2006 Caad8 price
    Fragsinvegas
    Apr 2020

2006 Caad8 price

I have my eye on an 06 Caad8 with 105/Ultegra setup; stock shimano rims...58 cm frame, I'm 5'11" with 32" inseam, so I think the fit will be fine. Looks to be in great shape. What is a reasonable price to pay?

Thanks in advance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fragsinvegas View Post
    I have my eye on an 06 Caad8 with 105/Ultegra setup; stock shimano rims...58 cm frame, I'm 5'11" with 32" inseam, so I think the fit will be fine. Looks to be in great shape. What is a reasonable price to pay?

Thanks in advance.
    Have you or will you see it in person? The age of the frame shouldnít be a big deal if it has been handled and stored properly. I can say, the geometry is really nice to ride, very forgiving, smooth and certain. Thatís a fine group on it. I think the price depends a lot on the condition.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Condition is all important for any age bike but even more so for a 14 year old bike.

I will suggest that the 58 cm may in fact be a little large for you. i'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam and I ride 54-56 cm bikes. I would strongly recommend a test ride before making any commitment.

Fragsinvegas
    Apr 2020
    Thanks! So, I'm basing it off of pictures and description. Would getting it for under $250 be reasonable? I know it retailed for 1500 or more when it was new.

Fragsinvegas
    Apr 2020
    Thanks for your reply. I'm basing it off of pictures and description. I will not be able to test ride it...but it's for a charity auction. Even if I use the parts for a different build, I should get something out of it. Would getting it for under $250 be a good deal?

Curmudgeon
    Maybe do some research in the Bicycle Blue book.
    https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIF View Post
    Maybe do some research in the Bicycle Blue book.
    https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/
    Thatís a great resource. But at that age itís all about condition. If the OP has no issue taking a match to $250.00 if itís been a backyard shed a decade then itís a good buy. If everything is in great shape, then thatís a fair price for sure. Big if though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member

Thanks in advance.
    Frames that don't fit are never reasonable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    If you have long arms & legs, it would barely fit, if you're nice an flexible. I'm about the same with short A/L & ride a 57.5, but I could not ride a larger bike.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hey, 58 cm might be just fine.

I'm 5'8" and fit 54 cm frames. The first real road bike I bought was a 56 cm frame. Not knowing any better, I loved it. The handlebars were just where I wanted them.

Set the saddle to inseam and then notice the handlebars are up higher and the steering axis is a cm or two further forward. Most riders enjoy higher bars and longer reach, finding it comfortable and the bike handles predictably and holds its line over rough tarmac. Longer top tubes are the latest rage in "Road Bike Action" mag, shorter stems too, thanks to gravel bikes.

Someone 5'11" would ideally fit a 56 cm frame, where he could "slam" the stem and lean lower. That's it.

A 54 cm DeRosa is my perfect fit, all day long. It has a 55 cm top tube for a bit more room to stretch out, flatten the back, achieve 40/60% weight distribution, with bars 2 inches lower than the saddle. It's considerably more comfortable in centuries than my commuter which has a 54 cm top tube, and long 13 cm stem to compensate, which puts hands over the front wheel and upper body weight a bit too far forward. Long 43 cm chain stays make balance even worse, so I have to scoot back on the saddle on fast descents to prevent dreaded front wheel wobble.

Saddle height and setback could be fine tuned to fit your inseam on a "one size too big" frame, no problem. Someone 5'11" would have the widest range of fit options on a 56 cm frame, most comfortable for all day rides, and maybe race crits on a 54 cm frame, "one size too small" to be aggressively slammed down on lower bars.

The Eddy fit, bars dropped only 2", long top tube, are coming back into fashion, thanks to gravel bikes. Eddy dominated hands down with that fit. What goes around comes around!

You could sell the bike for the same price if you find the reach is too long.

Banned Sock Puppet
    58 cm frame, I'm 5'11" with 32" inseam
    That frame is too big for you. I'm the same dimensions and take a 56cm.

Not a good idea to buy the wrong size bike and try to make it fit. Considering the geometry of that bike, there's even a chance you won't be able to get the saddle low enough.
    "If someone needs 200 rolls of toilet paper for a 14-day quarantine, they probably should have made a doctor's appointment way before the COVID-19 outbreak." -- Unknown

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2014
    CAAD8 58cm has a 33" standover... ouch. Previous posters were right, get a 56.

See->https://geometrygeeks.bike/bike/cannondale-caad8-2012/