RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2019

2005 TREK Madone 5.2 OCLV Carbon 120 or 2013 Trek Alpha 1.2

I am currently helping my brother purchase a second hand bike to begin training for a charity ride coming up in a few months. I have found three bikes i feel would be a good fit for him but wanted more experienced riders to chime in for some input. The bikes are listed below with the information i have on them.

1. 2005 TREK Madone 5.2 OCLV Carbon 120
    Additional Details: BONTRAGER wheels with Bontrager 700 X 23 Race Lite Hard Case Triple Puncture Proof Tire, All SHIMANO gears and brakes
    Price: $450-$500

2. 2013 Trek Alpha 1.2
    Additional Details:
    Comes with all items listed: headlight, phone holder, helmet, tail light, bag on back with cartridge pump, all very new and in excellent shape. Shoes and cleats used once. Size 11.5. Seat was over $200 worn but very good for long rides! Trek air pump. I also have a trek Jersey a red jersey (xl) and two pairs of riding shorts (excellent shape, used a few times) size is Large. Selling everything as a package. No low ball offers. It’s a good way to get everything at once for a great price. I’m 6’1 205 lbs. Very lightweight bike. Carbon fork (note, sizes for everything are the right size for my brother)
    Price: $520

3. 2014 Specialized Allez
    Additional Details:
    Bike comes with profile design handles, shimano gear system and a speedometer
    Price $450

Again, all input is appreciated. Thank you for helping me with my first post to date.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Ok, I'll bite since no one else has yet.

How on earth do you expect anyone here to answer your question when they can't see the bikes you're talking about and we have no idea how big your brother is? Or what his proportions are? I will say one thing...there is no way in hell I'd ever wear anyone's old shorts.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Why are you giving your weight and height if you are buying this bike for your brother?

I hate to sound like a broker record, but IF you know little to nothing about purchasing a bicycle, why not take it to a local bike shop (before you buy it rather than after you buy it) and have them do the work for you? Why buy a bike that (possibly) has a bad frame, worn components, wrong size, or stolen.... ?

Rub it............
    Take your brother to your LBS. Have them size and fit him on a bike. And he can get a good entry level road bike for about $700-800 bucks and not have to worry about frame damage, component condition - if it needs a new chain, cassette and cables, that will cost around $125 or more - tire condition, etc. By the time new parts are needed, he can be at the cost of a brand new bike.

And I'll second cxwrench, NO WAY IN HELL WOULD I WEAR USED SHORTS.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2019
    Gents, the size of the person listed is from the seller, not me nor my brother.

Also, i simply posted their information, my brother will not be buying the shorts. Actually the deal is for no clothing but everything else for $450. (alpha bike)

I was merely asking for a comparison on the bikes, which is my fault for not being so specific to that point. I am unfamiliar with the madone and was more curious how it lined up against the other two which i am familiar with as i ride a 1.5 and my other brother rides a allez.

Point taken, be more specific and make sure people understand I'm not an underwear sniffer...got it

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ngl View Post
    Why are you giving your weight and height if you are buying this bike for your brother?
    . ?
    Sounds like the classic , "i'm asking for a friend"

RoadBikeReview Member
    1st and foremost, I will say that getting the correct size frame and proper fit is more important than any perks or deals you cut with the seller.

Has your brother test ridden any of these bikes to see how they feel? If so, which ones did he like the feel and ride of?

Remember, a great deal isn't a great deal if you end up not enjoying the bike.

What is your brother's height and weight? What size frame do each of these bikes have?

I agree with others here to take the one you're planning on buying to a reputable bike shop, have them go over it with a fine-tooth comb for damage. And once you purchase the bike, have them give your brother a fitting.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    i rode a trek almost identical to the one you mentioned. i still own it but rarely use it these days. liked it at the time but it doesn't feel as good as my newer bike the c-59. don't believe the 2005 trek would feel that much different than my trek 5200 from 2001.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    i rode a trek almost identical to the one you mentioned. i still own it but rarely use it these days. liked it at the time but it doesn't feel as good as my newer bike the c-59. don't believe the 2005 trek would feel that much different than my trek 5200 from 2001.
    Probably not. I have a 2007 Trek Pilot OCLV bike and it feels flexy compared to my newer carbon road bike.

As I've said before, one really should test ride all the bikes before making a judgment.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein