Advice needed - damaged Trek
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010

Fini

Got a new Madone 5.5 last Christmas. In May I noticed a crack in the seat tube, it runs for about 10 inches or so. Long story short, Trek aren't willing to warranty the frame. Time to save up for a new frame.
    Last edited by CyclingI1985; 11-02-2010 at 07:40 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What size tyre did you use? Did you go through a shop, or directly to Trek?
    "It ain't a teacup that the Queen gave you - it's a bike. Ride it!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    I used Bontrager tyres, 700X23c. First of all I dealt with the Trek Distributor, then with Trek directly.

Höchstgeschwindigkeit
    Quote Originally Posted by CyclingI1985
    I used Bontrager tyres, 700X23c. First of all I dealt with the Trek Distributor, then with Trek directly.
    700x23 is the industry standard and Bontrager is a Trek brand. If what you are saying is correct and you are the original owner of the bike purchased from an authorized dealer then you should pursue this further.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    Can you zoom out a bit so we can see the crack releative to the frame?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    All I have are close up pics unfortunately, sorry. Trek did offer to take it back and cut it up to check it for failures, but to me that's pointless. What I can make out, Trek warranties their frames, yes, but since each one is apparently flawless then any failure is not their fault and therefore not a warranty issue. It's a weird failure for sure, but the bike never had a crash and I only got around 2 months of use out of it, it's a real shame. It's my third trek, but I can't see me forking out again for this brand. Might try and get it fixed, but I'd never have confidence in a fixed frame. Hoping Ti bikes get up to speed soon!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Interesting. I'm not sure if it's because I see so many Treks on the road and read about Trek owners online, but I hear about frame cracks 2-3 times a week! I also find their responses to issues such as yours interesting. Some people have interactions with Trek like you describe. Others get frame replacements with no hesitations. I wonder how/who makes that determination?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    I think I'd send it back to Trek and let them cut it up. What have you got to loose? Can't ride now anyway. Maybe they'll determine that it was a frame failure and is under warranty. Even if it's not and they won't warranty it they at least will compensate you with a discount on a replacement frame. BTW, I don't think that's a seam crack, the seams on a Trek carbon frame run crossways not linear or longways across the length of a tube. HTH.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    I agree, one of my mates had his one year old madone replaced for a seat mast problem without question, but as of yet I've had no luck.

Squirrel Hunter
    Feb 2003

Long wait

Quote Originally Posted by CyclingI1985
    ...Hoping Ti bikes get up to speed soon!
    Not sure what you are waiting for. I am pretty sure the Ti market has matured and there is not much left for them to get "up to speed."
    Luck is the intersection of preparation and opportunity.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    Boy everybody seems to be taking this pretty calmly. The bike's not 1 yr old, there's a 10" crack and Trek won't stand behind their product. I think it might be time to let Trek know that you intend to pursue the matter further and then go spend some time with a lawyer. I would not let Trek cut up the bike without making sure you have everything covered. What if they cut up the bike and then say we are not going to replace the bike. There goes your evidence into the dumpster.

I like waterboarding...
    My advise is, if you've paid for it on a credit card to call them and see if they will assist you with the service issues. American Express will (I've used it a few times) offer to pickup the warranty costs / refund your money / mediate the dispute on your behalf.

I realize in this case you will be hurting the dealer directly but pressure on them is pressure on Trek.

In either case the frame needs to go back to Trek before you can get anywhere with this problem. Going back and forth via email is worthless.

For what its worth, you say the crack is 10", even IF you had used an incorrect sized tire, it would have only caused 1 - 2 inches of damage at the contact path and you would have know immediately due to your inability to pedal the bike forward. You need to get a little tougher with Trek. Get your facts down in a very clear manor and explain the logic behind each point in your case. If they fail to move forward you need to advise them that they are going to see litigation over this..
    .......__o
    .......\ <,
    ....( )/ ( )

Bike Wing Conspiracy
    What size tire did they say should have been used on the bike?

How would a tire mediate that kind of damage?

Talk to a lawyer. Time to take the big guys on.

Write letters to Trek sponsored teams and let them know what is going on.

Make some noise.

Make some noise!

RoadBikeReview Member
    You spent almost 4 grand. Call an attorney, a friend, if you have one, that will write a letter for free. Usually a stern letter will at least get them to talk to you.

I don't know why they ever fight these. We all know how cheap a carbon frame from China is, and I can only imagine that for Trek it is even less than that, they should be over zealous about replacing a frame and getting a more loyal customer.
    "I'm a real athlete, I'm not trying to be the best at exercising." - Kenny Powers

banned
    something doesn't add up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou3000
    You spent almost 4 grand. Call an attorney, a friend, if you have one, that will write a letter for free. Usually a stern letter will at least get them to talk to you.

I don't know why they ever fight these. We all know how cheap a carbon frame from China is, and I can only imagine that for Trek it is even less than that, they should be over zealous about replacing a frame and getting a more loyal customer.
    While I don't like Trek (the company), I have to address this comment...

High-end Madones are made in the US. They have to pay US wages to the workers making those frames. A Chinese worker makes about 65 cents per hour. A US worker in Wisconsin makes at least $7.25/hour. China has almost zero environmental controls. The US has pretty strict ones; which cost money. Ergo, the Madone frame probably costs Trek at LEAST 4 times more than the equivalent Chinese frame.

Unfortunately, they seem to fail more than the Chinese crap; probably due to tube thickness. You can only go so light with a given material...

Edit: Nevermind. Just checked and saw that the Trek Madone 5.5 isn't a US-made frame. Tube thickness rule still applies, though.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    I agree, somethings not right here and I'm talking with the OP's story. He says that trek accuses him of using the wrong tire, then (I am assuming) he tells them he is running 700 - 23 tires and Trek still stands by the "wrong tires size" scenario? I don't believe it, and I'm not buying it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by martinrjensen
    I agree, somethings not right here and I'm talking with the OP's story. He says that trek accuses him of using the wrong tire, then (I am assuming) he tells them he is running 700 - 23 tires and Trek still stands by the "wrong tires size" scenario? I don't believe it, and I'm not buying it.
    Here is an article where Trek blames another manufactuer for a steerer tube failure. I don't know the featured rider in the story so he may have tightened the stem too tight, but I wonder if Trek took care of him after the negative publicity:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/...r-tubes_121389

Between the OP's story, the article, and countless other stories I've heard from people, I wonder if I would even want a frame replacement. I think I would just take a refund if possible.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    My Trek/Gary Fisher also cracked, as I noted in this thread:
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...d.php?t=229326.

Last I heard,Trek is cutting mine apart to inspect it also, and I don't like the noises they are making that would question whether it is covered under warranty.

If they don't honor the warranty I will not hesitate to kick it up a level. I find it amazing that, for all the bikes they sell, such claims would be disputed.

I'm also a bit bothered that on this board there is always someone who doubts the veracity of the OP's story. I mean, if you f**k up and do something stupid with your bike most times its pretty obvious, especially to this crowd, so why would you want to post here for all to call you on it? But bikes do fail even if if you are JRA. I posted my story to inform the community of potential problems with their own bikes. In other industries sharing such info helps build a case for recalls and class action suits.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I work for a Trek shop and this should be warrantied for sure if everything is as the OP states. But the scenario sounds weird because Trek has warrantied everything we have asked them to with essentially no questions asked. Why are you (OP) having to deal with this issue, the shop where you bought it should be taking control of it.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Chef Tony
    I'm also a bit bothered that on this board there is always someone who doubts the veracity of the OP's story.
    Not always—generally only in cases when the OPs conclusion simply isn't supported by the evidence he offers. Consider this thread: all there is at this point is a single almost unrecognizable image and the story of an argument between the OP, an entity he calls the "Trek Distributor" and Trek itself. IMO, questions raised by this sketchiness are legitimate.

Beetpull DeLite
    Contact user tbb001. He works at Trek and apparently has something to do with warranty, as he has posted in at least two threads about asploding Treks.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...d.php?t=230192

RoadBikeReview Member
    Honestly, the thread is supicious. Why wouldn't you be dealing with the dealer you bought the bike from, instead of Trek directly?

Why do I get the feeling you bought this frame used on Ebay and are mad because it has a crack that you can't get warrantied.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I agree this sounds totally bogus. I've had a few warranty claims with Trek in the past - never an issue, never an argument from them - except when I crashed the bike. Even then they bent over backwards to give me a deal on a replacement frame, even threw in a Project one paint job no charge.

Besides, the OP's story is worthless without more pictures.

Banned forever.....or not
    Without a bigger picture, to see where the "crack" is, I have to say that the story sounds "funny"

Maybe the tube was defective......maybe a repair stand clamp cracked the tube....maybe there was an impact........maybe the people at the Trek store are being Dicks......
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast