2018 Cycling Statistics
    RoadBikeReview Member

2018 Cycling Statistics

Most of us have completed our riding for the year so I thought I'd start this thread. I keep detailed stats on many things and enjoy poring over the data. I also enjoy seeing what others post.

Thanks to work letting us out two hours early today, I was able to squeeze in a final ride that put me at a record total of yearly miles of 6,791.56 - nine miles more than my previous record from two years ago. I got home 8 minutes past sunset today but it was a great feeling to set the record. I will make some observations after listing the figures.

Without further ado, here are the stats:
    Total rides: 145
    Total miles: 6,791.56 (record)
    Total hours riding: 378.38 (record)
    Overall average speed: 17.95 MPH
    Fastest average speed on a ride: 20.63 MPH (solo 41.36 miles long)
    Max speed: 54.86 MPH
    Feet climbed: 328,985 (record)
    Overall feet per mile ridden: 48.44
    Average miles per ride: 46.84
    Longest ride (solo): 92.19 miles (record)
    Average temperature: 57.61 degrees Fahrenheit
    Coldest ride: 20 degrees Fahrenheit
    Total sub-freezing rides: 10
    Hottest ride: 92 degrees Fahrenheit
    Total rain rides: 2
    Average weight: 154.1 pounds (lowest on record)

I only had two rides this year in which I averaged over 20 MPH although one of them was my 8th fastest ever. I usually have quite a few more than this. My overall average speed was the lowest on record. Part of this is seeking hills wherever possible and tending to go for longer rides but I do fear that age could be starting to be a factor. It will be interesting to see what 2019 brings in this regard.

I am pleased to have had relatively good health all year. I only had a bit of right knee pain when I switched to new cleats but it went away after four rides and I didn't miss any. Cycling keeps me healthy in mind and body. I can pretty much eat whatever I want without gaining weight.

Snapshot of my Excel totals:
    2018 Cycling Statistics-2018stats.jpg
    2018 Motobecane Immortal Pro
    2012 Motobecane Le Champion Team Titanium
    2002 Jamis Eclipse
    2000 Specialized Allez Elite (mostly a retired bike now)

your god hates me
    The only stat I track is (actual) mileage. Although I suppose I could fairly easily glean how many rides i did based on the number of entries on my mileage spreadsheet.

I got 6,908 miles for the year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    When I was younger, I used to keep detailed stats. Today I settle for a heartbeat and respirations.

RoadBikeReview Member
    160 rides for 5772.33 miles.

Fewer than I wanted, but overall a good cycling year.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just checked mine, pretty cool but wish I had time for more miles.
    4800 miles
    260,000 feet of elevation...Seems way high
    165 rides
    298 hours
    Longest ride - 122 miles / 11k feet
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    My goals shifted in 2018. I care less about mileage and more about climbing. Wound up doing 200 miles less than last year 6200 but surpassed my elevation of the previous year climbing 470,000 feet. I don't count my commuter miles on the bike which would probably add about 1500 miles more or less but are totally mundane and basically two plus miles in each direction to and from work.

Having done a 150 mile ride three years ago I've decided that this much distance is simply not fun as I don't enjoy finishing late in the day and those long rides require cutting back on elevation but I did manage a quite fun 120 mile ride back in July.

What the stats don't show is some fun rides in Girona doing Mare de Deu del Mont for the first time, Levi's Grand Fondo, Hincapie Grand Fondo, Gallibier, Telegraphe, Colombiere , Madeleine and some climbs I've done before.
    I've seen friends get caught up in stats, doing the same road dozens of times during the day to rack up miles, etc. I try to rack up experiences and enjoy fun routes.

your god hates me
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    Longest ride - 122 miles / 11k feet
    Was that by any chance the Triple Bypass in Colorado? Pretty sure those are the exact metrics of that ride...which was definitely my longest ride of 2018 too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    Was that by any chance the Triple Bypass in Colorado? Pretty sure those are the exact metrics of that ride...which was definitely my longest ride of 2018 too.
    I wish, always heard that was a great ride. This was in little ole SC into NC and back but 75% of the elevation had to be in NC, maybe more.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    My goals shifted in 2018. I care less about mileage and more about climbing. Wound up doing 200 miles less than last year 6200 but surpassed my elevation of the previous year climbing 470,000 feet. I don't count my commuter miles on the bike which would probably add about 1500 miles more or less but are totally mundane and basically two plus miles in each direction to and from work.

Having done a 150 mile ride three years ago I've decided that this much distance is simply not fun as I don't enjoy finishing late in the day and those long rides require cutting back on elevation but I did manage a quite fun 120 mile ride back in July.

What the stats don't show is some fun rides in Girona doing Mare de Deu del Mont for the first time, Levi's Grand Fondo, Hincapie Grand Fondo, Gallibier, Telegraphe, Colombiere , Madeleine and some climbs I've done before.
    I've seen friends get caught up in stats, doing the same road dozens of times during the day to rack up miles, etc. I try to rack up experiences and enjoy fun routes.

