25mm too thick for calipers
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010

25mm too thick for calipers

Is this typical to have to deflate 25mm tires first to clear the brake pads?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Obviously you have Campagnolo brakes on your bike. I have that problem too. I give my wheel a good smack to get it past the calipers, but I don't deflate. Shimano has a lever on its calipers so no problem there.

I'd go 28mm on my commuter, but I don't see how unless I fit Shimano brakes and use the caliper lever while also opening the brakes from the brifter too. In fact that's what I'll do yeh, get a pair of 105 calipers!

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    User error.
    The brake releases sit on the Campagnolo brake levers.

Push the aluminium pin located just behind the middle hole on the brake lever in this picture sideways/outwards. (Lower end levers dont have the holes, but the pin is there.)
    This is BTW a much smarter solution than the one used by Shimano and SRAM, as braking efficiency will be just as good with the caliper in "open" position.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    campy calipers do not need the opening lever on the caliper. You need to switch the brifter lever to caliper opening mode.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by T0mi
    campy calipers do not need the opening lever on the caliper. You need to switch the brifter lever to caliper opening mode.

Please excuse my confusing post. I understand how Campagnolo brakes open as all my bikes fave campy fitted. What I've experienced with the 25mm Contis and veloce brakes and levers is that even with the the brake lever open there is still resistance to getting the tyre through the open calipers.

My suggestion is to have Campy levers and Shimano brake calipers and have everything open if one wants to go bigger than 25mm, as I've contemplated-I'd like to try 28mm tyres eventually.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorCyclist
    Not uncommon if you have your brake pads set very close (too close, IMO) to the rim.

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    Ah! Old wisdom in my parts is to run Campagnolo calipers more open than Shimano calipers. I run mine so that I can reach the lever from the drops, but the sweet spot is where fingers are at their strongest. (Hope this makes sense.)

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorCyclist
    Yeah, somewhat... even my Specialized Secteur, the 25mm tires were difficult to clear the Tektro brakes (set from the factory). Some readjustment of the brakes, and it's no longer an issue

I ride in circles..
    My 25mm GP4000's were a little tight pushing through the caliper of my Force brakes... 23's slide right in no problem though. Not uncommon.
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

RoadBikeReview Member

No issue with Conti's

Campag Chorus/Record 10, brakes and shifters with Conti GP4 25's, no issues.
    i've got limited minutes left in life, don't waste my time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    I have tektro road calipers , they have the lever but doesn't seerm to open up as far as Shimano.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Maybe you should try setting them up with more clearance. They actually work better that way. A lot of riders think the pads should be as close as possible, but as kbwh noted, the best braking comes when they're set so that the fingers are more closed at the point of maximum braking, rather than more extended. You get more strength and better modulation that way. The simple way to determine that point is to adjust the cable so the levers almost bottom out on the bar when you squeeze as hard as you can.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    I don't think it's setup too tight at all, it's setup for small hands with a specialized 10mm shim and the lever can almost touch the bar.

If I turn the barrel adjustment on the caliper it opens up enough, but it is not indexed and I have to mess around with the lever feel / distance again. It is easier to deflate in that regard. But I will try to open the barrel just enough to clear the tire to see how it feels in operation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sounds like you're doing all you can. Use of the shims gives you less play to work with.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    I almost always use 25s 7 I have a hard time fitting them through either my Dura Ace or 105 brakes. And yes, I like my brakes pretty close to the rim. The front wheel comes off a lot since I have to remove it to get it in my car. I don't deflate it, I just kind of "saw" it back & forth or give the top of the tire a good smack with my hand. You'll want to make sure the QR is open far enough to allow the wheel to clear the lawyer lips.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.