14x25 for recreational riding

Apr 2004

14x25 for recreational riding

I'm not sure if this belongs here but there doesn't seem to be a forum geared to recreational riding. Most tof the riding I'll be doing will be alone but what is not will be with my wife and/or 7 yr old son. We've gone out a couple times now and I have a small problem with the pace and cadence.

I was thinking of possibly replacing my 12x23 with a 14x25 but that only gives me one gear lower than I have now. I do get an 18 though which may be nice when riding alone. I was thinking that a semi custom 14x27(27 would replace the 18) might be a better option. It would give me 2 lower gears than I have now.

I'm not worried about loosing the 12 at all and the rarely ever use the 13. Only time I use it is when I'm alone and get an urge to see if I can cause myself to blow up lol. The riding alone is flat road(little town of Maricopa, Az) and the riding with my son is actually where they are building new housing developments. That riding is mostly hard packed dirt with some tractor tire marks, but some slightly softer dirt at times but nothing major.

I've thought of a triple but it's not like I'm climbing, just trying to go slow while keeping a nice cadence and I'm pretty sure it would cost more. I don't have a computer on my bike at the moment so I don't know what speed he rides at, I'm just at such a low cadence in the lowest gear it drives me nuts. For some reason I've never like a slow cadence even for tooling around.

Thanks,
    Brad

hi, I'm Larry

A 13 - 26 is a common combination

This still lets you use a short arm rear deraileur and a 53-39 on the front.

The web is a MUT
    Oct 2003

"Lemond Zurich"

Quote Originally Posted by fraDcat
    I was thinking of possibly replacing my 12x23 with a 14x25 but that only gives me one gear lower than I have now. I do get an 18 though which may be nice when riding alone. I was thinking that a semi custom 14x27(27 would replace the 18) might be a better option. It would give me 2 lower gears than I have now.
    Got your bike info from another post of yours, helps to know what you are working with.

I'm running a 12-25 cassette with 53/39 chainrings, and can go fairly slow and easy when in the 39x25 combo. You can go slightly bigger on the back or slightly smaller on the front if your rear deraileur can handle the chain slack/wrap. Mine is about maxed out with what I have, but I could probably squeeze in a 27 if needed. If I need lower than a 39x27 I'll just get out the mountain bike and ride that instead, in its lowest gear I can spin like crazy and still go slow.

Why not just get a used commuter bike at a rummage sale or thrift shop with lower gearing and wider tires on it for the family rides? If you convert your Zurich to a triple you have to change out the deraileur most likely. But if you do change out your rear deraileur you could keep the current chainrings and probably go as large as a 30tooth or bigger on the rear with no problem.

A couple of good info links:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gearing/index.html
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html
    <<a sig line goes here>>

Feb 2004

or 13-27, or 13-30

I always customize my 12-27 cassettes into 13-27. Remove the 12 and 13, add a 1st position 13 and a 16. Personally, I don't know why Shimano makes the 12-27 - it seems to me that the racers won't need the 27 and the recreational riders won't need the 12. A 13-27 makes more sense (and Campy seems to agree, with their 13-26 and 13-29 cassettes). If you want to go even lower, you can go to a 13-30 - see the "Century Special" here: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/k7.html#9cassettes. He claims it even works with short cage derailleurs.