I agree about not getting too caught up in the stats. I ride hillier routes now because I enjoy that type of riding. I'd rather have a higher feet per mile total than average speed. I try to vary my routes as much as possible. I also travel to better riding locations a few times per year.
    2018 Motobecane Immortal Pro
    2012 Motobecane Le Champion Team Titanium
    2002 Jamis Eclipse
    2000 Specialized Allez Elite (mostly a retired bike now)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    5476 miles with 300,945ft during 157 rides in 375 hours. Longest ride was the TofTucson, 104.1 m.

I've been kinda tired and there is snow on the ground... anyway it's white.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had a weak year for mileage compared to previous years due to missing almost 2 months of riding for health related reasons, digging out of the hole from that still.

Mileage 6370
    Hours 350
    Rides 246
    longest ride 206
    Only noteworthy accomplishment was I finished DK200 for the third time in a row, 9th in age group (over the hill bracket).
    Last edited by Srode; 01-01-2019 at 01:04 PM.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Total rides: 96
    Total miles: 4955.1
    Total hours riding: 369:36

The Beta Blockers & ACE inhibitors my MD put me on for my A-fib mid year, really slowed me down and took off about 10 miles per ride. I can look at my records and see the day I started taking them. Over 1,000 miles less than last year.
    Last edited by walrus; 01-01-2019 at 09:45 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    456km
    that's metric: kilometers...
    and of course that not horizontal distance
    but vertical ascent.

Slowski
    283 rides.
    250.11 hours riding time.
    4179.9 miles.
    266,663 ft climbed.
    Largest single climb: 1,337 ft.
    Most climbing in a single ride: 7,113 ft.
    Longest solo ride: 95.4 miles (was actually longer but my Bolt died).
    Fastest average speed for a ride: 26.5 mph (Nutmeg Games Crit).
    Highest VAM: 976 (Cat 4 climb).

RoadBikeReview Member
    9,313 miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    6787 Miles

345,462 Vert ft

268 Rides

RoadBikeReview Member
    Distance: 5,037.1 mi (~4300 outdoors, rest on zwift - new england weather).
    Time: 274h 10m
    Elev Gain: 275,932 ft
    Rides: 167 (155 active days so must mean a few with multiple recorded rides)
    Avg spd: 18.3mph
    Max spd: 51.9

Longest ride: 125mi (7753ft climbing, cramps starting at mile 90 dropped average to 18.5).
    Most climbing: 9281ft (over 96 miles).
    Largest Single climb: 2704ft
    Highest VAM: 1079 (2.1 mile @ 12% average cat 4)

About 200 miles less than last year but we had a really crappy spring this year which really messed with the start of the season.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    "Largest Single climb: 2704ft"

Where was that out of curiosity?

I think I know about every road in New England that goes that high or higher, but I'm clueless on which have potential starting points low enough to make for that much climbing. Greylock???

If Bartlett NH to the top of Jefferson Notch could be considered a single climb that would be my guess for the largest single climb in New England.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Greylock starting from North Adams, so you get some climbing up to the park entrance and then the climb inside the park itself. It is a longer climb than coming up the south side which was the longest I had done previously in years past.
    Last edited by taodemon; 01-02-2019 at 11:48 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by taodemon View Post
    Greylock starting from North Adams, so you get some climbing up to the park entrance and then the climb inside the park itself. It is a longer climb than coming up the south side which was the longest I had done previously in years past.
    Thanks. I've also been curious about which way up Greylock is more climbing (they seem about equally brutal to me) so thanks for clearing that up too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    South side only gets you about 2302ft and has a long flat section halfway which makes it a lot easier. It was part of the ride with the most climbing. Starting at a rest area on rt2 we did whitcomb, greylock from the north, crossed over into NY, went north than crossed back over the petersburg pass and then climbed the switchback on rte 2.

I think JasonB176 did or had planned on doing a similar route earlier this year as well.
    Last edited by taodemon; 01-02-2019 at 01:42 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    4th straight year with 9k plus miles (and likely my last - due to worsening arthritis in my back, hips and knees)

Prior to that, I'm not sure I had ridden 9k miles total in my lifetime..

Note that lack of elevation relative to my distance is due to an acute allergy to steep inclines. No small feat considering that I live in the foothills of the cascade mountains. I go waaaay out of my way to avoid climbs (I'm 6' 5" 230lbs).

Last edited by Finx; 01-02-2019 at 01:24 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    5877 miles. My lowest total in the last 10 years. Last winter was harsh, so I got out of shape & got off to a slow start. Then family obligations conspired to prevent me from riding as much as I would like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 Cycling Statistics-2018chart.jpg  
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here: