2006 Charity Bike Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BrooklynVelo

2006 Charity Bike Thread

Ok boys and girls, this year weíre gonna try something new and really exciting. From all of the interest that was noticed from my first thread on the 2006 bike a few things have changed from previous years. Donít worry all the money is still going to charity, and a very good one at that. The concept for this year is part custom/part retro. The charity that will be receiving all proceeds of the raffle (yes I said raffle not auction, give me a min and Iíll explain) is the Young Survival Coalition. Fellow RBRíer team_sheepshead is responsible for organizing Young Survival Coalitionís Tour de Pink charity ride. He will be collaborating on this project. The reason that we will be doing a raffle format this year rather than a straight auction is that the winner will be receiving a fully custom frame from Mike Zanconato at Zanconato Custom Cycles (https://www.zanconato.com). Mike has been gracious enough to offer up his amazing skills as a frame-builder and will be donating the frameset. The winner will consult with Mike once the raffle is completed.

From the previous interest and considering Mikeís skill with building classically styled frames Iím hoping to outfit this bad boy with DA 8 and a nice selection of modern and retro parts. So let me know what youíve got. At this point in the process Iím receiving all offers for donations at [email protected]. Once I have a build kit all picked out Iíll notify everyone with where to ship their items. If anyone wants to get involved but doesnít have any actual items to donate please let me know, Iím sure we can find something.

The Young Survival Coalition, a registered 501c3, is the only international nonprofit dedicated solely to helping women 40 and under and their families affected by breast cancer. Young Survival was recently named one of the most efficient breast cancer charities in the U.S. by Charity Navigator. (https://www.youngsurvival.org)

Some examples of Mikes work:

Damn the Man, Save the Empire
    Brooklyn Velo Force

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment

That is one fine frame builder you got there.

How do I buy a raffle ticket?
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

Jan 2005
    Sounds great. Just let us know when you start selling tickets.

BrooklynVelo
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    How do I buy a raffle ticket?
    We're figuring out exactly which raffle-service to use. It's looking like they'll be available from BikeReg. I'll post a link once the raffle's started.
    Brooklyn Velo Force

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Let me know what you need for 8 speed DA parts. I'll donate anything I can. I've got a ton of parts....and to anyone that reads this, no they are not for sale....
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    As a volunteer for the Young Survival Coalition, I want to thank daneil, the folks at RBR and Mike Zanconato for helping out with this. daneil and I were thinking of waiting until he had more parts accounted for before starting the raffle, so ticket buyers can read what they are getting.

Thank you again.
    Riding to break the cycle of breast cancer in the Young Survival Coalition Tour de Pink--3 days, 200 miles.
    www.ysctourdepink.org

Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
    I'm in for at least one raffle ticket.

I don't have any parts that are going to be worthwhile, I'm afraid. But if there's something that needs to be bought and donated, I'm open.
    "jazz gives you large testicles"--aliensporebomb

RoadBikeReview Member
    daneil, thank you for getting the thread going. I am very excited about this project and contributing to the fund-raising effort.

Here are a few more pictures to entice everyone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

BrooklynVelo
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    daneil, thank you for getting the thread going. I am very excited about this project and contributing to the fund-raising effort.

Here are a few more pictures to entice everyone.
    Now that's what I'm talking about. Thanks Mike, those lugs look beautiful.

-Dan
    Brooklyn Velo Force

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    And those paint jobs are by Toby Stanton at Hot Tubes, who shares space with Zank.
    Riding to break the cycle of breast cancer in the Young Survival Coalition Tour de Pink--3 days, 200 miles.
    www.ysctourdepink.org

i like whiskey
    I think all three of those frames are disgusting atrocities. Where's all the fancy carbon tubes and stays? I will gladly dispose of them so no one has to look at them again. The first two appear to be about a 64x60, so only a 6'5" freak could ride them. PM me and I'll give you my address. I'll even pay for shipping, because I'm such a nice guy.
    drool

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Here is what I'll donate so far..

