Abdominal Pain - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 38 of 38

Thread: Abdominal Pain

  1. #26
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    31
    No blood in urine.

  2. #27
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    252
    Good. You don't want to deal with kidney stones.

  3. #28
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    That's usually like a lower back pain, not an abdominal pain. Blood in urine would be a dead giveaway though. I've passed a couple of stones which started as a lower back pain, then a day or two later, there was blood in my urine.
    It can be pain in the back, side and stomach and feel like someone squeezing your nuts in a vice grip. I've passed 6 stones - one required a stent and ultrasonic to break free and the most recent was October 2017 (got lucky as it was a small one requiring no emergency room visits). I've had 6 babies now, but fortunately I don't have to financially support them - haha!

    Symptoms of a Kidney Stone
    Last edited by Methodical; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:40 AM.

  4. #29
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,109
    First thing I learned studying anatomy the “old way”, cadaver lab, was that not everyone is like the textbook. Appendix is typically lower right abdominal quadrant but I’ve seen a couple cadavers with appendix on left side and saw one off the transverse colon.

    Left lower quadrant for differentials, I’m thinking Sigmoid colon issue, Psoas muscle, iliac artery or kidney.

    One of my first back pain radiating to abdomen came to me in student clinic. Lean athletic guy healthy as a horse in every respect except for occasional severe back/abdominal pain on left side. He had been to several MD’s and had full work up including X-ray with no conclusive diagnosis. We ordered MRI which was new tech (back in the late 80’s). No need for prior authorization then as insurance paid everything even with $hitty insurance!

    MRI revealed 3rd residual kidney located adjacent to left psoas. Congenital anomaly that became symptomatic over time. He had surgery to remove kidney and 100% recovery.

    You need proper imaging and a real Doc!

  5. #30
    xxl
    xxl is offline
    Moderator
    Reputation: xxl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    35,601
    Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    First thing I learned studying anatomy the “old way”, cadaver lab, was that not everyone is like the textbook. Appendix is typically lower right abdominal quadrant but I’ve seen a couple cadavers with appendix on left side and saw one off the transverse colon.

    Left lower quadrant for differentials, I’m thinking Sigmoid colon issue, Psoas muscle, iliac artery or kidney.

    One of my first back pain radiating to abdomen came to me in student clinic. Lean athletic guy healthy as a horse in every respect except for occasional severe back/abdominal pain on left side. He had been to several MD’s and had full work up including X-ray with no conclusive diagnosis. We ordered MRI which was new tech (back in the late 80’s). No need for prior authorization then as insurance paid everything even with $hitty insurance!

    MRI revealed 3rd residual kidney located adjacent to left psoas. Congenital anomaly that became symptomatic over time. He had surgery to remove kidney and 100% recovery.

    You need proper imaging and a real Doc!
    You wanna see some anatomic anomalies, check out PO. Tons of people there have their heads up their asses.

    (Actually, it really is a cesspool, I can't recommend it...and I'm the moderator. }
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

    Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

    "Oh my god. This is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I’m f—d.”

  6. #31
    [REDACTED]
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    It can be pain in the back, side and stomach and feel like someone squeezing your nuts in a vice grip. I've passed 6 stones - one required a stent and ultrasonic to break free and the most recent was October 2017 (got lucky as it was a small one requiring no emergency room visits). I've had 6 babies now, but fortunately I don't have to financially support them - haha!

    Symptoms of a Kidney Stone
    OUCH! The ones I've had were comparatively mild and passed on their own. Still not fun. Painful, but not debilitating.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  7. #32
    [REDACTED]
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,497
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    You wanna see some anatomic anomalies, check out PO. Tons of people there have their heads up their asses.
    You mean like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  8. #33
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BlazingPedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    369
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    Good. You don't want to deal with kidney stones.
    Yeah. Kidney stones aren't fatal, you just wish they were.

  9. #34
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    OUCH! The ones I've had were comparatively mild and passed on their own. Still not fun. Painful, but not debilitating.
    The sad truth is those that have kidney stones are the ones always susceptible to have them and no one seems to really know why.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    Yeah. Kidney stones aren't fatal, you just wish they were.
    That's definitely one way to see it. I've had them so bad that I just sat motionless and did not want to talk or see anyone because they always want to ask am I ok - hell no (ouch), it hurt when I spoke or moved from speaking. So, I tell everyone in in the house in advance - I'm not ok and I don't want to talk because it hurts to talk and move.

    The OP definitely needs to have some MRIs and other similar test done by a specialist(s) to see what's going on.

  10. #35
    [REDACTED]
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    The sad truth is those that have kidney stones are the ones always susceptible to have them and no one seems to really know why.
    Luckily, I haven't had one in over a decade. I've only passed two in my lifetime and I'm 58. Supposedly, drinking plenty of liquids and acidic foods helps prevent them, but the jury is still out on this.

    I have a friend who has passed over a dozen stones. A couple of times, they had to be broken up with multiple doses of ultrasound. There was even a danger of his kidneys shutting down from a blockage.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  11. #36
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    OUCH! The ones I've had were comparatively mild and passed on their own. Still not fun. Painful, but not debilitating.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    Yeah. Kidney stones aren't fatal, you just wish they were.
    Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    First thing I learned studying anatomy the “old way”, cadaver lab, was that not everyone is like the textbook. Appendix is typically lower right abdominal quadrant but I’ve seen a couple cadavers with appendix on left side and saw one off the transverse colon.

    Left lower quadrant for differentials, I’m thinking Sigmoid colon issue, Psoas muscle, iliac artery or kidney.

    One of my first back pain radiating to abdomen came to me in student clinic. Lean athletic guy healthy as a horse in every respect except for occasional severe back/abdominal pain on left side. He had been to several MD’s and had full work up including X-ray with no conclusive diagnosis. We ordered MRI which was new tech (back in the late 80’s). No need for prior authorization then as insurance paid everything even with $hitty insurance!

    MRI revealed 3rd residual kidney located adjacent to left psoas. Congenital anomaly that became symptomatic over time. He had surgery to remove kidney and 100% recovery.

    You need proper imaging and a real Doc!

    Whoa, are you saying he had 3 kidneys? How did this happen?

  12. #37
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    OUCH! The ones I've had were comparatively mild and passed on their own. Still not fun. Painful, but not debilitating.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    Yeah. Kidney stones aren't fatal, you just wish they were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Luckily, I haven't had one in over a decade. I've only passed two in my lifetime and I'm 58. Supposedly, drinking plenty of liquids and acidic foods helps prevent them, but the jury is still out on this.

    I have a friend who has passed over a dozen stones. A couple of times, they had to be broken up with multiple doses of ultrasound. There was even a danger of his kidneys shutting down from a blockage.
    I agree and have subscribe to drinking lots more water. My doctor provide me a list of things that is suggested to avoid and it had chocolate and coffee on the list and whole bunch of other stuff. I love chocolate. I told him I may as well just go grazin' in a grass field based on the list of things to avoid.

    That's scary about your friend's kidney. I always be sure to have a kidney function test done whenever I have blood work.

    I'm really curious to see what the OPs diagnosis is now. I hope it's nothing serious.

  13. #38
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: surfinguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    189
    OP:
    1) Drink more water
    2) Make an appt with a urologist to rule out any kidney stones
    3) Make an appt with a gastroenterologist

    Do you take a lot of ibuprofen? The reason I list these things the way I did, is this is exactly what happened to me. A lot of back, side and abdominal pain, thus the ibuprofen. Turns out I had serious kidney stones. Got rid of those (holy hell, I don't ever want to experience that again!). Still had a ton of abdominal pain 3-4 months later. Saw the GI specialist, scheduled an upped endoscopy and it turns out I had three significant ulcers believed to be from too much ibuprofen. (Two ulcers in the stomach and one in the duodenum.) I'm three months out from the endoscopy with twice a day Prilosec and while the stomach pain is gone, I still have pain in the duodenum area. Going for a second endoscopy at the end of August to recheck status.

    Good luck man!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Update on my foot pain/calf pain...
    By bismo37 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-03-2007, 08:15 AM
  2. Any way that back pain causes pub pain?
    By siclmn in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-02-2007, 09:25 PM
  3. Any way that back pain causes pub pain?
    By siclmn in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-02-2007, 07:40 AM
  4. Side stitches - abdominal cramp
    By Skidoo in forum Racing, Training, Nutrition, Triathlons
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-07-2006, 08:47 AM
  5. need help with foot pain, hot spot and toe pain,
    By jiggs in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-20-2004, 08:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.