2nd Retul fit....
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014

2nd Retul fit....

I began riding spring of Ď14, starting w/ a Retul fit when I purchased the bike. I had been doing spin classes since 2012 so I expected back pain to be an issue (I have 3 herniated disks in my lower back and could not find a comfy position on the spin bikes) and was willing to try a fitting to see if some pain could be alleviated. It worked well for about 4 years, indeed minimizing pain.

I didnít ride before this fit, so I imagine my riding style has evolved over the past 5 years. Additionally, I began stretching daily 2 years ago, so I was tighter then than now. Iím still tight, just a bit less so.

But the past year has not felt right. A year ago I changed saddles after wearing out the other one. Same model, updated version, but it never felt like it was in the same spot. I rode on. Three months ago I replaced my shimano pedals and cleats w/ Vector pedals and Look cleats. That change made me feel more off. Additionally there seemed to be more rocking or bouncing on the bike. Over the 5 years Iíve laid the bike over a few times ó early on by not clipping-out and many others by thinking the bike was leaned well against something only to see it crash to the pavement (sigh).

So I felt a new fit was in order. I wonít bore you with the old numbers versus the new numbers, or list the changes made. Simply put my bike feels good again and Iím thankful to my LBS.
    Last edited by Mckdaddy; 02-10-2019 at 07:26 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Glad to hear it worked out well.

I had a similar experience.

Fit on bike A felt good so I thought everything was good.

5 years later I bought bike B from a different shop that came with a free Retul fit so figured what to heck.

MASSIVE improvement even though I didn't know I had room for improvement.

Turns out the Bike A guy is a bit of a hack and because I have extreme flexibility he gave me the fit a 23 year old TDF pro would have. But I'm 53 and favor long rides/races not crits so Bike B guy too that into consideration and made it less aggressive. And I can still be as aggressive as I want with an elbow bend and using the drops more.

Which goes to show what everyone says: Retul is just a tool and it's still about the person using it and their discretion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Glad to hear it worked out well.

Retul is just a tool and it's still about the person using it and their discretion.

Agreed. I have a sincere affection for my chosen LBS and wouldíve utilized whatever fit tool their fitters adopted.