2nd Failure Cannondale SI Hollowgram Cranks

Dec 2007

2nd Failure Cannondale SI Hollowgram Cranks

Riding a Cannondale R5000 all DA and I keep having issues with the SI cranks coming apart. About 2 years ago Cannondale replaced the original cranks because of the same problem. Now two years later, the same problem.. Cranks are cracking at the seams. I'm not that hard on them and there is probably less than 5000 miles on them.

Hard to accept spending $400+ on new cranksarms every two years as normal. Guess I have to go on down to the LBS an hour away and see what they say. They are technically out of warranty so I may have to spend the bucks only to probably see them break a third time. It may be time to switch to different crankset.

I've never had crank arms fail on any other type of crankset except Cannondale SI's. And now two times.

Attached are pics of the problem.

Anybody else having this problem?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    If I had to pay to replace them, I'd definitely be going with a different brand, e.g. Ultregra, Dura Ace, Chorus, Record, etc.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

Dec 2007
    Davoosie -

the recall only related to carbon 2 piece cranks, not the aluminum. The aluminum crankarms have never been recalled to my knowledge and they are much more expensive than the carbons because the are "so much better".

Obviously they have issues with them as this is my second set that's coming apart.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Not much useful information here, but two CODA crank failures in the crank section of this list. Caution: gruesome pictures.

http://pardo.net/pardo/bike/pic/fail/000.html

For Rent
    Quote Originally Posted by rkelly12
    Davoosie -

the recall only related to carbon 2 piece cranks, not the aluminum. The aluminum crankarms have never been recalled to my knowledge and they are much more expensive than the carbons because the are "so much better".

Obviously they have issues with them as this is my second set that's coming apart.
    Oh, my bad

Still I don't think it would hurt to contact Cannondale since this is obviously a defect in the crankarm.

uhhhh, what?
    Apr 2002
    hmmm, looks like the crack'n'fail moniker lives on.

i'd certainly be switching brands at this point.
    plus a change, plus c'est la m'me chose - alphonse karr