45 miles on a Clif bar wrapper...

May 2003

Question 45 miles on a Clif bar wrapper...

My improvised tire-boot failed today after lasting 45 miles. I was pretty darn impressed that it lasted that long, to be honest!

Anyway, it got me thinking...

What's your favorite improvised tire-boot and how long do they last you?

Or, alternatively, what's the oddest tire-boot you've used? (We all get desperate when it's 30 miles to home and your tire has a gaping gash in it)

Sound off, RBR!

Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by emckee
    I usually use those big patches that come in patch kits that are too large for road tubes. You can glue them into the inside of the tire. They have always gotten me home.

I found that dollar bills will eventually be cut through where they are exposed to the slice in the tire.
    "Listen, my son, trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken

Apr 2004
    I've gone 40 miles with a Clif Bar wrapper covering a half inch gash in my tire.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My improvised tire-boot failed today after lasting 45 miles. I was pretty darn impressed that it lasted that long, to be honest!

Or, alternatively, what's the oddest tire-boot you've used? (We all get desperate when it's 30 miles to home and your tire has a gaping gash in it)

Sound off, RBR!

I cut two or three extra strips of Velox cloth rim tape keep it stuck on top of the regular Velox. It is strong and already has adhesive so for me its a great tire boot.

May 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by teoteoteo
    I cut two or three extra strips of Velox cloth rim tape keep it stuck on top of the regular Velox. It is strong and already has adhesive so for me its a great tire boot.
    That sounds far more durable than a tube patch, and probably easier to keep in place than my preferred solution: tyvek. I just put a piece of an old race number in my saddle bag with my tube. Either way, though - infinitely better than a dollar bill.

Mar 2006
    I always wrap one of my tire levers with some duct tape.
    Works for other repairs too.

Moderatus Puisne
    I was wondering how long it was going to take someone to say duct tape.

That stuff fixes everything!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Empty soy sauce packet for last 40 miles of century.

Cannot bench own weight
    I fixed a guy's tire with a dollar bill, and then proceded to ride 35 miles with him. I let him keep the dollar.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003

An empty GU pack will get you home....

then throw the tire away.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Under ACrookedSky
    I usually use those big patches that come in patch kits that are too large for road tubes. You can glue them into the inside of the tire. They have always gotten me home.

I found that dollar bills will eventually be cut through where they are exposed to the slice in the tire.

I still ride with a rear tire patched from inside on a small cut from a deep glass cut. I put on over 500 miles since then on same tire. Call me crazy but I wasn't gonna throw away a $50 tire.

I carry a patch kit besides a piece of old tube for those unexpected situations. Long time ago a buddy of mine made it from greenpoint to bay ridge on a busted crankarm held together by zipties on 5 boro tour.

Spicy Dumpling

Sound off, RBR!
    I carry a tyvek cd envelope with me for use as a boot. I put my tube inside to keep it from getting cut in my seatpack. Serves two purposes.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

go up
    I have a piece of duct tape folded over itself, sticky side to sticky side, which I then cut down to a 1" x 1.5" rectangle. I've carried it on every ride I've made since I cut a tire and had to walk a long way home over 4 years ago; I still have not yet had to see if it works or not. I guess I still have it.
    deadlegs

I've breathed the mountain air, man. (J. Cash)

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

Looking for my Amish Love
    I'll second the velox rim tape. I wrap a piece around my seatpost (also serves as a visible guide for the correct seat height). Sticky enough to hold in place and the pressure of the tube against it keeps it from moving.

RoadBikeReview Member

the only time I've been thankful for litterbugs..

I finished the last 30 miles of a recent ride on my third tube and a ketchup packet. We have a whole host of items to choose from these days with the way people dispose of their trash.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004

Tire in a tire

Take an old tire and cut a few 1 inch and 2 inch lengths. Trim off the bead, leaving a nice arched piece, carry them with you always. Insert into tire over the cut when you replace the tube. They last forever, and don't take much space in the gadget bag.

Apr 2006
    Nice work all.

I too have duct tape wrapped around a tire lever, although I have used Park glueless patches for a tire boot if the gash isn't too big. I also carry the same toolkit for my mountain bike and road bike, so I have a tubeless tire patch kit too for the bad road bike tire slashes. Zip ties are priceless too. I do like the idea of old tire sections with the beads removed- I'm gonna do that when I get home...

RoadBikeReview Member

Powerbar Wrapper

I rode most of last season on a tire that had a half inch gash patched up with a powerbar wrapper on it. It became a personal challenge to see how long I could go with it.