10th level of cool......

Sep 2003

10th level of cool......

Please help me fill in the blanks on the 10 levels of cool..
    10. Ultracool. You ride a Colnago built by the man himself as a personal favor for services rendered to God and Country. You wave to no one including Cippo riding past with Selma Hayek on his handlebars.
    7.Orange popsicle cool. You ride only steel and only custom built. None of your gear has anyones logo on it anywhere.
    4.Cool as the other side of the pillow. You ride a factory built rig, wear your favorite teams kit proudly, but color coordination is not part of your daily routine.
    1.Tap water cool. You ride a huffy with foam rubber grips and the handle bar turned upside down for comfort. Only 6 gears work, but thats OK, thats all you use. You wear tennis shorts from the 70s because you have not worn them out and they still have some good use to them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slow4now
    10. Ultracool. You ride a Colnago built by the man himself as a personal favor for services rendered to God and Country. You wave to no one including Cippo riding past with Selma Hayek on his handlebars.
    9. Supercool. Both Lance and Jan call YOU for training tips and to work on their new aero positions.
    8. Waycool. In a moment of absolute crystal clarity, you finally understand that it's not about the bike.
    7.Orange popsicle cool. You ride only steel and only custom built. None of your gear has anyones logo on it anywhere.
    4.Cool as the other side of the pillow. You ride a factory built rig, wear your favorite teams kit proudly, but color coordination is not part of your daily routine.
    1.Tap water cool. You ride a huffy with foam rubber grips and the handle bar turned upside down for comfort. Only 6 gears work, but thats OK, thats all you use. You wear tennis shorts from the 70s because you have not worn them out and they still have some good use to them.
    9. Supercool. Both Lance and Jan call YOU for training tips and to work on their new aero positions.
    8. Waycool. In a moment of absolute crystal clarity, you finally understand that it's not about the bike.

The Edge
    6. Licience plate says: SO FN EURO
    I'm a gravity missile. Clydesdales, represent!

Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by slow4now
    9.YOU DON'T OWN A CAR.
    8.you have only one bike and ride it on trails and pave
    6.you ride a sachs.
    5.you ride an anvil
    3.you ride with no lycra or jerseys. you feel comfortable on civilian clothes.
    2.you ride a serotta rebadges as huffy.
    how's that?
    www.flaviocolker.com.br
    i am in love w/a black woman.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    how's that?
    If you ride a Serotta re-badged as a Huffy, you're riding a 7-11 team bike. If you know the history of the bike, and you keep it original, I think you get much higher than the second level of cool.

--Shannon, who WILL own a 7-11 "Huffy" one day, in
    San Diego, CA

Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by tube_ee
    If you ride a Serotta re-badged as a Huffy, you're riding a 7-11 team bike. If you know the history of the bike, and you keep it original, I think you get much higher than the second level of cool.

--Shannon, who WILL own a 7-11 "Huffy" one day, in
    San Diego, CA
    hmmm.. agree. the list just drops too quick into style hell. serotta huffys should bein the ten most cool bike stances.
    www.flaviocolker.com.br
    i am in love w/a black woman.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    hmmm.. agree. the list just drops too quick into style hell. serotta huffys should bein the ten most cool bike stances.
    Methinks this list should be arranged so that the 1st level of cool is still cool. Recommendations from Style Man, Mountain Bike Action, Twenty-Six, or Road (the worst-edited publication I have EVER read, including this forum!) would get automatic reductions in coolness, such that they have to be really freakin' cool to be cool. Recommendations from Dirt Rag, Asphalt, Cycling Plus and the Rivendell Reader get bonus cool points. Stuff praised in Bicycle Guide is automatically cool.

My list of 10 cool bikes, in inexact order:

10. Green and Red 7-11 Mercx Corsa Extra, with full 8-speed DA group. Actual team bikes move WAY up the list, especially if ridden by Andy, Davis, or Steve.
    9. 1990 Reynolds 753 Peugeot Chorus. My first attack of bike lust. I will own one.
    8. Original Japanese steel bikes from the 7-speed era, if they're kept nice and ridden often.
    7. The Vitus 979
    6. Early 70's Raleigh Internationals
    5. Boatloads of good Italian stuff. Name the builder, they're all cool. Masive negative points for Asian beer-can "Masis" and that ilk.
    4. The Huffy and Murray Serottas that started this rant. I don't think these were sold to the public, so if you have one, it's a team bike. All 7-11 team bikes are cool. It's also one of the few situations where it's acceptable to ride in matching team kit. Of course, if by "riding in team kit" you mean reproduction (or original, but then I hate you) Molteni or Brooklyn stuff on a Molteni Orange Merckx, or a Gios Torino, well, move to the head of the line, 'cuz that's cool.
    3. The Ibis Scorcher
    2. Any Hetchins
    1. Any nice custom.
    0. We all know that the coolest bike of all is... The next one.

Peace and Grease,
    --Shannon