Advise please re: injury/recovery and rash down below

Aug 2004

Advise please re: injury/recovery and rash down below

I am a head trauma survivor who is slated to ride more than 1,000 miles across NY state starting this september at 50 -70 mile daily stints to raise public awareness regarding head injury...recovery from trauma (I was shot in the head).

I have two questions.

1) I crashed July 31 and sustained hairline fracture to shoulder, mild concussion, contusions. Am getting back on bike tomorrow. Prior to injury was in ready-shape for ride. Any suggestions on my return to training?

2) Rash down below (ugh)...any thoughts? hydrocortisone no help.

Thank you all. If ever any of you need to link up with help/support re: head injury, please let me know.

Peter

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Not long off the bike

You've only been off the bike 10 days or so. You should take a few days to get back into riding, but you haven't lost much fitness in this time. Not much to worry about there.

You need to be more specific about the "rash down below." Is it an inflamation, saddle sores, in your crotch or on your rear end, etc.?

Call me a Fred
    Quote Originally Posted by Yawpkahrma
    See a doctor and find out what is rash is. Get it cleared up before the big ride.
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2002
    I am a head trauma survivor who is slated to ride more than 1,000 miles across NY state starting this september at 50 -70 mile daily stints to raise public awareness regarding head injury...recovery from trauma (I was shot in the head).

I have two questions.

Peter

See a Doctor, could be a yeast infection.

Aug 2004

Thank you, and explanation

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    You've only been off the bike 10 days or so. You should take a few days to get back into riding, but you haven't lost much fitness in this time. Not much to worry about there.

You need to be more specific about the "rash down below." Is it an inflamation, saddle sores, in your crotch or on your rear end, etc.?

In the crocth, where the thigh meetsgroin, both sides, irritated skin now drying and seeming to peel off with consistent use of corn starch powder and now, this evening, starting with Gold Bond.

Thank you for reassurance re: conditioning.

Peter

Go Blue

What does your doctor say?

1) I crashed July 31 and sustained hairline fracture to shoulder, mild concussion, contusions. Am getting back on bike tomorrow. Prior to injury was in ready-shape for ride. Any suggestions on my return to training?

Peter
    When I broke my shoulder last July (cracked uper humerus), my doctor said to stay off of the bike for two months. Then he looked at me, said that he knew that I would not stay off of the bike and that if I fell on the shoulder before it healed, I would be in big trouble. He suggested that I ride on the indoor trainer to keep in shape. Well, I did ride a little, but my broken shoulder limited my range of motion at first and it hurt like hell when I rode. As much as I hated riding on the indoor trainer in July and August, I spent many hours on it. I could "ride" without putting any pressure on my shoulder. The bottom line, the shoulder healed and I was able to do a century in early September.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

Keep with the trainer

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS
    When I broke my shoulder last July (cracked uper humerus), my doctor said to stay off of the bike for two months. Then he looked at me, said that he knew that I would not stay off of the bike and that if I fell on the shoulder before it healed, I would be in big trouble. He suggested that I ride on the indoor trainer to keep in shape. Well, I did ride a little, but my broken shoulder limited my range of motion at first and it hurt like hell when I rode. As much as I hated riding on the indoor trainer in July and August, I spent many hours on it. I could "ride" without putting any pressure on my shoulder. The bottom line, the shoulder healed and I was able to do a century in early September.
    I have a riding bud who did the Ride the Rockies or one of the large week long Colorado tours. His total road miles before the trip; "0". All his training due to time constraints was on his trainer at evening hours when he had time. He was more than prepared, even he was surprised. Riding a trainer is harder work than riding the road, no coasting or downhills or wind to keep you cool. Could use a fan while on the trainer, still the resistance is greater on trainer vs. road riding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Agree with the previous two posters

This could very well be a fungal infection. Of course, without seeing it, it's tough to say-- I'm assuming that you don't want to post a picture of it!

If it is fungal, the key is to keep the area clean and dry. Nystatin powder is what we usually use in the hospital, though I don't recall if it's over the counter. One other thing-- if it is a fungal infection, putting hydrocortisone on it may actually impair healing. It's probably best to get your doctor to check it out.

hi, I'm Larry

Helpful hint

Ride with less air pressure in the tires. Get bigger tires if you need to.

I cracked a rib twice last year (two different ribs, at two different times). I kept riding. I found the bumps and jars painful. Dropping the tire pressure down to 90-100 area helped a lot with the jaring and pain.

1) Take it a little on the easy side and listen to your body and legs. If they feel like lead, keep it easy. If they feel like going, push it a bit. Just avoid pushing it two days in a row.

2) Try antibiotioc ointment. If that does not have any effect in a couple of days, you may want to check with a doctor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004

Apparently the bullet hit your moron nerves...

I have two questions.

Thank you all. If ever any of you need to link up with help/support re: head injury, please let me know.

Peter
    You get shot in the head, and then you ask rodies for medical advice....

God man! See a doctor!