good tube to buy and stock without having to spend alot of money?

Because I would much rather use $$$ for clothing!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I'd guess there are only a handful of factories that make all the tubes in the world. I buy the cheapest I can for commuting, and Michelins for racing. Cheaper tubes are often heavier, which also means more durable. Usually the tire is the weak link anyway. I have no qualms with buying bulk $2 tubes.

RoadBikeReview Member

Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by filtersweep
    I'd guess there are only a handful of factories that make all the tubes in the world. I buy the cheapest I can for commuting, and Michelins for racing. Cheaper tubes are often heavier, which also means more durable. Usually the tire is the weak link anyway. I have no qualms with buying bulk $2 tubes.

I buy the cheapest tubes I can find, the house brand performance ones in bulk usually. I've never had one fail around the valve stem. Be a little more attentive when putting air in the tube and I bet you won't have as many problems.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

I buy them in bulk..

I usually wait until Performance has their house brand presta valve tubes on sale 10 for $20.00. If money is no option, I'd go with Michelin A-1's. I like the smooth valve stems.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Operator error?

Quote Originally Posted by msheron
    tubes in the price range of $3.99 to $5.99 range . . . are very vulnerable in the stem areas for holding up.
    A Michelin tube is around $6 (cheaper on sale) and they hold up very well for me. I pick them because I like the smooth stem. More expensive tubes than that are usually "something special," which means that they offer "marketing advantages" rather than actual performance improvements. If you have having stems pulling out of the tube, there is something wrong with how you are attaching or removing the pump head fromt he valve. Lots of people do just fine with $2 tubes, so you are buying much better tubes than that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

I'm not so sure about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    If you have having stems pulling out of the tube, there is something wrong with how you are attaching or removing the pump head fromt he valve. Lots of people do just fine with $2 tubes, so you are buying much better tubes than that.
    I had 2 valve stems separate from the tube this year. They were the first 2 in 25 years of regular riding. I accepted full responsibilty for the first one, but after the second one I stopped buying Paragon tubes. I haven't had any separate since.
    We have nothing to lube but our chains.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by rusa1586
    I had 2 valve stems separate from the tube this year. They were the first 2 in 25 years of regular riding. I accepted full responsibilty for the first one, but after the second one I stopped buying Paragon tubes. I haven't had any separate since.
    I took the OP as saying that they had general problems with $4 to $6 tubes, and I assumed that meant not just one brand or one shipment. I think you can find stories about any brand of tubes where valves, seams, etc. have been a problem on a "one-off" basis. E.g., I got a couple of Michelin tubes that split at the seam. Likewise, you can find bad brands, though this is not common. So, your experience is not a surprise and I didn't mean to imply that this problem was only due to operator error.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2002

Bad luck with cheap tubes

I have had at least half a dozen Performance brand tubes fail at the presta join area.The last one was sitting at a light!
    I prefer to use "good' tubes on my commuter. Nothing like having to fix a flat on the way in, or home.

I-M-D bell curve of bikn'
    Nov 2005

Tubes

Thanks guys.................