2013 Tarmac Pro f/s vs. 2014 Pro f/s vs 2014 Comp Ultegra?
    RoadBikeReview Member

Which one?

Crappy title, sorry. Hope I get more views here than in the dedicated Specialized forum. Long story short, crashed my 2012 SL4 Pro with Sram Red. Specialized has ok'd the following crash replacements:

2014 SL4 Pro frameset
    2014 SL4 Comp Ultegra (complete bike)
    2013 SL4 Pro frameset

Specialized also offered a 2013 S-Works, but I simply can't afford it and after ruining my Pro, the cost ratio doesn't work for me. So, between the 3 options listed above, which would you go with and why?
    Last edited by surfinguru; 05-19-2014 at 01:46 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    I think you have several solid options, but without more information I do not think anyone can truly give you a perfect answer.

Are you going to be allowed to keep the SRAM Red components, if yes, are they operational or were they destroyed in the crash? If they were damaged beyond repair or functionality then I think that a new clean complete bike would be the best option. If you can keep the components and maybe a derailleur was destroyed it may be worth getting the frame and putting the Red components on it. That goes for wheels and seats as well. If they are trashed, get a complete bike.

The other thing I would consider is the geometry of each available bike. Assuming you can keep your Red components and have decided to get a frameset instead look at the differences in their geometry and see if they are similar or the same as your 2012 SL4.

I am not a bike expert and this is not likely to be what you wanted to hear, but I think it is a sensible approach to the question at hand and hopefully it can help you get back out on the road. It really is a give and take process. Sorry to hear about your crash. Best of luck mate.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If I pick a 2014 model, Spesh says frame has to go back. 2013 is straight discount, no return of the crashed frame. Current drivetrain is Sram Red w/Praxis rings and hoops are carbon clinchers. Rear derailleur is bent and needs to be replaced.

Everything else is in good shape, thus the delima. Straight up just move everything over and be done with it with the frame only option, or get the complete Comp (which is a step down in frame materials, 9r for Comp vs. 10r for Pro) and try and sell off the Ultegra grouppo and stock wheels AND deal with sending the frame back. That reduces cash out of pocket but my time is money too. FWIW, I'm leaning towards the 2013 Pro Frame in blk/red/wht.

Way less hassle going with the frameset, but I'm wondering if there's any noticeable difference between the 9r and 10r frames in how they ride. According to the geo charts, the numbers are identical.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    I would go for the frame that has the nicest colour scheme.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    I fully back your hunch to go with the 2013. I think that it will be the best money and ride decision. You will have to buy the new derailleur, but it will allow you to ride a similar frame with similar components, possibly hang on to the damaged frame as a trophy or wait until the time is right and try to make a repair if possible.

Closing my two cents, I would go with what makes the most sense in terms of ride quality and what won't break the bank. Best of luck in your decision. I hope I helped a little.