2013 allez elite vs 2014 Allez Sport compact
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014

2013 allez elite vs 2014 Allez Sport compact

I am looking for some assistance, I recently went looking for my first road bike for under $1000. I went to look at the new Allez sport compact, as I was looking around, the owner stated he had a 2013 Allez elite at the same price. It might seem like a ridiculous question, but is the tiagra better than the sora. Any suggestions, the cycle shop will do fitting.

Bikes, Guns & Metal...
    Tiagra is a little better than Sora.
    Usually the LBS will do minor adjustments to saddle and handlebars for free but a professional bike fit is a little more expensive and you'll have to pay for it; they have different levels of bike fits.
    I would buy the 2013 Elite.
    I have a 2010 Allez Sport Compact and I love it, right now I am upgrading the Sora for a Shimano 105 groupset.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Tiagra (4600) in 2013 is a 10-speed drivetrain.... which many say is nearly as good as the 105-5600 groupset (I do have a 105-5600 bike and a Tiagra-4600 bike)

The Sora did get bumped up to 9-speed with better shifters.

but... imo, I'd spend the money on the 2013, provided that the frame size is appropriate for you
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite with the RBR not-approved Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded to SRAM X9 with 1x10 and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless.
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra with 9-speed SLX RD to run 11-32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    and
    Some Burton snowboard setups, one with stiff ol' Camber and one with Rocker-Camber-Rocker

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    I think the 2013 is a 10 speed and the 2014 is an 11 speed.
    I have a 2013 secteur elite (same drive train as the allez) and it works very well, I did change the cassette after awhile, I felt the spacing that came with it was a bit too wide and a couple shifts felt like i was missing a gear...
    the fit you are going to get for free with the bike is just basic seat height, a proper fit will cost you...
    the difference between the bikes is something you have to decide for yourself..
    ride them both and then decide which fits better for you, the slighly upgraded drive train or the extra gear.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by obed View Post
    I think the 2013 is a 10 speed and the 2014 is an 11 speed.
    the 2014 11-speed costs $2400 MSRP (Expert).
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite with the RBR not-approved Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded to SRAM X9 with 1x10 and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless.
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra with 9-speed SLX RD to run 11-32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    and
    Some Burton snowboard setups, one with stiff ol' Camber and one with Rocker-Camber-Rocker

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    the 2014 11-speed costs $2400 MSRP (Expert).
    You are correct. I was wrong. So what he is looking at for the same money is a 9 speed vs a 10 speed upgraded component package...
    that being the case i would go with the 13 elite...

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    You are correct. I was wrong. So what he is looking at for the same money is a 9 speed vs a 10 speed upgraded component package...
    Shawnee did specify the 2 models, components & price

Quote Originally Posted by shawnee View Post
    I am looking for some assistance, I recently went looking for my first road bike for under $1000. I went to look at the new Allez sport compact, as I was looking around, the owner stated he had a 2013 Allez elite at the same price. It might seem like a ridiculous question, but is the tiagra better than the sora. Any suggestions, the cycle shop will do fitting.
    and

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    Shawnee did specify the 2 models, components & price
    Yes he did and i am damn proud of you for pointing that out.
    Now armed with the knowledge of your correctness, you can take that knowledge and $5 and get yourself a cup of coffee at starbucks.
    Where i made my dumbass mistake is that I recently purchased a 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, it came with 11 speed components.. I also test rode several other brands comparable models and they all also had 11 speed components... without further checking I had mistakenly thought that all the 14 models had 11 speeds..so an old newbie messed up...I will give myself the lashes you are not here to administer...
    hope that makes you feel better.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Yes he did and i am damn proud of you for pointing that out.
    Now armed with the knowledge of your correctness, you can take that knowledge and $5 and get yourself a cup of coffee at starbucks.
    Where i made my dumbass mistake is that I recently purchased a 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, it came with 11 speed components.. I also test rode several other brands comparable models and they all also had 11 speed components... without further checking I had mistakenly thought that all the 14 models had 11 speeds..so an old newbie messed up...I will give myself the lashes you are not here to administer...
    hope that makes you feel better.
    That's 2 cups of coffee at starbucks with change leftover. I usually drink their drip coffee, and very seldomly go for their latte's
    and

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Shawnee, sorry that Tednugent and I have hijacked your thread.
    While we are busy having fun with each other, keep in mind that we both suggested the same bike in the end.
    Ted, the problem with Starbucks for me is that they put too damn much water in their coffee. As to your namesake, hated his music, kind of fond of his politics.

Moderatus Puisne
    Too much water?

Do you know that Starbucks uses about twice as many coffee beans per ounce of water than your average shop?

It makes it stronger, and, also, much more caffeinated...

How Much Caffeine Is Actually in Your Coffee, From Dunkin' to Starbucks | Thrillist

Shawnee, sorry that Tednugent and I have hijacked your thread.
    While we are busy having fun with each other, keep in mind that we both suggested the same bike in the end.
    Ted, the problem with Starbucks for me is that they put too damn much water in their coffee. As to your namesake, hated his music, kind of fond of his politics.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    I have 2013 Tiagra. Properly adjusted and cared for I think it works fine. I'm sure I would appreciate higher end components, but I don't have them today, and you're not asking about them. I'd go with 2013 bike.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Argentius View Post
    Too much water?

Do you know that Starbucks uses about twice as many coffee beans per ounce of water than your average shop?

It makes it stronger, and, also, much more caffeinated...

How Much Caffeine Is Actually in Your Coffee, From Dunkin' to Starbucks | Thrillist
    Not to mention, less of the bitter oils gets extracted, so you get good flavored coffee.

If it's too strong... then you dilute the coffee afterwards, for reason just stated.

Dunkin Donuts Coffee... actually, their dark roast isn't that bad. But their regular coffee requires a turbo shot, then it exceeds the price of Starbucks....

I normally drink coffee black, no sugar. Regular DD coffee isn't that good to drink black. Starbucks is fine (except French roast... too burnt tasting)
    and

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Hands down take the 2013 if it gets you the 2x10 setup, but bear in mind the moment you even remotely think you want to upgrade the drivetrain to anything nicer you will be losing money unless you just get a smoking deal on 105 and put it on yourself.

I went down that road with my first bike a Giant Defy 3, sold it 4 months after I bought it to get a TCR Composite 1 which now 2 years later I just swapped the frame over to turn the bike into a Propel 1.

It gets addictive quick.

δanned
    My first road bike was a 2003 Specialized Allez Elite, and back then it was really good. Of course, back then $1000 bought you a bike with a full 105 groupset. At any rate, I'd still go with the Elite over the sport if I were you. This time of year is great because the previous year models are discounted, so you can get more bike for the same money as a step-down 2014.

2014 Cannondale SS EVO
    Neither. Try to haggle price down on a 105 package. The Sora is low end. Tiagra is OK, but the 105 5700 series is far better and more reliable. Like many of new to cycling, we tend to want to upgrade very soon and biking can be addicting. Allez is a sweet bike, if at all possible spend a little extra for the 105. Well worth it.

A guy i ride with bought the Allez with Sora. Rode it a few months. His son in law bought an Allez with 105. Out of curiosity, he rode the 105....he put his bike up on craigslist the next day. Sold it in a week (took a $110 loss) and bought the Allez with 105. He said he didnt realize how poor the Sora felt compared to 105. But if price is the dealbreaker...definetly go Tiagra. Sora..is very low end.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    I had purchased a stock 2014 Allez with Shimano 2400 Claris 3 months ago. My first road bike. I'm happy with the purchase, and I'll be using this bike on my first Century ride next month!