Rear Derailleur- Dura Ace 25th Anniversary 9 speed rear derailleur- it will work with either 8 or 9 speed. It's used but in excellent shape...
    Front Derailleur- Dura Ace 7700
    Wheels- Dura Ace 7700 hubs laced to black Open Pro- Built by Wheelsmith

If you want to go with downtube shifters, I have 9 speed Dura Ace shifters I'll donate was well.....
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

BrooklynVelo
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hickey
    Here is what I'll donate so far..

Rear Derailleur- Dura Ace 25th Anniversary 9 speed rear derailleur- it will work with either 8 or 9 speed. It's used but in excellent shape...
    Front Derailleur- Dura Ace 7700
    Wheels- Dura Ace 7700 hubs laced to black Open Pro- Built by Wheelsmith

If you want to go with downtube shifters, I have 9 speed Dura Ace shifters I'll donate was well.....
    That's great Dave. I'll let you know what we need once I have a bigger list.
    Brooklyn Velo Force

go up
    What parts are left to gather? I have a few things I am about to post for sale. . .
    deadlegs

I've breathed the mountain air, man. (J. Cash)

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

Adrenalina Italiana
    Man,I love those frames.All sorts of beautiful detail.I like the fastback seatstays and the detail on the fork tips although I prefer the "S" shaped Onda forks but I'm just sayin'. I'll buy a ticket once available.
    " the odds are good, the goods are even odder."

BrooklynVelo
    Quote Originally Posted by deadlegs
    What parts are left to gather? I have a few things I am about to post for sale. . .
    What do you have is the more operative question at this point. Shoot me an email [email protected]
    Brooklyn Velo Force

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    Outstanding! I don't have any parts pretty enough for a Zanconato but I'll definitely be buying a raffle ticket (or 10, maybe 20, the more I look at the pics the more tickets I want to buy).
    Thanks for putting this all together daneil.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My donation

Will look nice! 90, 105 or 120mm option.
    Syntace will be reducing my cost beacuse the item is for Charity!!
    Last edited by DIRT BOY; 10-27-2006 at 12:09 PM.
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

BrooklynVelo
    Quote Originally Posted by deadlegs
    OK still looking for shifters, cranks, BB, headset, seatpost, saddle options and incidentals.

Anyone that's either e-mailed me or posted here I have you on record. I'll send followups once the list is finalized. thanks again everyone... Things are looking great. We're going to have one heck of a build here.

Mods can I get a sticky here?
    Brooklyn Velo Force

RoadBikeReview Member
    Let me see if FSA can sell my chrome Gossamer rcranks.....
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

RoadBikeReview Member
    Saddle? This bike will need a BROOKS! Anyone??

I will be a few tickets! Man that silver frame is sweet and I am not into reto frames that much.
    DIRT BOY

BrooklynVelo
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY
    Saddle? This bike will need a BROOKS! Anyone??

I will be a few tickets! Man that silver frame is sweet and I am not into reto frames that much.

Now I like the way this man thinks!

Anybody have a Swift or Swallow around?

Brooklyn Velo Force

Cross Bike Collector.....

where do I buy a raffle ticket?

I could use a Zank Crosser.......
    Have compassion for your fellow man

Adrenalina Italiana
    I have a straightup(non set back) silver Thomson Elite 27.2 - 330 that I would gladly donate.
    Last edited by SPINDAWG; 10-27-2006 at 04:21 PM.
    " the odds are good, the goods are even odder."

Just Riding Along

Crank Set and Bottom Bracket

I offer my DA double crank (175mm, 53/39) with DA bottom bracket, both square taper. It should be perfect for a semi-retro 8/9 sp. Obviously used, but in good condition for their age.

I also have a set of handlebars which I'm happy to offer; they're only 40 cm. though, and anatomic bend.
    Bikes are like bottles of beer; as soon as you get one, you want another.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast