1 inch vs. 1 1/8 inch

Sep 2005

1 inch vs. 1 1/8 inch

I have a GT Power Series 3.0 frame that I want to build up. When I bought it, I didn't know that it is set up for a 1 and 1/8 headset. I am only familiar with the old 1 inch headsets/steerer tubes. My question is this; Is there a way to use a 1 inch threaded fork/ threaded headset/ and quill type stem on this frame. Please help so I don't start buying the wrong stuff. Thanks guys!

Cannot bench own weight
    I can't bet my life on it, but I'm pretty sure that 1 1/8 is going to be threadless only. It'll be stiffer, i'll give you that.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MrShadowWalker
    I have a GT Power Series 3.0 frame that I want to build up. When I bought it, I didn't know that it is set up for a 1 and 1/8 headset. I am only familiar with the old 1 inch headsets/steerer tubes. My question is this; Is there a way to use a 1 inch threaded fork/ threaded headset/ and quill type stem on this frame. Please help so I don't start buying the wrong stuff. Thanks guys!
    It's possible. I think it's Chris King that sells a headset that allows you to use a 1" fork with a 1 1/8" headtube but the headset will probably cost more than an inexpensive 1 1/8" fork..
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

Sep 2005
    Okay then, I guess I'll have to look for a threadless set. Oh well, this old dog's gonna have to learn a new trick. Thanks

Does it matter?

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...em_id=WB-HRED1

I saw this in their catalogue. I've never used it and don't know how well it works, but it looks like an "option".

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Okay then, I guess I'll have to look for a threadless set. Oh well, this old dog's gonna have to learn a new trick. Thanks
    check performancebike.com. They use to sell a threadless upgrade kit. It had a Forte fork, stem and headset for around $175.00
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    ... QBP makes shims to run traditional threaded 1" headsets in "traditiona;" 1 1/8" headtubes...

I've used both the shims and CK's devolution to run 1" steerers in 1 1/8" headtubes with no probs...