2020 Tarmacs

Thread: 2020 Tarmacs

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008

2020 Tarmacs

When do the new Tarmacs usually get released (non S-Works)? I am looking to buy a new bike and the 2019 version in my size (multiple models) are totally sold out and are not available from Specialized. The shop said the new ones would be "late summer, possibly August or September." This would suck for me as I really don't want to wait for NBD.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, they may be telling you the truth about when the new models will probably be available, but I think you need to find a new shop because mine (Brooklyn, NY) has multiple Tarmacs in all sizes available.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    To be fair, the mint green Tarmac Comp Disc in size 58 is available. But I feel if I wanted a Celeste knock-off, I might as well just get the real thing. They also had the Sport version, but I am not 100% on the 105 vs Ultegra debate. Plus, I the colors, to me, are just okay.

I was looking at the Tarmac Comp Disc in size 58 (in black) or maybe even the Tarmac Expert Disc (in either color).

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by lightning33 View Post
    They also had the Sport version, but I am not 100% on the 105 vs Ultegra debate.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this but, why not try both before you decide.

If it were me I think I'd buy the Sport Disc and buy a pair of new Roval C 38 Disc wheels along with a pair of S-Works tires off ebay and save about $1200 over the Expert Disc model.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ngl View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by this but, why not try both before you decide.

If it were me I think I'd buy the Sport Disc and buy a pair of new Roval C 38 Disc wheels along with a pair of S-Works tires off ebay and save about $1200 over the Expert Disc model.
    I just meant i havenít figured out if I think Ultegra is worth the extra 800 bucks or not. It seems 105 and Ultegra are closer is quality and performance than they used to be. Thoughts?

Oh, also the Comp level comes 52/36 and Sport is 50/34

RoadBikeReview Member
    You are spending a lot of money for a bicycle. You should decide, very clearly, what you want, and then bend the world to you rather than bending to the world. If a great buy springs up thatís close enough? Great! If color really matters, stick to your guns. Itís 2019, you donít need to be married to your shop. Let them know what you want and see if they can magically produce it? You might be surprised, they also have an internet connection.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I just meant i havenít figured out if I think Ultegra is worth the extra 800 bucks or not. It seems 105 and Ultegra are closer is quality and performance than they used to be. Thoughts?
    In my opinion there is minimal discernible difference. I'd rather spend the money on wheels and tires or just keep it in my wallet.

Oh, also the Comp level comes 52/36 and Sport is 50/34
    What do these numbers mean to you? Can you spin the 52/11 or even the 50/11 for that matter? I can't.